Ancestry Results

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Did you hear of the recent case where a black man had his tested and was all upset when it showed he was mainly European?
Man Refuses To Accept He’s No Longer Black After DNA Test Results - Liberty Headlines
It is based on Mitochondrial DNA which comes from the female chromosome and the fact that DNA strands are interpopulated with DNA from both parents ... it certainly is not as accurate as actual, ad hoc analysis can be.

I am not an expert or even novice on this so someone with an interest in this area ... feel free to add to, change or delete any of what little I know.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
They are Mormon based so it is part of their religious belief to have the ancestry of all people in their database.
I know several people that go out to SLC, UT to do family ancestry research.

Now you just blew OnG's mind. No way he would ever believe a Mormon.

oldngray

nowhere special
Now you just blew OnG's mind. No way he would ever believe a Mormon.

Wrong.

Mormons are definitely experts on family histories.

I do have problems with their ideology and baptism of the dead (which is why genealogy is so important to them) but that is another issue.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Anyone else get these DNA mapping done?

Very disappointed I didn't have any African-American or Native American DNA traces in my blood.
I'm just a typical WASP much to my dismay.
A true Southerner to my relief ... I just couldn't handle being a Yankee.
My great-grandmother was 50% Creek Indian but I didn't get the mitochondrial DNA passed on to me.
Such is the way with Natural Selection.

View attachment 131280

Tony and I did the 23andme dna analysis a couple of years ago. My ancestry report was pretty boring. My health reports were boring too. No big surprises anywhere. When I had cancer in 2015 my oncologist wanted a copy tho.
dna-.png

dna-2.png

badpal

Very disappointed I didn't have any African-American or Native American DNA traces in my blood.
I'm just a typical WASP much to my dismay.
A true Southerner to my relief ... I just couldn't handle being a Yankee.
My great-grandmother was 50% Creek Indian but I didn't get the mitochondrial DNA passed on to me.
Such is the way with Natural Selection.
Fascinating stuff, so if I understand right, your full blood sis or bro could take same test and they might show the indian blood ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If they are testing mitochondrial DNA that is passed along the maternal line so should be the same if you all had the same mother.

There are fewer markers with mitochondrial is its not as precise.
That's just looking at the M-DNA ... the other DNA can have attributes/characteristics from mother and father.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I forgot to mention this:

dna3.png

So more Neanderthal variants than 82% of other people that gotten their DNA analysis, so I've got that going for me...