Amazon starts Sunday delivery with US Postal Service

purplesky

Yes. In a word, investors. Their stock prices would plummet.

Really? So if UPS explored a new online retail option to compete with Walmart and Best Buy and Costco and Kohl's and Amazon and lets say Macys,etc. you think Wall street would view it as a negative?

I think Wallstreet would be very interested in UPS expanding their business model and look at the profit potential.

I would say starting an airline and building air hubs to take on FDX Express was a much bigger undertaking for UPS than starting a online retail service would be.

UPS wasnt public yet when they built an airline but it seems to have worked out pretty well so far. Wall street likes UPS.

I have already said that this would just be a future option for UPS if Amazon and Walmart,etc ever really do get to the point of being able to completely deliver their own stuff. But thats far off.

UPS(Largest shipping company in the world) is a leading warehouse logistics company with a airline,complete feeder network,UPS freight,cargo,parcel,etc. and they have CASH. They already have UPS stores everywhere for returns and pickups.

The thing is UPS could start small and test this idea. Maybe partner with other sellers.

I think this idea would create some buzz on Wallstreet and probably rattle Amazon and Walmart.

purplesky

Yes, because they haven't. UPS didn't build Amazon, they only provide a service.

Dude do you think amazon would be what it is today without UPS in its equation? Do you realize how much stuff UPS moves for Amazon(especially now for peak)? I don't think you do.

Look it comes down to this. Amazon has been able to GROW FAST and offer incredible customer service as a online seller because they offer incredible delivery service. UPS logistics helped make that happen.

Other shippers are important to Amazons success also. But up to this point in time in Amazons history UPS HAS BEEN A ESSENTIAL PART OF THEIR SUCESS. Thats a fact.

MAKAVELI

Dude do you think amazon would be what it is today without UPS in its equation? Do you realize how much stuff UPS moves for Amazon(especially now for peak)? I don't think you do.

Look it comes down to this. Amazon has been able to GROW FAST and offer incredible customer service as a online seller because they offer incredible delivery service. UPS logistics helped make that happen.

Other shippers are important to Amazons success also. But up to this point in time in Amazons history UPS HAS BEEN A ESSENTIAL PART OF THEIR SUCESS. Thats a fact.

Last time I checked Amazon uses everybody. I think you should reverse your question. Where would UPS be without Amazon? Where would any of the carriers be without Amazon?

bbsam

Staff member

Well, dude, my reply had nothing to do with how much volume UPS moves for Amazon (at a highly discounted rate). The fact is that when investors buy UPS stock, they are buying a transportation company. It's what UPS does. Now what makes you think investors will want to put their money behind Brown as soon as they decide to enter the retail market competing with Walmart, Amazon, Target, and all the others? I realize you are mighty impressed with UPS, but part of their success is staying focused.

TUT

The thing is UPS could start small and test this idea. Maybe partner with other sellers.

I think this idea would create some buzz on Wallstreet and probably rattle Amazon and Walmart.

There is a reason why carriers don't do these things. If they did, they would lose a lot of business immediately from whatever sector they would be getting into and that would spread to other sectors (What if UPS did that to us?). If they were to start down that path, obviously other retailers wouldn't be happy, they then move as much business elsewhere and then when UPS fails, they would come back to even a smaller market for them.

TUT

Last time I checked Amazon uses everybody. I think you should reverse your question. Where would UPS be without Amazon? Where would any of the carriers be without Amazon?

Well it does become a two way street to some extent. Where would Amazon be if no one would deliver their products? I'm still a bit concerned for the carriers that Amazon is pulling off a master stroke here and in the end carriers will look back and think "Why did we ever give them the Lords shipping rates to create such a beast, that then turned on us".

purplesky

Dude UPS was already so big back in the 80s that they didn't even put a UPS logo on their feeders. UPS was big and successful before the internet happened. They created an Airline.

UPS Logistics was there at the creation of the internet and helped design online retail from the beginning. So did FDX Express.

Amazon is important to all the major shippers.

I will just leave it at that.

purplesky

Well, dude, my reply had nothing to do with how much volume UPS moves for Amazon (at a highly discounted rate). The fact is that when investors buy UPS stock, they are buying a transportation company. It's what UPS does. Now what makes you think investors will want to put their money behind Brown as soon as they decide to enter the retail market competing with Walmart, Amazon, Target, and all the others? I realize you are mighty impressed with UPS, but part of their success is staying focused.

I am impressed with FDX also. FDX can do anything UPS does. Somethings even better.

I brought up this whole idea of UPS offering a online retail service because of the same day service that Amazon and Walmart are experimenting with. Things might look very different in 15 years. Who knows?

Look I realize this is a bold idea. But ideas are how things happen.

UPS is so well positioned logistically nationwide to do something like this that investors would applaud it. FDX could also try it.

I agree with you about staying focused.

purplesky

There is a reason why carriers don't do these things. If they did, they would lose a lot of business immediately from whatever sector they would be getting into and that would spread to other sectors (What if UPS did that to us?). If they were to start down that path, obviously other retailers wouldn't be happy, they then move as much business elsewhere and then when UPS fails, they would come back to even a smaller market for them.

Yes you are right. I am just looking down the road to a world where retail giants like a Amazon or Walmart don't need FDX and UPS.

TUT

Yes you are right. I am just looking down the road to a world where retail giants like a Amazon or Walmart don't need FDX and UPS.

One thing I agree on is not giving away the business to Amazon. Because every penny saved from their carriers, could be a penny going towards building/buying their own system and leaving the carriers in the dust.