America the Beautiful

rickyb

Its not divide and conquer. People believe that stuff. They don't want them to be apart of them and they want a policy agenda that focusses on punishing or limiting those people. They see that as in their best interest as they understand it.
Oh its def divide and conquer.

Its a distraction from wats really happening

refineryworker05

I BEieve that lol ppl r incredibly stupid
Yes people are incredibly stupid. An ideology that dominates the world that some groups of people are better than others and we should elevate the favored groups of people and ignore or actively disadvantage the disfavored groups of people is not a distraction.

refineryworker05

I BEieve that lol ppl r incredibly stupid
In America, your class status as a white person is in part based on your promixmity to black Americans. Meaning, a white person can be living in very very poor economic conditions, but to many white people, a white person doesn't truly hit the bottom of class until they are forced to live near black Americans. I remember reading this book titled evicted, and it was about how being evicted from one's home causes tremendous harm to peoples' lives. It was based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
In the book, there was a trailer park with such poor living conditions that it was condemned, and a huge part of the fear of some of these very very poor white residents was that closing that trailer park would force them to seek housing where black people lived and to them that would truly be hitting rock bottom.
This class only analysis that the world is workers vs owners, capitlists vs everyone is foolish and incomplete. People have identities that they care about. Identities that they inheritied. Whole societies based on these identities having a hierarchal relationship to one another. Many people believe their material conditions are tied into how their "group" is doing in comparison to other groups.

rickyb

In America, your class status as a white person is in part based on your promixmity to black Americans. Meaning, a white person can be living in very very poor economic conditions, but to many white people, a white person doesn't truly hit the bottom of class until they are forced to live near black Americans. I remember reading this book titled evicted, and it was about how being evicted from one's home causes tremendous harm to peoples' lives. It was based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
In the book, there was a trailer park with such poor living conditions that it was condemned, and a huge part of the fear of some of these very very poor white residents was that closing that trailer park would force them to seek housing where black people lived and to them that would truly be hitting rock bottom.
This class only analysis that the world is workers vs owners, capitlists vs everyone is foolish and incomplete. People have identities that they care about. Identities that they inheritied. Whole societies based on these identities having a hierarchal relationship to one another. Many people believe their material conditions are tied into how their "group" is doing in comparison to other groups.
Id imagine americans arent that class aware vs europeans

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
D28A48EC-567F-415B-B232-D9C9D496A04A.png

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
<iframe src="Team America Vomit GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY" width="480" height="442" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

refineryworker05

Id imagine americans arent that class aware vs europeans
I have no idea because I never even been to Europe, but in America class identity is tied up in racial identity in a twisted way that's difficult to untangle.
Like if you look at the economic policy preferences of self identified republicans and democrats, they are very very similar and they are clearly left of center.
when it comes to higher taxes on rich people, spending money on educating children and healthcare, providing unemployment benefits, social security, medicare, a minimum wage, regulations to protect workers, regulations to stop companies from polluting the environment. These are all broadly popular in America. republicans don't have any real popular economic ideas outside of appealing to the belief that the wrong people are benefitting from government programs.
What divides Americans and always has is WHO counts as fully American. Its what almost all political fights are about.