Amazon and new contract

Tightupser

Amazon and the usps contract is set to end in October can only make you wonder if there is a plan behind it, since the new 22.4 position and the contract language that 7 days a week could become a possibility

Wife and I have a free prime trial and ordered something around midnight and it was here this morning around 0900. I don't know who delivered it. Sometimes USPS does but that's around 6pm on Sunday. There's a new amazon facility a short bike ride away from us in a big city so I'm guessing someone biked it or maybe even used their contractors in amazonmobiles.

Whoever it was, they're making more money than UPS having delivered nothing on Sunday. Let alone next day couple hours later. And I got that service free? Wow.

I don't think UPS saw this one coming. Now UPS doesn't just want the biggest slice of the pie. They want the whole :censored2:in thing. I think the problem with this contract is so many incredible things happened in the shipping industry and ecommerce, in such a relatively short period of time, that has now left UPS in a pickle.

We just lost substantial amazon, enough so that we no longer have a staffing problem (drivers working belts), and the number of employees has changed very little.

Here, both the amazon facility and FedEx give BCBS benefits at 30/90 days, sign on of $15/hr, up to $17.50 in 90 days DoE and yearly raises, paid weekly, no wait for paid major holidays, a week vaca at 1 year and 2 at two years and increasing. Some FedEx drivers are at $20 within just a few years right off the road, if they can cut it.

These places did it right. They found the properly skilled workers and paid them well to keep them and now it's impossible to get work at either, but we could always use a few bodies.

We will need a lot more if UPS becomes the McDonald's of the shipping industry. Working at UPS becomes the "if I get fired I can always work there but for less".

TheDick

Went to last NM contract reading and my leadership told me it's the best agreement as far as the time in history we're at. I don't like the 22.4's not having same rights as RPCD'and PT's getting screwed as usual (every contract ) and the encouragement of existing PTers togo 22.4 cuz PT is not a career choice. I'm nowhere near retirement , so I see the 22.4's voting to strike at the end this new contract after they eat shart and get there faces rubbed in the shart this next 5 years. So i'm torn on a no vote if a recession is around the corner for Mr MAGA and his dumb ideas.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Amazon and the usps contract is set to end in October can only make you wonder if there is a plan behind it, since the new 22.4 position and the contract language that 7 days a week could become a possibility
If the rest of the post offices are as terrible as my local post office. I can't believe Amazon will keep pumping them volume.

A town of 1000 people about half the people only get mail 3 days a week because they're too heavy.

TheDick

Do ur mail peeps have to double trip their loads, del pkgs first then doing the route again (reg letter mail) cuz the bulk pkgs cube their little golf carts out?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Went to last NM contract reading and my leadership told me it's the best agreement as far as the time in history we're at. I don't like the 22.4's not having same rights as RPCD'and PT's getting screwed as usual (every contract ) and the encouragement of existing PTers togo 22.4 cuz PT is not a career choice. I'm nowhere near retirement , so I see the 22.4's voting to strike at the end this new contract after they eat shart and get there faces rubbed in the shart this next 5 years. So i'm torn on a no vote if a recession is around the corner for Mr MAGA and his dumb ideas.
Contracts are negotiated under the current economic climate. Not what might happen in a few years.

The current economy is BOOMING and fully employed. With more jobs open than people looking for work. If this is the best the IBT could do under the circumstances they should quit.

If they are really worried about a recession (they aren't) they could have done a 3 year contract.