Alcohol

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
1. Most state Driving limits are 0.08, not 00.8, (a couple are lower I think). UPS is zero tolerance, so that impairment limit isn't going to fly;
2. Turning yourself in for a HIMS/EAP after you get caught is too late;
3. If the Company gives you a Pass, they'll be expected (and grieved) to do it for everyone (I've seen it several times);
4. Your only hope is that your case gets traded for something the company wants. Your only hope is that your center manager and Sup state "he's a good guy" and make a case for keeping you. (seen this several times too).

Good luck.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In other words I can still get my :censored2: together even after I agreed to their alcohol programs? Brutal and honest opinions folks. Let it rip
If you stopped drinking 9 hours prior, after having "a drink", you would have not blown anything, let alone "barely at the state limit".

This is the same story quite a few unemployed UPS drivers have told over my 37 years.

Why don't we start over by you telling us the whole truth and what you really did so we can give you solid advice, instead of what you want to hear?

Until then, I don't have anything for you.

Johney

We had a feeder driver come to work and it just happened to be his night for the random testing. Blew way over the limit, was sent home, went through the program, still working to this day.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Right to the point: so a supervisor smelled alcohol on me before I didn’t even began to start my route( let alone start the truck) so 2 Union stewards who went through re hab for years who are keen to smelling alcohol, they didn’t smell anything. So I went to get tested and my B.A.C was barley at the state limit. So I get discharged at the same time they mean terminated. Mind you I had a drink 9 hours before I went to work. The nurse said I wouldn’t notice I was impaired despite not showing signs of it. So I’m screwed aren’t I?
Your BAC was barley? How much booze did you drink? Sheesh

There’s no noted history at all. This is the first time it was brought up. I simply agreed to the alcohol program right off the bat that was offered but still got discharged/suspended for Union local hearing. My own center manager has confidence I can come back, but I have my doubts
Well I just went by your previous posts of struggles with alcohol when your mom died and you said you were going in to ask for help with your alcohol problem, that's what I meant by noted history.

Either way man, get your :censored2: together. You can't just walk out on your job because your day is hard and you can't show up to work drunk.

Thebrownblob

If you stopped drinking 9 hours prior, after having "a drink", you would have not blown anything, let alone "barely at the state limit".

This is the same story quite a few unemployed UPS drivers have told over my 37 years.

Why don't we start over by you telling us the whole truth and what you really did so we can give you solid advice, instead of what you want to hear?

Until then, I don't have anything for you.
Real talk!

Trucker Clock

We had a feeder driver come to work and it just happened to be his night for the random testing. Blew way over the limit, was sent home, went through the program, still working to this day.

There are different "penalties" for random testing and reasonable cause testing.

If you're popped at a random test, you have the opportunity to enroll in the program and save your job. If you're popped for a reasonable cause test, you don't have the opportunity to enroll in the program and save your job.

Commercial Inside Release

You need about an hour per drink, after you stop drinking for it to metabolize out of your system. So, if you have 15-20 drinks between 7pm & midnight, at 9AM you will still fail a breathalyzer, and probably reek of booze.

Of course, the hour\drink rule only applies if your liver is in good shape. If you power drink for even a few years, your liver is going to take longer, per drink.

Trucker Clock

Right to the point: so a supervisor smelled alcohol on me before I didn’t even began to start my route( let alone start the truck)

You were on the clock ready to start driving.

So I went to get tested and my B.A.C was barley at the state limit.

You blew almost a 0.08 at 9:00 AM. You have a problem.

Mind you I had a drink 9 hours before I went to work.

I don't believe you. A drink 9 hours earlier and you blew over 0.07? Even if you had 10, you would not have blown that high.

And here is where you lose your job. You blew over a 0.07. Below that, and you do not lose your job. Above that, bye, bye.

Article 35

Section 4.11 Discipline

A positive test of 0.070 or above is a dischargeable offense.

Trucker Clock

You need about an hour per drink, after you stop drinking for it to metabolize out of your system. So, if you have 15-20 drinks between 7pm & midnight, at 9AM you will still fail a breathalyzer, and probably reek of booze.

Of course, the hour\drink rule only applies if your liver is in good shape. If you power drink for even a few years, your liver is going to take longer, per drink.

Sort of.

Your body will start processing alcohol the moment it reaches your liver. So the liver will have processed about 5 drinks between 7 and 12, as long as you've had at least 5 drinks during that time. Now, once you stop drinking, it will take hours more to process the rest of the alcohol if you've had more than 5 drinks.

If you had 15 drinks starting at 7 PM, your body should have all the alcohol processed by around 10 AM. So yes, the breathalyzer may show alcohol, but a 0.07? I don't think so. If he blew below a 0.07, he would not lose his job.

And, for a person to have 15 to 20 drinks on a work night? Well, he has a problem.

Trucker Clock

Wow. I didn't realize the company was so generous.

There is discipline for blowing less. But over 0.07 usually shows that it was not a night before binge. It was a total disregard for everything, drinking up until the time he starts work.

An employee who is tested for reasonable cause and whose alcohol level is 0.02 to 0.039 will be taken out of service for twenty-four (24) hours and receive a warning letter

An employee who is tested for reasonable cause and whose alcohol level is 0.040 to 0.069 will be taken out of service for twenty-four (24) hours, referred to a Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) and suspended for ten (10) days.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
There is discipline for blowing less. But over 0.07 usually shows that it was not a night before binge. It was a total disregard for everything, drinking up until the time he starts work.

An employee who is tested for reasonable cause and whose alcohol level is 0.02 to 0.039 will be taken out of service for twenty-four (24) hours and receive a warning letter

An employee who is tested for reasonable cause and whose alcohol level is 0.040 to 0.069 will be taken out of service for twenty-four (24) hours, referred to a Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) and suspended for ten (10) days.
This is still very reasonable and more than fair.
The Airline has zero tolerance. If you come to work drunk or drugged, you can turn yourself in and get some treatment. If you're caught and test positive, you're terminated. There's an FAA rule called "Safety Sensitive" covering Airmen. UPS, rightfully so, believes anyone involved with airplanes should be clean or smart enough to not come to work, including Loaders, Handlers, etc.