Ancestry Results

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You really only need 1 person in family to have it checked and share the results with siblings.
Yeah I guess my aunt just got it done on my moms side. 97% European. And my dads family came over from England in the mid 1600's so I'd say my ancestry is mostly European.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I think it's either a total scam or a way to bank the most intimate of information about you.
IMHO dna analysis is not information that I worry about. I don't care about where anyone's ancestors came from.

Maybe I'm naive but I worry more about net neutrality. ISP's selling internet history or the search history that google and facebook store. People that take those fb quizzes give up way more personal information than dna analysis about who their ancestors were ever could. Who really cares about our ancestor's dna mix and mingle? Again, maybe I'm just naive.

rod

Retired 22 years
If I only had some Indian in me I could be out spearing and netting fish right now just like they did a 100 years ago----------------------with power boats

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
IMHO dna analysis is not information that I worry about. I don't care about where anyone's ancestors came from.

Maybe I'm naive but I worry more about net neutrality. ISP's selling internet history or the search history that google and facebook store. People that take those fb quizzes give up way more personal information than dna analysis about who their ancestors were ever could. Who really cares about our ancestor's dna mix and mingle? Again, maybe I'm just naive.
At this point I don't necessarily worry about it.

But who knows what could be linked to ones DNA in the future.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
At this point I don't necessarily worry about it.

But who knows what could be linked to ones DNA in the future.
Could be. That's a future I am hopeful we humans can be wise enough to avoid. Our individual ancestry dna is not chosen by us. It happened and here we are. The choices we have today are our own. Let's own them.

rod

Retired 22 years
Could be. That's a future I am hopeful we humans can be wise enough to avoid. Our individual ancestry dna is not chosen by us. It happened and here we are. The choices we have today are our own. Let's own them.

We humans aren't know to be a vary wise bunch.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member

It's privacy violations like the following that worry me a lot more than DNA analysis.

Leaked document reveals Facebook conducted research to target emotionally vulnerable and insecure youth - news.com.au

FACEBOOK has come under fire over revelations it is targeting potentially vulnerable youths who “need a confidence boost” to facilitate predatory advertising practices.

The allegation was revealed this morning by The Australian which obtained internal documents from the social media giant which reportedly show how Facebook can exploit the moods and insecurities of teenagers using the platform for the potential benefit of advertisers.

The confidential document dated this year detailed how by monitoring posts, comments and interactions on the site, Facebook can figure out when people as young as 14 feel “defeated”, “overwhelmed”, “stressed”, “anxious”, “nervous”, “stupid”, “silly”, “useless”, and a “failure”.

Such information gathered through a system dubbed sentiment analysis could be used by advertisers to target young Facebook users when they are potentially more vulnerable.

oldngray

nowhere special
It's privacy violations like the following that worry me a lot more than DNA analysis.

Leaked document reveals Facebook conducted research to target emotionally vulnerable and insecure youth - news.com.au

FACEBOOK has come under fire over revelations it is targeting potentially vulnerable youths who “need a confidence boost” to facilitate predatory advertising practices.

The allegation was revealed this morning by The Australian which obtained internal documents from the social media giant which reportedly show how Facebook can exploit the moods and insecurities of teenagers using the platform for the potential benefit of advertisers.

The confidential document dated this year detailed how by monitoring posts, comments and interactions on the site, Facebook can figure out when people as young as 14 feel “defeated”, “overwhelmed”, “stressed”, “anxious”, “nervous”, “stupid”, “silly”, “useless”, and a “failure”.

Such information gathered through a system dubbed sentiment analysis could be used by advertisers to target young Facebook users when they are potentially more vulnerable.

Didn't facebook benefit from the supposed "Net Neutrality" rules?

Net Neutrality is a good concept but in my opinion the end result fails to deliver on promises.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Facebook lost big in India but Zuckerberg is a strong proponent of Net Neutrality.

I don't use facebook . I consider it snowflake spyware.
He may be pro net neutrality, but he's still has no problem violating the privacy of the naive people that do use fb. I don't trust him. He's probably broadcasting that he's pro net neutrality so he looks like a good guy, he's not a good guy.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
He may be pro net neutrality, but he's still has no problem violating the privacy of the naive people that do use fb. I don't trust him. He's probably broadcasting that he's pro net neutrality so he looks like a good guy, he's not a good guy.
He is the CEO of a huge corporation ... of course he is NOT a good person.