Amusing UPS Stories

Sammie

That brought to mind a similar situation here in Colorado. One of the feeder drivers stopped at the port in Colorado Springs
and got out to go into the port, forgetting to set his brakes.
While he was inside his set of doubles rolled down a hill and smashed into a Blockbuster Video store. Thank God no one was hurt. This "not setting the brakes" probably happens more than it should......

trickpony1

I have found that popping that red airline off after getting out of the truck pretty much solves any problems I might have. LOL!

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
Couple of years back, we had a feeder driver stop and forget to set brakes. Went inside to get a bite to eat came out, you guessed it truck rolled off. Down the driveway, across 4 lanes of traffic, through a barbed wire fence into a farmer pasture. He called DPS reported stolen, When trooper showed up, he asked driver if we was pulling a set of doubles? Driver says yes, trooper tells driver to get in car. Trooper takes driver to truck about 400 yards away.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
This is a great thread.
Funniest thing I can think of was a turkey bite.
We were used to dogs chasing the drivers, and cows blocking the road, but one of our drivers in my first center got attacked by a turkey, pecked the heck out of him. It was a pet turkey, family pet. While he wasn't seriously injured, it was amusing listening while the the sup tried to write up the injury report. Rest his soul he is gone now, but he was the type of person who made it even funnier just listening to him tell his story. Every time I heard it I laughed til I cried.

Sammie

One of my retired UPS buddies reminded me of some stories I had told her eons ago when I worked in the Safety Department and that I had long forgotten about:

A UPS driver delivering to "Starwood", where the movie stars live in Aspen, Colorado, accidently ran over one sprinkler head in Jack Nicholson's yard. We got a call from Mr. Nicholson's personal assistant who demanded that we replace the entire
sprinkling system on the multi acre spread...

This is also the driver who claimed that many Aspen housewives thought nothing of answering the front door clothed in skin only.....

Not amusing, but...Another driver dropped a package off in a window well one day. The 80 year old lady who lived there fell into the window well trying to retrieve it and stayed there all day. That night a neighbor heard her frail cries for help, thank God. Be careful where you DR!!

And last but not least... A driver knocked on a door and when the lady answered, her vicious little poodle nailed the driver on
a rather sensitive part of his body and wouldn't let go...

Think that's all for now...

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I was driver helping in Denver for Peak 2006 and we pull up to this house, driver nods up and says, "Don't get startled. There's a dog that lays beneath that bush." I nod, take the package and head up to the door. I look around and see no dog. I found out he was on the opposite side of where I'd assumed he was. He saw me and gave one quick bark. I jump and whirl to see him, laying down but had brought his head up to bark. He wasn't being hostile so I continued to the door and DR'ed the package. When I turned to look at him, he made a noise I could swear is the equivalent of a doggy chuckle. He lay right back down and returned to his snooze. -Rocky

rockymtnupser

rockymtnupser
When we used to have driver sort and load we used to open those 1 apple court pkgs.(sex toys) and admire the size of the things our customers would get. haha Well we didnt get one taped up and the driver who delivered the pkg realized after releasing to the customer 4 stops later he finds the toy fell out behind another pkg. too embarassed to return he said he threw it in the bushes a couple blocks away.

akira-san

i too started my ups career way back in 1975 in sunny san diego ca. now i'm very happily retired. got a good laugh out of it, thanks !!

Ruralbrownman

Not sure if this is funny or sad , but here goes. We had a driver that slipped in the back of his package car on a rainy day. The next day our division manager , who now is working in Atlanta , called our safety committee chairperson and wanted him to do the following. Get a white roll of paper and have each driver step on it with his work shoes on , then each driver would sign his name by his shoe print , the paper was then to be sent to her so she could she if the soles on our work shoes were worn out or still good. Needless to say , this was never done!!!!!!!

Sammie

Not sure if this is funny or sad , but here goes. We had a driver that slipped in the back of his package car on a rainy day. The next day our division manager , who now is working in Atlanta , called our safety committee chairperson and wanted him to do the following. Get a white roll of paper and have each driver step on it with his work shoes on , then each driver would sign his name by his shoe print , the paper was then to be sent to her so she could she if the soles on our work shoes were worn out or still good. Needless to say , this was never done!!!!!!!

Sounds like this manager would do well on CSI!!

over9five

Staff member
"...he said he threw it in the bushes a couple blocks away."

Translation:

He took it home and tried it out with the wife!

ups79

satellite-I said nothing about your arm. I guess I should of said your hand up to your wrist. The latch was right there.

cental34

Not too amusing, but a coworker and I were unloading a Dell Computers truck last night, and he came across a half-filled bottle of a dark yellow substance. The bottle had the label ripped off, but it appeared to be a Pepsi bottle. I asked him if he knew what it was (I did), and he said it was either Mellow Yellow or Mountain Dew. I told him it was too dark to be either of those and that it was a Pepsi bottle. He finally caught on and tossed it out of the trailer.

UPSwannaB

not yet worthy
Today the UPS guy pulled up in front of the school. He usually comes every day around 7th period. Anyway today he pulled up and walked to the back of the truck to get the packages. At the same time a lady was walking her dogs down the street. (It was weird because she was carrying her big dog, and the little tiny one was following behind her, not on a leash.) Anyway, she goes past the truck, and the little dog stops, looks at the truck, and bolts into it lol. It took about 10 seconds, but finally the dog came out being pushed by a big box. Had the whole class laughing.

BTW, I wasn't goofing off in class, I had my work finished :cool:

satellitedriver

satellite-I said nothing about your arm. I guess I should of said your hand up to your wrist. The latch was right there.

The hole was at the top of the door. the latch was in the middle of the door. Guess I should have explained that. Sorry to confuse you with my explaination of the situation. Or better yet, I should have called the center and sat by the side of the road for a couple of hours for someone to bring me a key.

BoogaBooga

Those were some hilarious stories! I have had so many funny situations happen in my presence or heard about first hand in my 20+ years at UPS. We had a 20 year part time employee retire, we laughed for 2 hours straight, at an unofficial retirement lunch . When we left Applebees laughing all the way out the door, all the patrons were looking out the windows, and chuckling. Someone asked, "Where do you all work?" I proudly said-"UPS."

OldManAllowance

As a cover driver I once was at a farm. I've heard of affectionate pets but this place had an affectionate goat. It was a hot summer day and my passenger door was open. The car was barely stopped when the goat jumps up into the cab. All I could hear was this click, click noise of his hoofs on the metal deck. All the time this goat is jumping around, stepping on my feet and bucking the bulk head door (aren't you proud I had it closed!). This goat won't leave untill you pet it awhile.
The next day I asked the regular guy about the stop. He says "Oh didn't anyone mention the goat? Just be glad he did'nt get in the cargo area with you....