Allow me to blow on Amazons horn for a while

brostalss

IMG_1088.JPG

Amazon Express is coming.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
My daughter has a friend who works part time for Amazon. She takes her kids to school, gets her errands for the day done then gets on line with Amazon and tells them how many hours she has available before she has to pick up her kids again. I guess she then drives to an Amazon depot and they have 20 or 30 residential stops for her to deliver around her part of town. (Dallas area) She says she loves it and makes some spending money also. If she don't have any time available for that day she just don't get on line with them.
Gig economy.....

proyer

Yeah, amazon is great alright. I was expecting a package yesterday. Amazon website said it was delivered and handed to resident. Nope. I opened my front door, picked the package up and opened it. It had a box of garbage bags in it. I ordered a blood pressure monitor. I live at 4023. The package was for 4103, my next door neighbor. I walked back outside. The driver was parked in front of my neighbor's house. There was a guy on foot standing beside the truck talking to the driver. I told him that this package wasn't mine. He walked up to my neighbor's house and retrieved my package from her door and handed it to me. He put the opened package on my neighbor's door. He said something like "oh well, it's opened. Nothing I can do about that." I kinda gave him the what for about misdelivering people's stuff. He then started making excuses. "amazon's GPS gives us a choice of 4 houses to leave the package at." That may be fine, but then I'd think you would rely on the numbers available. My house has numbers on the mailbox, the curb and the house, all plainly visible. Then he starts in with this: "It's my day off. I shouldn't even be here. I'm a trainer and I'm training this driver." If this is an example of the quality of their training and delivery personnel, well, that's pretty pitiful.

Why did you open a package that wasn’t yours? The correct name and address are plainly visible on the shipping label. Just curious.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Wait till the owners start paying for maintenance. A few years back friend of mine purchased some big Sprinter vans for his HVAC business and bailed on them after a few years. He wasn't familiar with deisels and all the regen issues they can have. He was also saying maintenance was sky high because they are Mercedes.

The worst thing you can do to a regen diesel is let them idle too much. We have guys shift in tractors and the next guy will have it shut down on road for a full regen (45-60 minutes and done while parked). Some tractors are better than others and I have no idea how the Mercedes diesels do.

UPS is all about saving money, when was the last time you saw a new diesel package car?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Why did you open a package that wasn’t yours? The correct name and address are plainly visible on the shipping label. Just curious.
I was expecting a package. I got a package. No, I didn't look to check the address. I would expect a certain amount of competence of people to do their job.

clean hairy

Yeah, amazon is great alright. I was expecting a package yesterday. Amazon website said it was delivered and handed to resident. Nope. I opened my front door, picked the package up and opened it. It had a box of garbage bags in it. I ordered a blood pressure monitor. I live at 4023. The package was for 4103, my next door neighbor. I walked back outside. The driver was parked in front of my neighbor's house. There was a guy on foot standing beside the truck talking to the driver. I told him that this package wasn't mine. He walked up to my neighbor's house and retrieved my package from her door and handed it to me. He put the opened package on my neighbor's door. He said something like "oh well, it's opened. Nothing I can do about that." I kinda gave him the what for about misdelivering people's stuff. He then started making excuses. "amazon's GPS gives us a choice of 4 houses to leave the package at." That may be fine, but then I'd think you would rely on the numbers available. My house has numbers on the mailbox, the curb and the house, all plainly visible. Then he starts in with this: "It's my day off. I shouldn't even be here. I'm a trainer and I'm training this driver." If this is an example of the quality of their training and delivery personnel, well, that's pretty pitiful.
"Some say getting on the right street is a challenge"
"AND matching up the numbers on the box to the right house really baffles him!"
"All we know he is known as The Amazon Delivery Driver"

john chesney

Just want to say how great Amazon is. I ordered something yesterday evening, with my prime membership I got next day delivery. Tracking my package sent via UPS just found out they sent it NDA, I looked up the cost, would have been $69 just for shipping alone, but I got it for only 5 dollars.
While you’re blowing on horns I need a favor

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Just want to say how great Amazon is. I ordered something yesterday evening, with my prime membership I got next day delivery. Tracking my package sent via UPS just found out they sent it NDA, I looked up the cost, would have been $69 just for shipping alone, but I got it for only 5 dollars.
Amazon is dominating the ecommerce world while UPS is obessing over algorithms.

Amazon is going to replace UPS by 2025 as the shipping industry leader.

john chesney

Amazon is dominating the ecommerce world while UPS is obessing over algorithms.

Amazon is going to replace UPS by 2025 as the shipping industry leader.
With ups poor leadership and management I think we’re in trouble. Our sevice is horrible we can’t even get the air delivered on time and it’s the most important part of our operation. Our customer service is deplorable

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Just think of how technology has skyrocketed(literally) in the last 100-years.

UPS seems to think they can't be majorly reduced by competition. They've been rolling & growing for 111-years with a 10-year vision that's basically always worked.

I got a story for you. I will get the story somewhat wrong and the #'s wrong, without researching the story here goes. So going off memory.

It's the late 90's this Founder/CEO has this computer technology company and he sells it for $300-million. He's set for the rest of his life and he's enjoying his retirement. One day digging around his house he finds a VHS tape he rented from Block Buster... the movie Apollo 13. He had it something like 40 or 60-days after the due date. So he goes to Block Buster to return it. Block Buster back then was the video rental king and crushing mom & pop video rentals all across the nation. BBI stock was considered a darling of the industry. "Best of Breed"

Anyways, this former CEO returns the movie and he apologizes & all and tells them he owes late fees. Block Buster's policy back then was a late fee for every single day late. So he owed something like $60 or $80 for this video. Obviously he was upset and said he could buy it cheaper at a local store. In addition after paying the late fee. He didn't even get to keep the VHS. This p**sed him off of course and on the drive home... he starts thinking. He knows from his former company that soon VHS will be a dead horse and DVD's will replace them. He thought why couldn't someone just keep a rental as long as they wanted with no late charges. He thought perhaps one person would rent and keep and never be back but what if you made that customer a monthly or annual subscriber? They could hold onto it as long as possible. He could mail the DVD's and pay the postage back for his subscriber to return it. Block Buster was laughing their a sses off at his money losing idea.

As the years went by and the losses mounted, with the help of investors by being in the industry. His idea trudged on. After a few years of the exploding growth. Block Buster jumped in to shipping DVD's on a subscriber basis but they were too late and wasn't as focused and technically smart. In about 10-years this ONE GUY with one angry vision took the 600lb gorilla out! Block Buster filed bankruptcy and now they're just a skeleton of stores like Radio Shack and a shell of what they once were. Even kids today don't even know what a Block Buster store was.

Amazon is coming after UPS and everybody laughs at their little cute Sprinter vans and growing pains. Yet, if you dig down under all that laughter...you'll see the once gorillas in the room. Sears, K-Mart, Wal*Mart can't touch them online and Amazon achieved that dominance in only a few years.

So this was done by 1-guy. Think about that & the future of UPS.

Obtw, The CEO I'm talking about... R eed H astings.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
You should see some of the Amazon deliveries that I see on my route. Packages left at the wrong houses, packages out in the open. They are absolutely horrible
Amazon driver on my route left 5 packages at a residence front door.

They were for the office building down the street.

No joke. The lady that lived at the house asked me to grab them lol. Ahhhhhh no....

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Amazon driver on my route left 5 packages at a residence front door.

They were for the office building down the street.

No joke. The lady that lived at the house asked me to grab them lol. Ahhhhhh no....
No Amazon drivers in our area yet, but I’ve been seeing this from USPS quite a bit.