Amazon Prime cargo plane crashes

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Has CNN wrapped up this case and blamed President Trump yet? It's been 12 hours.

Not yet anyways.

tRump issued an official proclamation....."it was Obama's fault, I'm the greatest president ever!" Its true, it was on twitter!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Could be a case of cost cutting at work.

Atlas Air Flight 3591 - Wikipedia

“The Boeing 767-375(ER) (msn 25865/430) was originally ordered by Canadian Airlines International in 1992, but not taken up by Canadian and instead delivered to Guinness Peat Aviation as a white-tail aircraft in July 1992, who then leased the aircraft to China Southern Airlines. After being sold to GE Capital Aviation Services, the aircraft was then leased to LAN Airlines, which operated the aircraft for 17 years within various divisions of LAN, before being returned to the lessor, by this time CIT Aerospace. CIT then leased the aircraft to Atlas Air, who then had the airframe converted to a freighter for use with Amazon Air at Paya Lebar Air Base, subsequently taking full ownership of the aircraft from the lessor upon completion of the conversion.[6] According to FAA records, the airframe had accumulated more than 90,000 hours over 23,000 flights prior to its hull loss.[7] The Boeing 767 aircraft was nearly 27 years old at the time of the accident.[8]

The USAF has B-52's and KC-135's flying that are 55 years old (or even older). There are a lot of freighters out there with many more hours and cycles than this one particular 767. Atlas is a very professional airline. Basically, an aircraft can go on forever with proper maintenance. I can guarantee this particular aircraft had many engine replacements and heavy maintenance checks where it was dismantled and put back together again after everything being checked out and rebuilt and/or replaced. FAA regulations are very strict and require checks and replacement at very specific intervals. For example, a TBO on an engine might be 2500 hours. If it isn't off the plane by then and rebuilt and/or replaced, you're grounded.

This plane was a baby compared to some of the stuff FedEx flies. In the 727 days, most of them were retired PAX planes converted to freighters after many, many years flying for multiple airlines. Same with UPS.

Very odd for an aircraft to just dive into the water after completing 95% of it's flight. They'll know soon why.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The 767 is a workhorse and UPS has many of them in service. There have been very few failures in 30 years. I'm like most people, I just would like to know how this happened.

UPS was the launch customer for the B767F in 1986. One of the safest aircraft to ever fly.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Kind of a weird that they can't find the "black box" or the pilot.

They found the pilot, but not the boxes. They will. The short video of it going down isn't clear. What is clear is that everything was completely normal until the aircraft went into an extreme descent. They were dropping altitude for the landing, and then things went very wrong.

Very sad all around.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They blew through the glide slope and?

There's a YouTube video of a current 777FO (and former 767 pilot) tracking the exact flight path of the jet, ATC communications...everything. Completely normal, and then the plane enters a 7,000FPM descent from a normal descent.

Only 2 have ever crashed, and there has never been a structural failure of the aircraft. I'm not counting the 2 that were lost on 9-11.