And here they go once again

upschuck

Why would they not give them incentives if they are union? Petty republicans. That way when VW leaves they can blame it on the union

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The republicans would rather have volkswagen build products in mexico, then see to it, that a growing company in the USA expand and hire more american workers.

Hopefully, people see that the GOP/Republicans are ANTI AMERICAN worker and pro slave wage.

TOS.

brownIEman

Wow. That is a moronic stance for a state legislator from any side of the isle to take. "If you vote union I will do everything in my power to stop incentive's to bring jobs into the state"

However, do the VW management folks have no clue about American unions? This is just comically naive -
"Volkswagen is eager to have a German-style works council at the Chattanooga plant. The council would bring together managers and white- and blue-collar workers to help set factory policies and foster collaboration. Many labor experts say that to have a works council, employees first need to vote for a labor union to represent them. If the Chattanooga plant establishes a works council, it would be the first factory in the United States to do so."

"Works Council" WTF. Anyone remember the "Workteams" UPS tried in the mid 90's? Same thing. If they get in, the UAW will obstruct works councils at every turn.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Wow. That is a moronic stance for a state legislator from any side of the isle to take. "If you vote union I will do everything in my power to stop incentive's to bring jobs into the state"

However, do the VW management folks have no clue about American unions? This is just comically naive -
"Volkswagen is eager to have a German-style works council at the Chattanooga plant. The council would bring together managers and white- and blue-collar workers to help set factory policies and foster collaboration. Many labor experts say that to have a works council, employees first need to vote for a labor union to represent them. If the Chattanooga plant establishes a works council, it would be the first factory in the United States to do so."

"Works Council" WTF. Anyone remember the "Workteams" UPS tried in the mid 90's? Same thing. If they get in, the UAW will obstruct works councils at every turn.

Volkswagen employs work councils across the world ( except in the USA ) it works great in every other country on the face of the earth, why not the USA? Volkswagen is COMMITTED to staying neutral on the subject and wants its employees to make the final decision, and it WISHES Third parties ( ie: the republicans) would do the same.

The plant spokesperson stated.

Unfortunately, the GOP would rather lose the jobs than create higher wages for workers. They know, if the industry standard is raised, other companies may do the same, and thats the LAST thing they want to see happen.

"Right to work for less money" just doesnt have the same ring when you say it completely.

TOS.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Labor unions in Europe tend to be a lot stronger than unions in the US so that's probably why VW feels confident about their ability to work with a union.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Those idiots would be stupid not to vote yes on the union. Such a no brainer if you want to have good wages and benefits in this day and age. Big companies need unions to oversee all the bs nonsense and games. Perfect example is UPS. Could you imagine this company not having a union. Sure theres a lot of bs behind the scenes and we all know the bs and games, but were better off with a union than without one.

brownIEman

Volkswagen employs work councils across the world ( except in the USA ) it works great in every other country on the face of the earth, why not the USA? Volkswagen is COMMITTED to staying neutral on the subject and wants its employees to make the final decision, and it WISHES Third parties ( ie: the republicans) would do the same.

The plant spokesperson stated.

Unfortunately, the GOP would rather lose the jobs than create higher wages for workers. They know, if the industry standard is raised, other companies may do the same, and thats the LAST thing they want to see happen.

"Right to work for less money" just doesnt have the same ring when you say it completely.

TOS.

I think the works councils could probably work very well in the US. My point is that, while I agree with jones that unions in Europe are very strong compared to American unions, US unions tend to have a more directly hostile and confrontational relationship with companies than in Europe. This is not meant as a slam against American unions, I believe building this hostile and confrontational culture stems from the fact that unions here have not been as successful as their European counterparts in changing the political environment, so they have had little choice. The works councils are an arena for hourly employees to work directly and cooperatively with management to solve policy and work environment issues. The last thing the unions want is their members working cooperatively with management to solve problems, they want their members to see them, the unions, as the solution to any issues. They will work to obstruct or undermine the work councils in any way they can. Ironically, US unions use fear tactics about the corporate boogie man to keep their membership compliant in the same way the GOP uses fear to keep their base in line. They both demonize their opponents and hold themselves as the only protection from them.

