Allergy Relief/Tips

yeaalabama1212

This time of the year is terrible for drivers like me who suffer from allergies. Anyone have any suggestions, tips? Taking Claritin but it doesn't seem to be working. Can't do allergy shots either being that they are given over the course of months before they are effective.

I am a huge believer in flushing the sinus' as needed during the course of the day. Unfortunately my barn has a large utility "alley" running between it and the railyard next door and it has every imaginable type of weed growing in it. When allergy season is in, and it's now thanks to the warm winter, I have a 1 ltr water bottle with a pop top that I put approx a teaspoon of salt in then fill with water. When ever the sneezing or irritation comes on I stop and run water through my sinus and then blow it out. It's immediate relief and I have cut way down on the meds taking.

On that subject having a CDL we have to be careful what is taken to prevent false results from showing up on any drug tests. If you're going to a Dr. Make sure they are aware of your CDL when they prescribe drugs as some are on the no-no list.

yeaalabama1212

I am a huge believer in flushing the sinus' as needed during the course of the day. Unfortunately my barn has a large utility "alley" running between it and the railyard next door and it has every imaginable type of weed growing in it. When allergy season is in, and it's now thanks to the warm winter, I have a 1 ltr water bottle with a pop top that I put approx a teaspoon of salt in then fill with water. When ever the sneezing or irritation comes on I stop and run water through my sinus and then blow it out. It's immediate relief and I have cut way down on the meds taking.

On that subject having a CDL we have to be careful what is taken to prevent false results from showing up on any drug tests. If you're going to a Dr. Make sure they are aware of your CDL when they prescribe drugs as some are on the no-no list.

Thanks for tip. I've never tried flushing my sinuses but I'm getting to the point where I will try almost anything. I swear I have sneezed at least 100 x's everyday for the past week.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Seriously, trust me on this one. Im not a mother nature freak but I literally had to go around with kleenex stuffed in my nostrils. OIL of Oregano. Go to the health food store, they will fix you right up. Do a search, you will see.

Believe me it's immediate if only temporary. Had to do it myself since that post. Softball game dust was burning my sinus and now its gone. The great thing is it's dirt cheap, a bit of salt and some tap water. Some may talk of distilled water,etc but I point out that tap water is what we bathe and swim in and it's ok when it gets in your sinus then. Why not anytime? The salt balances the PH and eliminates the "sting" that straight water causes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Seriously, trust me on this one. Im not a mother nature freak but I literally had to go around with kleenex stuffed in my nostrils. OIL of Oregano. Go to the health food store, they will fix you right up. Do a search, you will see.

Stupid question alert: What do you do with the oil of oregano?

Cementups

Box Monkey
For what reason did that require sarcasm? There are plenty of people who choose to work outside and suffer from allergies.

You're definitely new if you don't know that I am A) here for my sarcastic wit and 2) owner of the only NY Times best selling thread ever here. And BTW, welcome to BC. Enjoy the ride!