Already over 40 hours in 3 days

wornoutupser

The Central Florida peak continues. There are not enough drivers here to handle all the problems.
I am already over 40 hours in 3 days- how is the rest of the country doing?

8Years2Go

Punched out at 20:05 tonight. Our center manager said that peak would be today, 12-13 and tomorrow. Where in the heck is he getting his information? I don't see it peaking until next Wednesday, but then again, I'm just a peon!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The Central Florida peak continues. There are not enough drivers here to handle all the problems.

I thought a driver could only work 12 hours a day per the DOT. Thats how it is out west. Why do I always hear about you drivers working 15 hours a day? Secondly, why the hell are you doing it and not demanding help???

DS

Fenderbender
Apparently in some states its 14 hours with 2 -30 min breaks with a 60 hour cap per week.Its 12 hours here in Canada,
I`m only at 32 hours so far this week.(Wed)

The DOT rule is 14 hrs from punch to punch,12 plus a lunch,unless it`s do to unexpected bad weather. You need a mandatory 10 hrs off no mater what.

wornoutupser

Florida says that we work 14 hour days. There are not enough drivers here. It is the same every year in my building.

We all know the song and dance- too many people called in today, more packages came in than were forcast, etc etc.

I also do not see peak until at least next Thursday. In my area, it is almost always two days before Christmas Eve. Even then the down side of peak is not significant enough to be a welcomed drop in the volume.

I also read the DOT regs as stating 12 hours, but UPS here says that since we get in and out of the vehicle and our time is not continuous behind the wheel, we are exempt from the 12 hour rule. I wish that it wa written in stone! I am tired!

helenofcalifornia

Damn creative of UPS to figure out that getting in and out of the truck doesn't count as "driving" hours. I would really like to see if Atlanta approves of that. And peak here in CA is supposed to be on Monday, the 18th. I hope if you are continuing to work those ungodly hours that at least you have a helper.

DS

Fenderbender
Florida says that we work 14 hour days. There are not enough drivers here. I also read the DOT regs as stating 12 hours, but UPS here says that since we get in and out of the vehicle and our time is not continuous behind the wheel, we are exempt from the 12 hour rule. I wish that it wa written in stone! I am tired!
Thats absurd,IMHO 14 hours of service providing is far too much.
continuous my ass .Some ******* district manager is probobly going to get promoted for making you believe you HAD to work 14 hours.
When it goes to court I`d put my money on the judge.
Because like I`ve seen before ups ends up paying .

DS

Fenderbender
I thought a driver could only work 12 hours a day per the DOT. Thats how it is out west. Why do I always hear about you drivers working 15 hours a day? Secondly, why the hell are you doing it and not demanding help???
I asked for help today and I got it...:surrender 830 start punched out 745 code 05 15 min break.

A

Anon

I'm also in south Florida and we all had to sign forms stating it was our responsability to keep track of our hours and to not go over 60 in a 7 day period.

W

wakyzachyUPS

Well at least u guys have work. Here in South Jersey we still have 80% of our drivers getting in at 5pm. There is no peak here. The airport is also slow, one flight to france from PHL is like it always is. We are all wondering if we are goin to have a peak or not.

LKLND3380

Are they using ALL available cover drivers/Saturday air drivers? Here in Lakeland there are at least three preloaders I know who could be driving... Maybe more...

6 yrs. to go!

Phila. District
:) Here in Metro Phila. West Chester Division they have finally hired enough pre load and drivers. no one has had over 10.5 hrs. a day yet actually best peak I've experienced in 20 yrs. Feel like I have earned it. (LOL)

DS

Fenderbender
CFL brown,a code 05 is pay actual.In other words,they pay you for it if you skip your break,or part of it instead of automatically deducting it.

porkwagon

:) Here in Metro Phila. West Chester Division they have finally hired enough pre load and drivers. no one has had over 10.5 hrs. a day yet actually best peak I've experienced in 20 yrs. Feel like I have earned it. (LOL)

I'm in West Chester also and I had a little over 10.5 on Monday. But I agree this peak is a drastic improvement. Especially over last year. Last year was the worst for me. A disaster!! This peak has been the best for me and it's my 20th peak. (Thanks Joe!)

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
CFL brown,a code 05 is pay actual.In other words,they pay you for it if you skip your break,or part of it instead of automatically deducting it.

Not true, unless someone changes your Y to an N on the standard break section of your time card in PTE, you are getting 40 mins deducted whether you like it or not.

Code 5 is actual time worked, its really for when people work less than 8 hours.

Code 6 is your standard full service provider pay code. Its guaranteed 8 hours plus what ever else you worked over that.

If you work under 8 hours and get a code 6 you get paid for 8 hours, if you get code 5'd you get paid for the actual time punch to punch minus 40 mins for break.

The only way break gets "paid" for is when that standard lunch Y gets changed to an N and then it looks at the break time section and deducts what is shown there.

Do you know that the driver is fined and not UPS for violating DOT Regulations when it comes to how many hours a day and total hours for the week that you drive. You should keep that in mind