If UPS had adopted the "Work Teams" they originally wanted to, your issues related to 9.5 dispatch, harassment, car availability, you name it, could be resolved through the work teams. You would not need to ask your on-road to get dispatch resolved. There would be half or fewer on roads as there are today. One of the reasons these teams did not work was that the union actively and forcefully discouraged members from participating. Any one remember the fliers handed out, the "You don't need a work team, you already have a team, the Teamsters!"?

C

chuchu

I think the works councils could probably work very well in the US. My point is that, while I agree with jones that unions in Europe are very strong compared to American unions, US unions tend to have a more directly hostile and confrontational relationship with companies than in Europe. This is not meant as a slam against American unions, I believe building this hostile and confrontational culture stems from the fact that unions here have not been as successful as their European counterparts in changing the political environment, so they have had little choice. The works councils are an arena for hourly employees to work directly and cooperatively with management to solve policy and work environment issues. The last thing the unions want is their members working cooperatively with management to solve problems, they want their members to see them, the unions, as the solution to any issues. They will work to obstruct or undermine the work councils in any way they can. Ironically, US unions use fear tactics about the corporate boogie man to keep their membership compliant in the same way the GOP uses fear to keep their base in line. They both demonize their opponents and hold themselves as the only protection from them.

If UPS had adopted the "Work Teams" they originally wanted to, your issues related to 9.5 dispatch, harassment, car availability, you name it, could be resolved through the work teams. You would not need to ask your on-road to get dispatch resolved. There would be half or fewer on roads as there are today. One of the reasons these teams did not work was that the union actively and forcefully discouraged members from participating. Any one remember the fliers handed out, the "You don't need a work team, you already have a team, the Teamsters!"?
The "self directed" teams were a subterfuge and implemented prior to the 97 contract The stock (some) was offered to employees to purchase so that we wouldn't strike ("since we owned the company as stockholders") ... due to the projected and anticipated upheaval of the hourly's coming outrage at the ludicrous "performance based" pay scale offered and other stupid language changes proposed by the company.

"Work teams" may work for employees somewhere but not at UPS.

If everyone is objective and honest we could leave our houses and cars unlocked too. From what I have witnessed, honesty and truthfulness is only expected from the hourly, not the management, in this company.

Inthegame

The "self directed" teams were a subterfuge and implemented prior to the 97 contract The stock (some) was offered to employees to purchase so that we wouldn't strike ("since we owned the company as stockholders") ... due to the projected and anticipated upheaval of the hourly's coming outrage at the ludicrous "performance based" pay scale offered and other stupid language changes proposed by the company.

"Work teams" may work for employees somewhere but not at UPS.

If everyone is objective and honest we could leave our houses and cars unlocked too. From what I have witnessed, honesty and truthfulness is only expected from the hourly, not the management, in this company.
The IPO was in '99 after the strike. Plans for the IPO were underway in '96.

C

chuchu

The IPO was in '99 after the strike. Plans for the IPO were underway in '96.
The stock option was disclosed and heavily pushed by management in our center prior to the contract ending July 31, 1997.

The IPO was after the strike, true. But the stock option was marketed to the employees as a carrot prior to the strike. I was in that pcm when it was offered so that we could all be "owners" of the company.

C

chuchu

I remember getting 45 minutes to an hour of "self directed" team meeting time before the PCMs multiple times from 95-97.

Since the work stoppage occurred, those vanished like Joe Biden and it's tough to just get a "C" wash once a quarter.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I remember getting 45 minutes to an hour of "self directed" team meeting time before the PCMs multiple times from 95-97.

Since the work stoppage occurred, those vanished like Joe Biden and it's tough to just get a "C" wash once a quarter.
I thoroughly "C" wash my truck about once a month for time and a half.
I takes longer to gather the supplies than it does to do the job.
Seems like it would be cheaper to have a part timer do it?