Amazon Prime, now with free, same-day deliveries

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I was just toying with the idea they would have done that with express, by now. I know we have that name in our other services as well. Just seeing it I think of Fedx.
I think they like the idea of express and critical in the name as it makes it sounds flashy and catchy. FedEx's is called SameDay.

At my old job we used that SameDay once. It was insane. They needed an envelope to go from New York to Atlanta like immediately. Someone screwed up something and it needed to get done that day. They picked it up at 1030 AM and it was in Atlanta by 3. Beyond impressive. I don't know how much it is. But the department head was mumbling the entire time they were processing it.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

It is amazing but they have a very low profit margin with not much overhead, now they are trying this same system of charging pretty much nothing for a package and trying to have a full fledged operations unit. Something has to give
That's for sure. But at the moment shareholders are still content with growth and the profits. They're all about volume not margins.

ManInBrown

Amazon does not turn a profit. Never have. Probably never will. They are a break even company whose sole goal is to have their hands in everything.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
They have been doing this in my area since peak already. They have other smaller services out with delivery vans FULL of amazon packages. These drivers are from a few different delivery services and from what I've seen their methods are quite flawed, packages mis delivered, sitting on people's lawns, and just lazily delivered. However I see these vans day after day delivering same day amazon product. A little scary if they get their act together...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They have been doing this in my area since peak already. They have other smaller services out with delivery vans FULL of amazon packages. These drivers are from a few different delivery services and from what I've seen their methods are quite flawed, packages mis delivered, sitting on people's lawns, and just lazily delivered. However I see these vans day after day delivering same day amazon product. A little scary if they get their act together...
Not really. It's a niche market.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
giphy.gif

Not beating a dead horse. Orion can tell them how to ship for quick service.

dezguy

I think they like the idea of express and critical in the name as it makes it sounds flashy and catchy. FedEx's is called SameDay.

At my old job we used that SameDay once. It was insane. They needed an envelope to go from New York to Atlanta like immediately. Someone screwed up something and it needed to get done that day. They picked it up at 1030 AM and it was in Atlanta by 3. Beyond impressive. I don't know how much it is. But the department head was mumbling the entire time they were processing it.
SameDay is actually a new service that started up within the last two years and is only available in certain cities. It is serviced by FedEx office, not Express. The Express version is Next flight which has been around for ages but rarely used because it costs a small fortune. In all my time, I have seen it used once, in all the stations I've worked at.