Amazon will take all your ignorant route buyers

Exec32

Inovation at work. Of course having 3 times the revenue of X doesn't hurt either.

Project Seller Flex - Amazon would now oversee pickup of packages directly from the seller’s warehouses, and determine how these packages would be delivered — a task that was previously left to the seller, who often contracted with FedEx and UPS. This step effectively gives Amazon even more negotiation power over FedEx and UPS, and allows the company to gradually divert packages to its own delivery fleet.

Exec32

Oh yes they do, if they see a product that is successful, they will duplicate it sometimes from the same factories and sell it for less. Look at AmazonBasic products most are exact copies(or close enough to beat copyright rules)

I'm sorry, they are even more diverse than I thought.
Yes. And competition doesn’t get discounts.

The fact that a company puts a lot of money into the effort guarantees nothing. DHL found that out.
DHL, fine example of a one dimensional company. No comparison to Amazon, or walmart for that matter. UpS and X did in DHL.

Exec32

DHL, fine example of a one dimensional company. No comparison to Amazon, or walmart for that matter. UpS and X did in DHL.

I think USPS may have something to say about continuing those discounts..

bacha29

I believe that one thing is for certain. Bezos and Fat Freddy will continue to exploit the socioeconomic underclass of this nation with their cheap labor wages with little to no benefits and they will do so until it's no longer there at which time whoever is the farthest ahead in the field of drone delivery technology will ultimately prevail. In the meantime I believe that if Bezos thinks that he can take all of the easy in town stuff leave the boonie boxes for the others and still demand the huge discounts he's received in the past well,,,,,,I don't think he'll get them. This in turn may require him to go nationwide. Then we'll see how much money he's got .

Oldfart

DHL is still a major player in international shipping and logistics even though their US operation has struggled.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Here's an angle you guys aren't talking much about. Settling the class actions out of court X didn't have to admit to any fault, liability or wrong doing of any kind. While the eventual outcome was clouded and a bit inconclusive the process seemingly granted a degree of legal legitimacy to X's contractor model and paved the runway for other entrants using the same basic model given that it has been tested in court and could accelerate the building of new competitor networks.

As if FedEx didn't realize that was going to happen. In fact, they knew it would and the court rulings that have reshaped their contractor model only serve as an obstacle to those who want to enter the business. Airborne, DHL, Purolator, and Emery (if not others as well) had a much less restrictive contractor environment and still flopped. If Amazon wants to move their own freight, God bless 'em. If they want to get into the general delivery business, I'd speculate that they don't know what they're getting into.

zeev

I believe that one thing is for certain. Bezos and Fat Freddy will continue to exploit the socioeconomic underclass of this nation with their cheap labor wages with little to no benefits and they will do so until it's no longer there at which time whoever is the farthest ahead in the field of drone delivery technology will ultimately prevail. In the meantime I believe that if Bezos thinks that he can take all of the easy in town stuff leave the boonie boxes for the others and still demand the huge discounts he's received in the past well,,,,,,I don't think he'll get them. This in turn may require him to go nationwide. Then we'll see how much money he's got .
That’s the real meaning of the Amazon threat not competition for delivering pkgs but competition for low cost bodies to deliver the stuff. Also any comparison between DHL and Amazon is ludicrous. DHL tried to build a delivery system with high cost labor from scratch.

59 Dano

You think that being multi-demensional gives Amazon an advantage in an area that it has barely begun to enter? Daft.

59 Dano

Also any comparison between DHL and Amazon is ludicrous. DHL tried to build a delivery system with high cost labor from scratch.

ROTFLMAO!!!!

DHL didn't build squat. DHL bought Airborne's existing system and quickly fired thousands of employees who were replaced by contractors.

bbsam

Staff member
ROTFLMAO!!!!

DHL didn't build squat. DHL bought Airborne's existing system and quickly fired thousands of employees who were replaced by contractors.
Around here DHL had a single contractor running about 50 vans. They were terrible.

Does this sound like a familiar structure?

bacha29

As if FedEx didn't realize that was going to happen. In fact, they knew it would and the court rulings that have reshaped their contractor model only serve as an obstacle to those who want to enter the business. Airborne, DHL, Purolator, and Emery (if not others as well) had a much less restrictive contractor environment and still flopped. If Amazon wants to move their own freight, God bless 'em. If they want to get into the general delivery business, I'd speculate that they don't know what they're getting into.
The settlement may have served to set in place a far more restrictive contractor environment than what was first believed possible. As for becoming a common carrier I don't see how that could happen without first becoming a nationwide carrier and that's years away.

bacha29

That’s the real meaning of the Amazon threat not competition for delivering pkgs but competition for low cost bodies to deliver the stuff. Also any comparison between DHL and Amazon is ludicrous. DHL tried to build a delivery system with high cost labor from scratch.
When they run out of disposable human beings working like slaves for pennies the gig will be up for whichever one of them hasn't developed drone technology in time.

Exec32

You think that being multi-demensional gives Amazon an advantage in an area that it has barely begun to enter? Daft.
Barely begun to enter?
Amazon has the advantage because delivering is NOT THE ONLY AREA of their business model, unlike X. With that said they dont have to be perfect, in fact they dont even have to break even doing it. So, yes being multi dimensional or diversified is a unique advantage.

Exec32

Keep up with the speculation, champ. Man you must be in real deep with X. What a cheerleader..

Exec32

I'm sure you see though how problematic this can be for current carriers that compete for volume. Carriers that primarily rely on shipping revenue for the most part to support their operations s. Now you have a new threat, and one that can choose at times to pass on more costly deliveries, at least for a time, while they continue to build and improve their infrastructure to ultimately compete directly.
The real question is which of the current carriers is going to partner with them for the long term to eliminate or harm one of the competitors already delivering. Amazon already anticipates the elimination of discounts as a course of action, but one of them is going to budge and partner up.

Exec32

The settlement may have served to set in place a far more restrictive contractor environment than what was first believed possible. As for becoming a common carrier I don't see how that could happen without first becoming a nationwide carrier and that's years away.

You seem like a reasonable person. Read this article, it explains exactly how they will achieve it.

Dano dont try reading, it will hurt your brain.