Am I screwed

BrownBrokeDown

Never lie at UPS, if they give you the ticket form and you do not put it down, that is a lie by omission. Lying is a cardinal sin and can get you immediately terminated. That being said, don't volunteer information either unless they are asking (eg the form).

Ha! It seems you have done your research! Yes, I was a full time attorney for 5 years then lost my job. I became a seasonal driver in 2012 but after peak was over they weren't hiring at that time. I came back and drove for the summer of 2013. They still weren't hiring but they liked me and I desperately needed health insurance so I took a job as an OMS. I was briefly in contention for a job on the Orion team hence the question about that. Finally, in September of 2014 I was able to leave management (thank God) and rejoin the union as a driver. I completed my 30 days just over a year ago and other than a 5 month layoff have been driving ever since. I keep my license active and am still officially a lawyer, but these days I consider my legal practice more of a hobby. I am not a troll!!

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
But a recovering attorney.
uXQmGWY.gif

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I just got a speeding ticket going 5 over (haven't gotten one in about 4 years ) but I still have 10 days left in my packet .... Im in Utah

A ticket may disqualify you from bidding on a new driver intent sheet, but once you have started your training, a ticket has no bearing.

Keep in mind though, that UPS has been known to disqualify probationary drivers before they qualified for undisclosed reasons.

If it was a DUI or reckless op, you may have a concern, but a 5 mph speeding ticket should have no bearing if you can pass your 30 days.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
you should be not screwed as they have already pulled your driving record before you started driving. Fight the ticket because any lawyer who has a pulse can get the ticket tossed for a 5 mph over ticket just arguing radar calibration

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
The easiest thing to do is talk to the cop at court that day. 99.9%of them will reduce it or give you an aeau. Where if you are ticket free for 6 months. The ticket is dropped. Which means slow down. For 5 mph over.? Sounds like Quota ticket. Although they say they don't have quota. Say nothing unless you are required to fill out a dmv form. Which comes around in January

moldsporh

If I'm not mistaken...don't tell UPS ANYTHING...until after the court date. You may be able to plead your case and tell the judge you drifted over but didn't think you went over that much. Only thing against you is your driving record.....if you have multiple speeding convictions then you may need to fess up cuz you may not win the case.

But....if I were you, I would absolutely go to court.....if you want to keep your job. If it gets reduced to a small fine or a non-point violation you may be ok.

I don't think you have to disclose a ticket unless you're convicted of it. ....because like the others said.....you're still innocent.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
5 mph over in UT. The city/county needs funds that bad.

You can bet that the cop was doing the OP a favor. I'm willing to bet the OP was well over the limit.

I recall being in the audience in municipal court once when a judge semi-acknowledged the same. His remark was something like "there's awful lot of people breaking the speed limit by only 1 to 5 mph".

Cops do not write tickets to people going 5 MPH over the limit. Cops write tickets tickets to those who are in double digits over the speed limit and are drawing attention to themselves by weaving in and out of lanes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can bet that the cop was doing the OP a favor. I'm willing to bet the OP was well over the limit.

I recall being in the audience in municipal court once when a judge semi-acknowledged the same. His remark was something like "there's awful lot of people breaking the speed limit by only 1 to 5 mph".

Cops do not write tickets to people going 5 MPH over the limit. Cops write tickets tickets to those who are in double digits over the speed limit and are drawing attention to themselves by weaving in and out of lanes.

This is a very good point that hadn't been mentioned yet and that I hadn't thought of. Cops know full well the fine structure and will do what they can to limit the fine while sending a message to the offender.

Indecisi0n

The easiest thing to do is talk to the cop at court that day. 99.9%of them will reduce it or give you an aeau. Where if you are ticket free for 6 months. The ticket is dropped. Which means slow down. For 5 mph over.? Sounds like Quota ticket. Although they say they don't have quota. Say nothing unless you are required to fill out a dmv form. Which comes around in January
I know cops. They don't have a set quota but the more you write the better you look.

Saltybrownie

Yea my fault I should have explained a little more the ticket is for 42 in a 30 but got it for 5 over its a weird street where ur exiting the freeway the speed limit goes from 45 to 30 out of no where... It is how ever my first offense in the past 4 years

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
"loose lips sink ships" ----an old WWII saying but its still true at UPS. Keep your mouth shut and eventually (probably a year or so) they will come around with a form where you should report it--------but that will be up to you at that time. I wouldn't---but then again that's me. If I would have reported my "history" to UPS I never would have been hired. Above all take any advise you get off an internet forum lightly. Especially from self confessed know-it-alls.
But....it's the internet....it must be true!