Another decade in ROCK history.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
There's no denying though that generational bias will always come into play more than anything. Otherwise, bands like Greta Van Fleet would be some of the most highly acclaimed new artists.

I think they've been pretty highly acclaimed in rock circles, Robert Plant is a big fan for starters. I don't think the lack of universal acclaim is due to generational bias so much as it is what you alluded to in an earlier post, the fact that Rock is no longer the dominant musical genre. Unless what you meant by generational bias in that young people don't listen to rock anymore, in which case I agree.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Here is another interesting article. But I believe the study applies more to casual listeners. For me the the bell curve is quite literally the inverse. In early adulthood my listening habits started to much more closely resemble what I liked when I was very young, and continued on a trajectory to where now I'm always finding new favorites. I tend not to "reminisce" too much about my younger years.

Our musical tastes peak as teens, says study

Screen_Shot_2018_02_12_at_08.15.56.png

sailfish

I had once read an interesting article that discussed a college student who had never heard the song Imagine by John Lennon but I cannot find it now. The gist of it essentially is that in due time people will forget all about bands like The Stones and their listener base will be about as prominent as 1920's big band is now and whatever is dominating popular music now is what will be considered the golden classics by the general population.

oldngray

nowhere special
I had once read an interesting article that discussed a college student who had never heard the song Imagine by John Lennon but I cannot find it now. The gist of it essentially is that in due time people will forget all about bands like The Stones and their listener base will be about as prominent as 1920's big band is now and whatever is dominating popular music now is what will be considered the golden classics by the general population.
Imagine was big for a while because it was some of Lennon's last work. As music it probably wasn't anything special but got that automatic bump after he was murdered.

sailfish

Imagine was big for a while because it was some of Lennon's last work. As music it probably wasn't anything special but got that automatic bump after he was murdered.
And this basically sums up what I like to call circumstantial greatness.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I don't think that's a very good example, as apart from not being a very good song it's not even a real Rock tune. More like a bad lullaby.

sailfish

I don't think that's a very good example, as apart from not being a very good song it's not even a real Rock tune. More like a bad lullaby.
I don't like it either. Yet lots of people still alive who pushed it to the popularity it did enjoy would probably disagree with both of us.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
There's no denying though that generational bias will always come into play more than anything. Otherwise, bands like Greta Van Fleet would be some of the most highly acclaimed new artists.

sounds exactly like AC/DC or Robert Plant.

everything comes from someone before. right now there is such a vacuum for good rock hope some band will fill the void.

I have Sirius radio and do spend time listening to the new stuff. haven't heard much to listen too.
Good music never goes out of style. I Listen to Blues, Jazz, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett , Old style Rock n Roll , Pop , Country , a little Hip-Hop, Punk,

I loved that movie with Alan Rickman about the Punk scene ....Ramones, and all the other big Punk bands in that era.

But give me The KINKS , Baaaaaabie. all of the day and all of the night.

their greatest hits playing right now at very HIGH volume.

Last edited:

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Here is another interesting article. But I believe the study applies more to casual listeners. For me the the bell curve is quite literally the inverse. In early adulthood my listening habits started to much more closely resemble what I liked when I was very young, and continued on a trajectory to where now I'm always finding new favorites. I tend not to "reminisce" too much about my younger years.

Our musical tastes peak as teens, says study

Screen_Shot_2018_02_12_at_08.15.56.png
Interesting article. When I was younger, I listened to everything except hardrock. Rap, techno, classic rock, pop, old reggae, but not hard rock.

Now, I can't stand rap or pop. All I listen to is hard rock but occasionally switch to hair or grunge. Lots of alternative bands and local stuff. Some classic rock when I can't find the other stuff I like.

Weird how things change and how some things stay the same.