Alito Hearings

moreluck

golden ticket member
I have had the hearing on all day just kind of in the background. It's amazing how that man (Alito) is suppose to recall what he was thinking 20-25 yrs. ago in something he wrote. OMG, I can't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday.

He seems to be doing a good job in answering all the questions. JMHO. I think he'll do fine and will be confirmed.

sendagain

I think these hearings just enforce the need for term limits for our politicians. They really become little "gods" over time.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Our senators should be working on more important issues like simplifying these damn tax forms instead of bloviating on TV. They certainly like to hear themselves talk........and that's a bi-partisan statement!!

This hearing is important and the person doing the most talking should be the judge and not the questioners.

Kennedy sickens me!!!

tieguy

Banned
Yea. I didn't see but I hear CNN and Fox both reported that Mrs. Alito was so upset with the questioning that she got choked up and walked out of the proceedings. What a concept. Take a decent man who has served the public all these years , put him in front of congress and try to totally destroy his reputation.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I loved this by Ann Coulter....

"For fun, we ought to replace all the Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee with "American Idol" contestants (assuming they wouldn't object to serving on a committee that includes a degenerate like Teddy Kennedy). Democrats would still not be able to persuade a single normal American that Sam Alito is "out of the mainstream."

rushfan

I liked when Feinstein had to coach Kennedy on what to read. NPR went to station ID when that happened. I wonder why?

wkmac

Sen. Biden was reported to have said these hearing are a waste of time because the "condemned" (my words not his) never saying anything of importance.

Hey Joe, he can't because the rest of you clowns including the ones on the other side of the so-called isle are to damn busy grandstanding and mugging for the face time on camera. Best thing for this country IMO would be for Alito to standup, call you all out for the 2 faced as#holes that you are and then proceed to tell you how worthless and destructive you've all become to this country and then tell you to take your court position and shove it up where the sun don't shine and walk out!

That's what this country really needs more than anything else IMO.

Please! Please! Please! GW, nominate me. I'll even vote republican (holding my nose as I say it) next election if you just give me 30 minutes with those clowns and the TV cameras on. I'll take just 5 minutes!

You can bet it won't be pretty.
:sneaky2:

I

Information Please

Am I missing something, or isn't the biggest problem with Alito his views on the "unitary executive" theory and warrantless wiretapping, more than Roe v. Wade? I thought he had already come out in favor of overturning Roe v. Wade.

over9five

Staff member
"Kennedy sickens me!!!"

Oh God, me too!!! Just hearing his stupid (overly done) Boston accent makes me ill. And I'm from Mass!!!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I Liked the confrontation between Spechter and Kennedy, both washed up senile old farts, fighting for control. My local talk jocky from Pittsburgh, called him Snarlin Arlin.
But I would think it should be question- answer, then form your opinion and vote. Not grandstand about what YOU think thus far. Now I know why politics never interested me, moves too slow, very boring and too many vieing for their 15 more minutes of fame.

wkmac

Information Please said:
Am I missing something, or isn't the biggest problem with Alito his views on the "unitary executive" theory and warrantless wiretapping, more than Roe v. Wade? I thought he had already come out in favor of overturning Roe v. Wade.

I think at this point the democrats would take anything they could use to discredit the man. As for the unitary executive theory I believe Bush has used it 95 times so far during his tenure and I will agree it does seem to go far beyond Article 2 powers and beyond the seperation of powers doctrine but Congress has no clean hands either. The Congress will create various mandated programs to the States whereby Congress sets the rules and telling the States that they either perform the executive powers enforcement or lose federal funding in a variety of programs. The President and the executive branch are delegated the powers of enforcment in Article 2 and the Congress totally sidesteps the seperation of powers with it's own version of the unitary executive theory. In the law there is something called the "Clean Hands" doctrine and neither the Congress or the office of the President IMO qualifies under that doctrine.

Holding Alito to that level (while I agree to your point and am also concerned) by the Congressional democrats IMO is like a Sunday frontrow church goer speaking out in the community against all acts of sex beyond the missionary position but then on Saturday night the church goer is bangin' down the door of the local secret brothel as it's most valued customer. Oh the republicans are just as bad but their job is being Alito cheerleaders just as the roles would be reversed if the President were a democrat.

Like Rome, we have seen our zenith and must endure our corrupt Ceasars and a powerless Senate while we wait on the Goths and VisaGoths to sack what will be left of us in the end!

wkmac

Information Please said:

Hey IP,
Right after I made my previous comments to you I ventured out to some of my favorite anarcho-libertarian websites and found this which goes along with what you said. Hope you enjoy the piece. Be Cool!

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig5/silverglate6.html

I

Information Please

wkmac,
I don't agree with your statement: "Like Rome, we have seen our zenith and must endure our corrupt Ceasars and a powerless Senate while we wait on the Goths and VisaGoths to sack what will be left of us in the end!"

That sounds defeatist to me. I would think that perhaps the best thing to do would be to overthrow those who are corrupt and seize power in the legislature. There is a national election in a few months, and every seat in Congress is up for grabs. Now would be the time to throw the bums out and start anew. There really are some fresh faces running for Congress around the country, many of them veterans of our recent attempt at 'nation building', or region building as some of the party faithful refer to it.

I believe GWB said this in 2000:
The vice president and I have a disagreement about the use of troops. He believes in nation building. I would be very careful about using our troops as nation builders. I believe the role of the military is to fight and win war and therefore prevent war from happening in the first place. So I would take my responsibility seriously. And it starts with making sure we rebuild our military power. Morale in today's military is too low. We're having trouble meeting recruiting goals. We met the goals this year, but in the previous years we have not met recruiting goals. Some of our troops are not well-equipped. I believe we're overextended in too many places.

I see he has changed his mind on the nation building thing, but hasnt changed much of anything else. Thats why its time for a change, and another reason why a judge who would strengthen the Executive branch should be opposed. I'm reasonably sure Alito is an honest man, but his views on the Constitution could do irreparable harm to our Republic.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I.P.
"There is a national election in a few months, and every seat in Congress is up for grabs. Now would be the time to throw the bums out and start anew."

Start out with new bums........that sounds like a plan!:)

I

Information Please

From Websters
anew: in a new or different form

Moreluck,
Read the sentence after the one you quoted. Perhaps you are trying to be uncivil, or is that your idea of a joke?