Another Feeder Question Thread

HFolb23

Hello all,

Been part time driving package car for a year now. Still enjoy my job about 80% of the time so I guess it's going well. I've seen advertisements that UPS is looking for seasonal Feeder drivers in my area and recently a full time Feeder position has opened in my center. While I don't think I've got the seniority to go for it; it's sparked some questions with me.

I already have a Class A CDL with Doubles/Triples. My problem is I have no civilian experience with tractor trailer. I got my CDL on a military waiver from driving tractor trailer in the Army. Will UPS care that I have no civilian tractor trailer experience? Furthermore, uncle sams trucks are all automatics now and while I understand the concept of operating a manual transmission, I have no experience with double clutching or using a splitter. How screwed will I be come time for Feeder school if I ever get the chance?

Is Feeder school that same for everyone regardless of wether you already have a CDL or not? I know the school is a two week course but from what I've read the first week is really just buildup to get your CDL; seems alittle pointless if you already have it.

Is it true that you need to be a full time package driver for a year before you can go into feeders? Maybe that differs by local union but I figured I'd ask here first before I bug my shop steward about it.

Is there anything else you can recommend to help my chances of getting into Feeders? Im really not in any rush to leave package car, but I would like to have that goal eventually.

Thanks in advance,
HF

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Thank you for your service
Does Your cdl license have any restrictions such as automatic transmission only?
All your questions should be answered by a feeder steward or business agent. It varies by local.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Hello all,

Been part time driving package car for a year now. Still enjoy my job about 80% of the time so I guess it's going well. I've seen advertisements that UPS is looking for seasonal Feeder drivers in my area and recently a full time Feeder position has opened in my center. While I don't think I've got the seniority to go for it; it's sparked some questions with me.

I already have a Class A CDL with Doubles/Triples. My problem is I have no civilian experience with tractor trailer. I got my CDL on a military waiver from driving tractor trailer in the Army. Will UPS care that I have no civilian tractor trailer experience? Furthermore, uncle sams trucks are all automatics now and while I understand the concept of operating a manual transmission, I have no experience with double clutching or using a splitter. How screwed will I be come time for Feeder school if I ever get the chance?

Is Feeder school that same for everyone regardless of wether you already have a CDL or not? I know the school is a two week course but from what I've read the first week is really just buildup to get your CDL; seems alittle pointless if you already have it.

Is it true that you need to be a full time package driver for a year before you can go into feeders? Maybe that differs by local union but I figured I'd ask here first before I bug my shop steward about it.

Is there anything else you can recommend to help my chances of getting into Feeders? Im really not in any rush to leave package car, but I would like to have that goal eventually.

Thanks in advance,
HF
Pm @UpstateNYUPSer .. he is the resident expert on ups package and feeder operations...

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Before you even worry about half the questions you asked win a bid or get accepted to feeder school first.
Feeder school is only if you don't have a CDL A with required endorsements.
You need to have combination, air brakes, and doubles/triples.
You would be qualified to sign the bid sheet, but you would have to go through 2 weeks of qualifying with a supervisor.
This would require you to be able to drive a 10 speed with splitter.

Sign the sheet and if someone contacts you, then all your questions will be answered.

Johney

Feeder school is only if you don't have a CDL A with required endorsements.
You need to have combination, air brakes, and doubles/triples.
You would be qualified to sign the bid sheet, but you would have to go through 2 weeks of qualifying with a supervisor.
This would require you to be able to drive a 10 speed with splitter.

Sign the sheet and if someone contacts you, then all your questions will be answered.
Here you still need to attend feeder school and run your production week even if you already have a CDL A with appropriate endorsements. You just don't have to go get tested. Our feeder manager does the testing and is state approved.

rod

Retired 22 years
It used to be they wouldn’t hire a person with prior semi truck driving experience. They figured they would have too many bad habits. They wanted fresh meat to mold.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Here you still need to attend feeder school and run your production week even if you already have a CDL A with appropriate endorsements. You just don't have to go get tested. Our feeder manager does the testing and is state approved.
We may be talking about the same thing

UPS paid for a 2 week course to train me for my CDL.

Afterward, I did 2 weeks with a feeder sup.
1 productive 1 non-productive to qualify.

I may have said Feeder school, but meant CDL school. We didn't call the 2 weeks of qualifying as feeder school but can see why it'd be called that. :)

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

I may have said Feeder school, but meant CDL school. We didn't call the 2 weeks of qualifying as feeder school but can see why it'd be called that. :)

I had one week unpaid feeder school and one week paid production covering a run.

All was done with UPS feeder supervisors.

Johney

I had one week unpaid feeder school and one week paid production covering a run.

All was done with UPS feeder supervisors.
This is how it is done here too Rick. We all will use an opt 3 day for that week to cover bennnies.