Amazon

bacha29

As was widely and as you may recall Bezos was looking at New York as a place to build a new corporate HQ and wanted hundreds of millions in concessions from New York who agreed but made it conditional upon Bezos agreeing not to interfere in efforts to install a union at that warehouse. Bezos balked and the deal was off and in the end the warehouse voted in the union. Poetic justice.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
As was widely and as you may recall Bezos was looking at New York as a place to build a new corporate HQ and wanted hundreds of millions in concessions from New York who agreed but made it conditional upon Bezos agreeing not to interfere in efforts to install a union at that warehouse. Bezos balked and the deal was off and in the end the warehouse voted in the union. Poetic justice.
Uh, no, that is totally unrelated to this.

Brilliant Democrats attacked Amazon from multiple fronts, principally for the tax breaks they would get. As a result Amazon took the thousands of jobs and went elsewhere.

Nice try at revisionist history though.

Mutineer

Brilliant Democrats attacked Amazon from multiple fronts

In my personal observations I have witnessed large companies invade an area and set up shop with the promises of "jobs for the community."

Instead, the company imports it's own skilled workforce. This well-paid, imported workforce buys houses in the area and jacks up the cost of housing. The company also ignores local businesses, and contracts with businesses outside of the community for it's services.

The only jobs offered to the locals are janitorial, and other part-time minimum wage jobs.

I have seen this happen in my area multiple times. Anymore, I just roll my eyes.

AOC alluded that the example I provided would be the reality of Amazon setting up in New York. And the bug-eyed, crazy bitch is right!

I admit that it is a source of internal conflict that I agreed with AOC on something.

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
In my personal observations I have witnessed large companies invade an area and set up shop with the promises of "jobs for the community."

Instead, the company imports it's own skilled workforce. This well-paid, imported workforce buys houses in the area and jacks up the cost of housing. The company also ignores local businesses, and contracts with businesses outside of the community for it's services.

The only jobs offered to the locals are janitorial, and other part-time minimum wage jobs.

I have seen this happen in my area multiple times. Anymore, I just roll my eyes.

AOC alluded that the example I provided would be the reality of Amazon setting up in New York. And the bug-eyed, crazy bitch is right!

I admit that it is a source of internal conflict that I agreed with AOC on something.
In my personal experience these tax breaks have created middle class jobs, and usually have paid for themselves. But that's not what Amazon's headquarters would have done, so I get what you're saying.

Of course, it still would have brought in taxpayers that wouldn't be there otherwise. People who would put money into the existing economy. So I don't know what the hell Democrats were doing, other than virtue signaling with their class warfare tripe.

It will be fine

So in other words, ten years from now, Amazon drivers will be making double what Fat Freddy pays?
Because 1 warehouse voted in a union? I doubt that will influence the drivers that work for contractors. Watch as this union warehouse fails to keep up with the pay raises of surrounding warehouses while Amazon negotiates with the union. They’ll do that for years so the union won’t look so good to the workers.

Gone fishin

Because 1 warehouse voted in a union? I doubt that will influence the drivers that work for contractors. Watch as this union warehouse fails to keep up with the pay raises of surrounding warehouses while Amazon negotiates with the union. They’ll do that for years so the union won’t look so good to the workers.
I was in the union for 20 years. That’s not how this works. If they end up being a union shop , they will have a union representative who will decide what’s acceptable and what isn’t.
A mediator will look at the financials of the company and decide a fair wage. They won’t ask for more than the company can afford , they’re not trying to run the company out of business.
At the end of the day , all issues are contingent on the employees vote.
They now have a voice

FalconAss

Most of their issues are working conditions not pay. Which in this day and age you should not need a union to get a 15 minute break or just use the bathroom but here we are.

bacha29

Uh, no, that is totally unrelated to this.

Brilliant Democrats attacked Amazon from multiple fronts, principally for the tax breaks they would get. As a result Amazon took the thousands of jobs and went elsewhere.

Nice try at revisionist history though.
Thank you for confirming my earlier post. What Bezos was introduced to in NYC was something he wasn't used to. He only knew one thing....getting everything his own way. Something neither he nor anyone else gets in NYC . He demanded and would receive was more than 3 billion dollars in publicly funded subsidies and concessions but it came with conditions that he didn't think mighty Jeff Bezos should have to meet.

If you really are the conservative you claim to be then you would be outraged at the fact that Bezos demanded that 3 billion in public funds be placed at risk for the sake of a venture that in no way shape of form was certain to be a success. Wisconsin learned that lesson the hard way with Foxcom. But, that's what you see today. Companies wanting the losses to be born by the public while keeping the profits private.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
If you really are the conservative you claim to be then you would be outraged at the fact that Bezos demanded that 3 billion in public funds
3 billion in public funds?
You mean tax incentives?

You see the problem with left wingers is you think other people's money belongs to you. A tax incentive is not giving them money, it's letting them keep their money.

Try again my radical left wing friend.

abused.crr

There’s very little difference between the dems and repubs. Democrats spend and tax, republicans spend and tell big businesses to keep their billions.

I’m definitely not a Democrat because of some of my beliefs but at the same time there’s no way I can be a Republican. The Republican Party has the blue collar worker bamboozled

It will be fine

I was in the union for 20 years. That’s not how this works. If they end up being a union shop , they will have a union representative who will decide what’s acceptable and what isn’t.
A mediator will look at the financials of the company and decide a fair wage. They won’t ask for more than the company can afford , they’re not trying to run the company out of business.
At the end of the day , all issues are contingent on the employees vote.
They now have a voice
Amazon will do what FedEx Freight did, which is what I described. Pay surrounding locations more and move work to those stations. Meanwhile the union shop is negotiating so their pay is frozen and doesn’t keep up. Less hours and less pay at the union shop, workers leave even faster than is typical at a warehouse job, in a few years new workers decertify the union to get wages back up to par with surrounding locations. Anyone that believes the workers have won something with this vote is jumping the gun. It’ll take years that most warehouse workers aren’t willing to give for unknown potential gains.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Amazon will do what FedEx Freight did, which is what I described. Pay surrounding locations more and move work to those stations. Meanwhile the union shop is negotiating so their pay is frozen and doesn’t keep up. Less hours and less pay at the union shop, workers leave even faster than is typical at a warehouse job, in a few years new workers decertify the union to get wages back up to par with surrounding locations. Anyone that believes the workers have won something with this vote is jumping the gun. It’ll take years that most warehouse workers aren’t willing to give for unknown potential gains.
This.
They have a long battle ahead of them.
I wish them the best, but if they can't unionize other buildings they're screwed.

yadig

Really? It looks to be working pretty good at ups.