Ancestry Results

P

pickup

Nah, I don't think that every CEO is not a good person. Zuckerberg is intentionally institutionalizing the destruction of personal privacy.
No open internet for the poorest of India. He wanted to create free facebooknet for poor people. Everything on their internet filtered through facebook. Somehow that makes me distrust him.

I saw the movie "The Circle" because I wanted to see some hypothetical yet real examples of how Privacy can be destroyed. I knew the movie would stink overall as I read the reviews beforehand but it served its purpose. I might get the book on which the movie was based as I know the endings are very different

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I saw the movie "The Circle" because I wanted to see some hypothetical yet real examples of how Privacy can be destroyed. I knew the movie would stink overall as I read the reviews beforehand but it served its purpose. I might get the book on which the movie was based as I know the endings are very different
I was interested in seeing that movie for the same reason. The Circle movie reviews have been pretty bad. Guess I'll wait for it to show up on netflix. I may pick up the book tho, thanks for bringing up the idea.

P

pickup

I was interested in seeing that movie for the same reason. The Circle movie reviews have been pretty bad. Guess I'll wait for it to show up on netflix. I may pick up the book tho, thanks for bringing up the idea.

I saw it for $6.75 at the early bird matinee. Snuck in my own popcorn and water. I needed two hours to get out of my own head. To my credit, I didn't see The current incarnation of Fast and Furious.

I thought Tom Hanks pulled off a very compelling interpretation of a Silicon Valley CEO. He was a cross between Steve Jobs and what's his name from Facebook. Emma Watson did a pretty good job too but their performances were overshadowed by that horrendously plodding script(or was it directing, or editing? I dunno.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pickup

I am a recently minted member of Audible. For $14.95 a month, I get to choose a new book each month. So I had a "credit" and I used it to get the Audiobook version of the book, The Circle.

I finished listening to it yesterday and I enjoyed it. The book fleshed out the themes that I was exposed to in the Movie much more thoroughly. It has a Brave New World and 1984 feel to it and I as far as I can see, the themes are real and the trends are there in this current society that we live in. The only difference that I can see in the implementation of these things is the timeline.

I could say more, but I don't want to ruin the book for anyone. I will say since this is the "Ancestry Results Thread" that someone who is the guinea pig for the Circle's "Past Perfect" program who learns a little more about her ancestry than she bargained for.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I am a recently minted member of Audible. For $14.95 a month, I get to choose a new book each month. So I had a "credit" and I used it to get the Audiobook version of the book, The Circle.

I finished listening to it yesterday and I enjoyed it. The book fleshed out the themes that I was exposed to in the Movie much more thoroughly. It has a Brave New World and 1984 feel to it and I as far as I can see, the themes are real and the trends are there in this current society that we live in. The only difference that I can see in the implementation of these things is the timeline.

I could say more, but I don't want to ruin the book for anyone. I will say since this is the "Ancestry Results Thread" that someone who is the guinea pig for the Circle's "Past Perfect" program who learns a little more about her ancestry than she bargained for.
That's a coincidence, I just signed up for audible a couple of weeks ago. It's been great for listening to in the car etc.

Good to know there's an audio version. I'll add The Circle to my audiobook list. Thanks.

P

pickup

That's a coincidence, I just signed up for audible a couple of weeks ago. It's been great for listening to in the car etc.

Good to know there's an audio version. I'll add The Circle to my audiobook list. Thanks.

You're welcome!

I posted, a day or two ago a thread about an app called Hoopla(free) that allows you to download audiobooks for 21 days through your local library. Here is the thread: Free Books

It is my intention to use audible once a month for a book that I really want and the Hoopla app for stuff that looks interesting . I can search by author (maybe other ways) and usually find something I want. Or I can take a shot on something that looks interesting and if I don't like it, no harm no foul, I didn't pay anything for it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You're welcome!

I posted, a day or two ago a thread about an app called Hoopla(free) that allows you to download audiobooks for 21 days through your local library. Here is the thread: Free Books

It is my intention to use audible once a month for a book that I really want and the Hoopla app for stuff that looks interesting . I can search by author (maybe other ways) and usually find something I want. Or I can take a shot on something that looks interesting and if I don't like it, no harm no foul, I didn't pay anything for it.
You mean like a book made of paper?
I wasn't aware they made them anymore.
Last book I bought was on playing the Harmonica ... I wanted it so I could practice down by the creek.
I read a lot on Kindle and of course the PC screen.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I specifically stated audiobooks in that post. But the app does have E books as well, I just haven't used the app to download any of those .
Sorry ... missed that specific.
I have hundreds of e-books on my PC ... never thought about on the Kindle.
I stream music mostly on my Kindle ... I'm Prime and subscribe to unlimited music so I bluetooth it into my home system which plays outside, in man cave and bedroom.
It only streams to one device at a time.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Ancestry.com takes DNA ownership rights from customers and their relatives - Medium

Don’t use the AncestryDNA testing service without actually reading the Ancestry.com Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. According to these legal contracts, you still own your DNA, but so does Ancestry.com.

The family history website Ancestry.com is selling a new DNA testing service called AncestryDNA. But the DNA and genetic data that Ancestry.com collects may be used against “you or a genetic relative.” According to its privacy policies, Ancestry.com takes ownership of your DNA forever. Your ownership of your DNA, on the other hand, is limited in years.

It seems obvious that customers agree to this arrangement, since all of them must “click here to agree” to these terms. But, how many people really read those contacts before clicking to agree? And how many relatives of Ancestry.com customers are also reading?