Am I screwed

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
Does Utah have a go to traffic school and get the ticket dismissed option? Arizona does, but you can only do it once every three years or something like that. I would seriously look into it. I once got caught going 75 in what used to be a 55 MPH zone on US 89 between Flagstaff and the Navajo Res boundary in the early 90's. I went to traffic school, sent the proof to the Flagstaff City court by mail. Problem solved.

GillEagan

Speed kills!!!!!
In the city yes. What this guy was doing not likely as it was only 5 over the limit. What I was doing, yes if it was in the city. Except I was out in the middle of nowhere late at night. With the exception of the officer who pulled me over, I was the only vehicle on that highway. US 89 north of Flagstaff even today doesn't get much traffic at night.

GillEagan

Does Utah have a go to traffic school and get the ticket dismissed option? Arizona does, but you can only do it once every three years or something like that. I would seriously look into it. I once got caught going 75 in what used to be a 55 MPH zone on US 89 between Flagstaff and the Navajo Res boundary in the early 90's. I went to traffic school, sent the proof to the Flagstaff City court by mail. Problem solved.

It looks like Utah does, but it is on a jurisdiction by jurisdiction basis.

http://www.dmv.org/ut-utah/traffic-schools.php

I noticed that South Jordan says that if you were caught in a school zone, you can't use this option. I would say that as long as you weren't in a school zone and the jurisdiction allows for this, then you should be able to do this.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Ha! It seems you have done your research! Yes, I was a full time attorney for 5 years then lost my job. I became a seasonal driver in 2012 but after peak was over they weren't hiring at that time. I came back and drove for the summer of 2013. They still weren't hiring but they liked me and I desperately needed health insurance so I took a job as an OMS. I was briefly in contention for a job on the Orion team hence the question about that. Finally, in September of 2014 I was able to leave management (thank God) and rejoin the union as a driver. I completed my 30 days just over a year ago and other than a 5 month layoff have been driving ever since. I keep my license active and am still officially a lawyer, but these days I consider my legal practice more of a hobby. I am not a troll!!

You must of been a really bad attorney to not be able to find work in your field after being let go after 5 years.

Why would you put all that effort into becoming a lawyer and then not pursue it? You would make way more than a ups driver unless you were a really bad attorney.

That doesn't make too much sense. I'm pretty sure even mediocre attorneys make more than us.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The average lawyer actually doesn't make a whole lot of money. They make good money, don't get me wrong. But not many of them are driving around in Bentleys.

You're right.

My son does IT work for a local lawyer. She has to make do with a brand-new Escalade every year.

QualityLoads

I got a ticket less than 24 hours after they checked my driving record to go to driving school. I was :censored2:ting bricks that whole week before driving school. It never came up until we did our yearly driving record report and I was well past my 30 days. Sup just looked at me and shook his head, that was the last I heard about that. You'll be fine.

Wow, suddenly I'm a bad attorney? I'll take that with a grain of salt since it comes from someone who is obviously very ignorant about legal practice and especially modern day attorneys' wages.

The rest of you are correct. While there certainly are attorneys out there who make astronomical amounts of money, the overwhelming majority of lawyers (particularly younger ones such as myself) make very modest salaries. Despite this, there is a common misconception that all attorneys make serious bank. The salaries have declined significantly over the past decade due to the economy and the fact that there are simply too many lawyers in the field. Too much supply, not enough demand.

I found after 5 years that I hated my job and had hated it for a long time. People often ask how I could throw it all away after so much school, etc. I get that. It's a fair question. But my response is always that I would rather throw away a few years of law school then my entire career. It turns out I didn't much care for sitting in an office and representing banks. Why continue to do something I hate?

I actually love driving the brown truck. It keeps me in much better physical shape. I did take a pay cut but once I am at full scale I will be making significantly more than I did as a lawyer. Also, my health insurance premiums back then were $1200 a month for my family!! I don't miss that expense one bit. The value of teamcare more than compensates for those student loans that I'll unfortunately be paying back until the end of time...

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
im an attorney also that got OJ off for going too slow in that Bronko.

i'll PM my address and if you send me 500 dollars, i will guarantee you that that ticket goes away and you keep your job.

rod

Retired 22 years
im an attorney also that got OJ off for going too slow in that Bronko.

i'll PM my address and if you send me 500 dollars, i will guarantee you that that ticket goes away and you keep your job.

if the glove don't fit..........................

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Wow, suddenly I'm a bad attorney? I'll take that with a grain of salt since it comes from someone who is obviously very ignorant about legal practice and especially modern day attorneys' wages.

The rest of you are correct. While there certainly are attorneys out there who make astronomical amounts of money, the overwhelming majority of lawyers (particularly younger ones such as myself) make very modest salaries. Despite this, there is a common misconception that all attorneys make serious bank. The salaries have declined significantly over the past decade due to the economy and the fact that there are simply too many lawyers in the field. Too much supply, not enough demand.

I found after 5 years that I hated my job and had hated it for a long time. People often ask how I could throw it all away after so much school, etc. I get that. It's a fair question. But my response is always that I would rather throw away a few years of law school then my entire career. It turns out I didn't much care for sitting in an office and representing banks. Why continue to do something I hate?

I actually love driving the brown truck. It keeps me in much better physical shape. I did take a pay cut but once I am at full scale I will be making significantly more than I did as a lawyer. Also, my health insurance premiums back then were $1200 a month for my family!! I don't miss that expense one bit. The value of teamcare more than compensates for those student loans that I'll unfortunately be paying back until the end of time...
OK> You are hired as the official brown cafe legal representative for almost worthless legal advice.

oldngray

nowhere special
6355917652830006091237996206_better-call-saul.jpg

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I don't know about that. Have a friend who is a prosecutor for the state, and he only makes about $70,000 a year in a salaried position. He's fairly good at what he does, too.
The average lawyer actually doesn't make a whole lot of money. They make good money, don't get me wrong. But not many of them are driving around in Bentleys.

I would think being an attorney, with the amount of costs going to law school and taking the board, would still be a better gig with more flexibility then being a ups driver. Every attorney I know seems to do way better in that regard.

And if you weren't happy in that field of law, why not try another speciality of law? It just seems to me, like a waste of education and money. You made it sound from your post that you were let go as an attorney which one would assume you must not of been that great. My apologies. I didn't know you left on your own accord to pursue being a ups driver.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I would think being an attorney, with the amount of costs going to law school and taking the board, would still be a better gig with more flexibility then being a ups driver. Every attorney I know seems to do way better in that regard.

And if you weren't happy in that field of law, why not try another speciality of law? It just seems to me, like a waste of education and money. You made it sound from your post that you were let go as an attorney which one would assume you must not of been that great. My apologies. I didn't know you left on your own accord to pursue being a ups driver.

I don't know about flexibility either. Texted my friend the other night at about 21:00 asking him if he was watching our hockey team's game and he says "no, going to trial. Been in the office since 07:00, going for the 15-hour day today."