Amazon "Consequences"

MAKAVELI

No one knows. I DO know that at my large station, a few weeks ago when it snowed real bad that a bunch of couriers refused to go on the road and the Senior Manager quickly backed down and sent us all home.
Refusing to go on road for safety reasons and a wildcat strike are two completely different actions. Without union representation we would have no chance of having a job after such an action.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Refusing to go on road for safety reasons and a wildcat strike are two completely different actions. Without union representation we would have no chance of having a job after such an action.

I'm not so sure of that, at my station. We are already always short handed because they can't keep people. 250 people at even the largest station is pretty much the whole station.

MAKAVELI

I'm not so sure of that, at my station. We are already always short handed because they can't keep people. 250 people at even the largest station is pretty much the whole station.
Then you must not know how anti union Fred S is. I have no doubt he would have no problem firing a whole station to make a point.

bbsam

Staff member
No one knows. I DO know that at my large station, a few weeks ago when it snowed real bad that a bunch of couriers refused to go on the road and the Senior Manager quickly backed down and sent us all home.

If I had to venture a guess, I would think that Memphis would load up the corporate jet and send top management to find out what's going on. Bring in managers from other areas. Maybe do a lot of butt kissing to get people back. No way could they hire people fast enough to save the day.
Or maybe, if disgust with Express is as some say it is, maybe 250 in New York or D.C. inspires other stations across the country. Memphis can't log corporate jet hours to hit every station.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Then you must not know how anti union Fred S is. I have no doubt he would have no problem firing a whole station to make a point.

Oh, trust me, I know how anti-union he is. I've been hearing all the anti-union drivel for 20+ years. We've had the IBT standing outside our station on multiple occasions. But we all know how much he hates bad publicity too. Plus, he is just the majority shareholder. I'm sure he doesn't call ALL the shots anymore.

So as I said before, no one knows what would happen if 250 walked out.

MAKAVELI

Or maybe, if disgust with Express is as some say it is, maybe 250 in New York or D.C. inspires other stations across the country. Memphis can't log corporate jet hours to hit every station.
I would think before an action like that, there would be a real organizing campaign to unionize.

bbsam

Staff member
if discontent at Express is what some here say, the sheeple are a given, a dry underbrush of forest waiting for a careless match or errant spark.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
if discontent at Express is what some here say, the sheeple are a given, a dry underbrush of forest waiting for a careless match or errant spark.

Ahh, if only I could be so daring! As much as I dislike the company FedEx has become, I dislike even more the idea of my child being homeless. I can, and will, take whatever they throw at me to make sure that never happens. When she is out of the house, on the other hand, I might be first in line walking out. Lol.

bbsam

Staff member
Ahh, if only I could be so daring! As much as I dislike the company FedEx has become, I dislike even more the idea of my child being homeless. I can, and will, take whatever they throw at me to make sure that never happens. When she is out of the house, on the other hand, I might be first in line walking out. Lol.
And that is exactly why Memphis has nothing to fear. You are one of thousands that they will keep biting their tongues and showing up to work the next day.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Figure of speech. Nicer than "bow to their masters will".

Hate to break it to you Sam, but ANYBODY who has a job "bows to a master's" will. Some just more compliantly than others. I'm one of the less compliant. And as far as they know, less competent. Incompetence is a wonderful thing. Much less stressful. Lol.

bbsam

Staff member
Hate to break it to you Sam, but ANYBODY who has a job "bows to a master's" will. Some just more compliantly than others. I'm one of the less compliant. And as far as they know, less competent. Incompetence is a wonderful thing. Much less stressful. Lol.
Couldn't agree with you more. A lot of folks think the company cares that they don't like their jobs or won't go out of the way to service the customer. Nothing could be further from the truth. They determined long ago that a happy workforce was a luxury more expensive than they cared to buy.

And yes, we all bow to those above us. If you're not in the 1%, you are a servant of the one percent. I could cause all kinds of problems for those above me and it might ripple at the district level and cause a water cooler conversation between two lackies in Pittsburgh, but that's about it. It wouldn't change the company and Fred S would never hear about it. It's exactly the way they want it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Couldn't agree with you more. A lot of folks think the company cares that they don't like their jobs or won't go out of the way to service the customer. Nothing could be further from the truth. They determined long ago that a happy workforce was a luxury more expensive than they cared to buy.

And yes, we all bow to those above us. If you're not in the 1%, you are a servant of the one percent. I could cause all kinds of problems for those above me and it might ripple at the district level and cause a water cooler conversation between two lackies in Pittsburgh, but that's about it. It wouldn't change the company and Fred S would never hear about it. It's exactly the way they want it.

No Teamsters=No union at Express. That should be evident by now. A grassroots movement has little chance against the RLA as it stands. And Smith consistently is able to keep the RLA unchanged through his political activities and connections.

If an entire Express station were to walk-out, it would certainly get their attention, but the end result would be a massive firing. Now, if 50 stations were to walk-out, you've got something tangible.

Sammy likes to poke fun at me because he thinks we need a charismatic leader who will lead us on to the Promised Land. As nice as that sounds, it simply isn't doable without a national, organized effort, and that means the Teamsters.

And as long as Jim cashes Fred's checks, that isn't going to happen.