Another Day Another School Shooting

vantexan

The belief that the "justified" use of a firearm to bring a violent end to an incident is always at that very moment the exclusive domain of the person pulling the trigger....or so he thinks.
A woman is home alone. A bad guy knows it and intends to break in and rape her. Possibly kill her. Do you think she has the right to defend herself with a gun or should she just let nature take its course?

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
People on the frontier protected themselves from not only Indians but also criminals. There was no calling 911. Everyone knew exactly what the 2nd Amendment was saying, and courts have upheld that right even when the Supreme Court was majority liberal. I have never understood why anti gun advocates cannot grasp the simple point that when guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns. And I think most gun owners will tell you they are regulated plenty.
You have to address how the argument were posed to the courts(s). Many of the items of litigation skirt the broad beliefs people hold. They are narrowly defined issues. There has never been a judgment against federally mandated gun control. What we have seen is decades of blockage by gun "rights" advocates to anything proposed by law from congress of anything that resembles reasonable controls on gun ownership.
The supreme court isn't making laws. Making law is the right of congress.

vantexan

You have to address how the argument were posed to the courts(s). Many of the items of litigation skirt the broad beliefs people hold. They are narrowly defined issues. There has never been a judgment against federally mandated gun control. What we have seen is decades of blockage by gun "rights" advocates to anything proposed by law from congress of anything that resembles reasonable controls on gun ownership.
The supreme court isn't making laws. Making law is the right of congress.
The Supreme Court makes rulings on cases brought before it. But I digress. Congress was once controlled by Democrats for 40 straight years during which there were also Democrat presidents and a liberal Supreme Court. If they didn't fix what you feel is broken when exactly will it ever be fixed? You're spitting in the wind on this one.

Mutineer

What we need is more of that "well regulated" right to bear arms.
I absolutely agree. In the language of the time, and in the context of 2A, "well regulated" has nothing to do with laws and the possession of arms.

It has been settled in the courts long ago that regarding the militia: "well regulated" means that the members of the militia are competent and skilled in the use of arms.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I absolutely agree. In the language of the time, and in the context of 2A, "well regulated" has nothing to do with laws and the possession of arms.

It has been settled in the courts long ago that regarding the militia: "well regulated" means that the members of the militia are competent and skilled in the use of arms.
And how were these militia persons able to be come competent and skilled in the use of their arms ?

oldngray

nowhere special

The meaning of regulated was different in the language usage of the time and too many people today try to apply a different meaning to it.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
A woman is home alone. A bad guy knows it and intends to break in and rape her. Possibly kill her. Do you think she has the right to defend herself with a gun or should she just let nature take its course?
Too bad Mary didn't have a gun. Somebody raped her and she had a child. You all believe it was immaculate conception and started a religion.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
And of course we have no way to get elsewhere. Funny that libs want to save the planet from climate change but make every day living extremely difficult with crime, inflation, wokeism.
Hopefully have a few million years to figure space travel out. We'll probably all kill each other before then though.