And You Red Staters Were Afraid of Obama

wkmac

Afraid he would dismantle the security state built during the Bush years. Well rest easy cause he's got ya back!

Obama supports extending Patriot Act provisions

Hmmmm!

1) If red state totaliterians desire the security state

and

2) President Obama will extend/maintain that security state

and

3) Obama supporters are loyal to Obama no matter what by always saying any position he takes was his position all along and therefore

and

4) We support because we support him (he's democrat, Bush was not, see post #2)

then

Doesn't that in effect make all the above the very same thing?
Tell me again the difference between the democrat and republican parties or the difference between Statist conservatives, Statist liberals and
Statist vulgar libertarians. (otherwise known as DC beltway minarchism)

I guess it's like for 8 years they were anti-war Bush and anti-patriot act Bush so I guess following the old native american warning of "beware the one who speaks with folked tongue!"

The new symbol of the proud and honorable American!

Funny how we did things before Hitler came along and changed the construct!
american-school-children-bellamy-salute.jpg

devil.thumbnail.gif

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I just heard on the news that the White House decided to pull the missile shield away from Eastern Europe. The Russians are very happy.....

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I just heard on the news that the White House decided to pull the missile shield away from Eastern Europe. The Russians are very happy.....
Well, I think that was a big reason for it. We need Russia's cooperation on dealing with Iran.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, we do, but its Russia that sells nuclear technology to Iran and Hugo Chavez. Neither country needs nuclear power, they have more than enough oil.

wkmac

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The United States is dropping plans for a controversial missile defense shield and replacing it with a "new missile defense architecture in Europe," President Obama said Thursday.
The new system "will provide capabilities sooner, build on proven systems and offer greater defenses against the threat of missile attack than the 2007 European missile defense program" proposed by former President George W. Bush, Obama said.
Obama did not go into details about the new plan but said it had received the unanimous support of U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates and the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Obama said the change of gears was based on an "updated intelligence assessment" about Iran's ability to hit Europe with missiles.
The Islamic republic's "short- and medium-range" missiles pose the most current threat, he said, and "this new ballistic missile defense will best address" that threat.

Obama scraps Bush-era missile defense for new plan

Sounds like this is not a total retreat from a missle defense system but rather a strategic change. Gates and Joints Chiefs gave unanimous support. Military Industrial Complex has invested way to much effort and money on missle defense concept to allow a rogue President to step up and shut off the money valve. My guess is version 2.0 will bring them even more money.

This really is no surprise as even back in February, word was circulating that the Obama adminstration would take "a different approach" but like all things gov't, the difference is minor as each ruling power just wants their personal touch so the voters are conned into believing they've had real change. Superfically, it may have changed but at it's real core, it's the same thing.

Also ironic in this announcement is the Newsweek headline from yesterday (9/16/2009) Politics is not a fractured vaccum from which disjointed actions emerge!

Why are we even defending Europe to begin with?

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Well, I think that was a big reason for it. We need Russia's cooperation on dealing with Iran.

Guys, help me understand how Russia would be happy if we're still going to have a defense system...?? Is it strictly the location that they're concerned about?

Originally (according to the media)we were going to have a radar site in the Czech Republic and 10 missile interceptors in Poland to counter the threat of Iran.

Now we're going to have:

The new system will have "hundreds" of missile interceptors, said Gen. James Cartwright, deputy chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Pentagon's point man on the issue.
It also will have mobile radars, including some in space, "that can move to wherever the threat actually emanates and wherever we feel we need to defend ourselves," Cartwright said.
He contrasted the new sensor technology with the radar systems envisioned in the old plan, which he called "basically left over from the Cold War."

CNN article

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Guys, help me understand how Russia would be happy if we're still going to have a defense system...?? Is it strictly the location that they're concerned about?

Originally (according to the media)we were going to have a radar site in the Czech Republic and 10 missile interceptors in Poland to counter the threat of Iran.

Now we're going to have:

The new system will have "hundreds" of missile interceptors, said Gen. James Cartwright, deputy chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Pentagon's point man on the issue.
It also will have mobile radars, including some in space, "that can move to wherever the threat actually emanates and wherever we feel we need to defend ourselves," Cartwright said.
He contrasted the new sensor technology with the radar systems envisioned in the old plan, which he called "basically left over from the Cold War."

CNN article
The short answer is yes. They were not happy at all about us building permanent missile sites in eastern Europe, essentially on their borders.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Well then...On the surface this seems like a win/win for the United States.

We still have the protection (supposedly even better) and we get to have better relations with Russia! :happy-very:

My family has been to Moscow before and our guide said most Russians weren't very fond of Americans. It's probably all the Stalin statues we saw all around the city influencing them!:funny: Perhaps we'll plan another trip before we fall out of there good graces again!

Here we are in Red Square.

red-square.jpg