Another decade in ROCK history.

Future

Victory Ride
70's was the golden age for rock imho. There's been some good rock made in every decade since but most of it is pretty forgettable.
In 10 years nobody will remember most of the stuff posted in this thread, but they'll still be listening to Clapton, Zeppelin, Boston, Fleetwood Mac, etc.
I would even go as far as saying mid 60’s

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
70's was the golden age for rock imho. There's been some good rock made in every decade since but most of it is pretty forgettable.
In 10 years nobody will remember most of the stuff posted in this thread, but they'll still be listening to Clapton, Zeppelin, Boston, Fleetwood Mac, etc.
In the 70's rock was still considered pop and received top 40 airplay and so appealed more to the general masses. Over time, rock was shown the back seat and made its way more underground making it harder to find without personal effort on the listeners' part and subsequently less general popularity. Even the best musicians out there are people we will never hear of.

oldngray

nowhere special
In the 70's rock was still considered pop and received top 40 airplay and so appealed more to the general masses. Over time, rock was shown the back seat and made its way more underground making it harder to find without personal effort on the listeners' part and subsequently less general popularity. Even the best musicians out there are people we will never hear of.

Pop music (not rock) was what got a lot of airplay and won Grammys. Not what most people really listened to.

oldngray

nowhere special
Pop was on AM radio. Rock (especially album oriented) was on FM

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I think that's a good argument even if I don't fully agree with it, but what I was really responding to you was your initial statement that this past decade was "one of the greatest decades in ROCK history".

oldngray

nowhere special
I think that's a good argument even if I don't fully agree with it, but what I was really responding to you was your initial statement that this past decade was "one of the greatest decades in ROCK history".
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame has been a joke in recent years with most of the music they are calling "rock"

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
There's no denying though that generational bias will always come into play more than anything. Otherwise, bands like Greta Van Fleet would be some of the most highly acclaimed new artists.

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
There's no denying though that generational bias will always come into play more than anything. Otherwise, bands like Greta Van Fleet would be some of the most highly acclaimed new artists.

I don’t listen to much recent music but I have to admit that I definitely like this!!!