New cover driver language in practice - How's your center implementing?

JL 0513

So today we began adhering to the new language regarding seniority based preference on route scheduling. You have 5 minutes before start time to bump a lower seniority cover driver off a route you prefer to do.

Fortunately going forward will eliminate most of the day to day hassle of going to supervisors and requesting your preferred route. We already have a sign up sheet for next week's available routes. So most bids should be sorted for Mon/Tue scheduling except for unforseen call-outs. For this week, we are choosing our routes 5 minutes before.

Loving this new benefit already! As a high seniority cover driver, this is the greatest change in the new contract for me. Until now, we'd have new guys getting one of the best routes, and a 10 year driver getting stuck with a crappy route because they know it better.

👍

Commercial Inside Release

They'll let you show your cards, as you choose your favored routes, then later turn them into training routes... Effectively giving them back to the new guys.

You'll be back on that industrial route with late airs, 300pcs, and 3 hours of pickups in no time.

JL 0513

They'll let you show your cards, as you choose your favored routes, then later turn them into training routes... Effectively giving them back to the new guys.

You'll be back on that industrial route with late airs, 300pcs, and 3 hours of pickups in no time.
I've been covering for over 10 years and have mostly already been on the better routes. In my region, "cover driver" is RPCD without a bid route. Some of us just prefer the variety and stay cover forever. We're about a 50 route building and if we don't normally have training routes set aside.

You're saying that management won't have to adhere to this language for long. They'll have to or deal with grievances just like anything else.

Cheesypurpletees

I've been covering for over 10 years and have mostly already been on the better routes. In my region, "cover driver" is RPCD without a bid route. Some of us just prefer the variety and stay cover forever. We're about a 50 route building and if we don't normally have training routes set aside.

You're saying that management won't have to adhere to this language for long. They'll have to or deal with grievances just like anything else.
Same here, I plan on staying a cover driver. The monotony of doing the same bid route over and over gets old

DOK

How are you covering for 10 years, if you don’t take a route doesn’t the lower guy who takes a route jump you in seniority? They do in our building.

JL 0513

How are you covering for 10 years, if you don’t take a route doesn’t the lower guy who takes a route jump you in seniority? They do in our building.
Nope, each 2 years you can bid "cover" and your seniority stands as with any other bid driver. We have many cover positions to cover all the vacations, injuries, and sick days nevermind numerous split routes.

Last edited:

Red Devil

The Power of Connected

Nope they are just RPCDs with no route. If they want a route down the line they can bid one.

pkgdriver

Same way as my building was. You take a route or bid unassigned every two or three years. No seniority change. The unassigned drivers now have a bid sheet to bid on routes for next week.

pkgdriver

Same here, I plan on staying a cover driver. The monotony of doing the same bid route over and over gets old
I didnt mind the same route everyday. Covered for almost three years. They wouldnt put the new cover drivers on certain routes. So I taught them and bid on a route. Almost 14 years on that one. Bid off that to a low step/power steering route for over 11 years. That route left for a new building so I bid on my last route.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I didnt mind the same route everyday. Covered for almost three years. They wouldnt put the new cover drivers on certain routes. So I taught them and bid on a route. Almost 14 years on that one. Bid off that to a low step/power steering route for over 11 years. That route left for a new building so I bid on my last route.
I hated cover. I had to do it for 7 years before I could bid a decent route and stay in my center. Never covered again.

JL 0513

I hated cover. I had to do it for 7 years before I could bid a decent route and stay in my center. Never covered again.
Part of why I've stayed cover aside from wanting variety, is I primarily cover the better routes vs bidding a crappy route.

Post cradle really changed the whole dynamic of covering. Outside of more complicated commercial stops where navigation doesn't tell which door and such to use, the stop by stop nav takes all the stress you used to have running blind with a paper map. I'd never cover by choice pre-navigation (at least by phone).

pkgdriver

Part of why I've stayed cover aside from wanting variety, is I primarily cover the better routes vs bidding a crappy route.

Post cradle really changed the whole dynamic of covering. Outside of more complicated commercial stops where navigation doesn't tell which door and such to use, the stop by stop nav takes all the stress you used to have running blind with a paper map. I'd never cover by choice pre-navigation (at least by phone).
My center has two 30 year cover drivers. They bid in the past but cover now and get their pick of gravy routes(most of the time).
Yep as much as the DIAD 6 sucks it really helps when covering.