Another Newbie Driver Helper question....

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Similar the OP, I had orientation this past Monday. On Tuesday, I did as instructed and confirmed my availability in the system and did a follow and introduction call to the coordinator center after not being contacted in a couple of hours.

Long story short they came up with 3 locations that were not possible, each time I said I am right off a major road that many of the trucks use to get to their route and will gladly hop on anyone going anywhere, therefore I’m not limited to a specific geographical area. They said they’d call back when they find something, just keep checking off my availability each morning.

I’ll now have coasted through the entire week never stepping in a truck. While there are many slackers out there who would be delighted to sit at home all day and get paid for it, that is not my way.

I plan to call again Monday and see what is going on. If they can’t hook up a route, can I ask to be transferred to the hub? My other half works the evening sort there which is what I initially applied for but they were full. Now she’s working later and harder because people are quitting left and right while I sit.

How come the 3 locations they gave you were not possible?

Sounds like the works there for ya, you just have to go get it

Or keep mooching off your girl

IESucks

Hello everyone and Happy Holidays!

I recently signed up for the seasonal driver helper gig (went through the hiring/orientation process, applied near the end of November this year). The day after Thanksgiving I received my first call by the coordinator asking if I could start the next Monday, I said yes no problem. This person said to call back first thing Monday morning (yesterday) around 6-7 am. (coolio bring it on!). Like any good old sucka I was in standby the phone at 5:50am, no call came in at all. I said to myself ok no biggie and went about my business the rest of the day. By chance, my next door neighbor received a UPS package and I notice that particular driver already had a helper. Today Tuesday no call again.

A couple of questions. What should I expect? Is there a waiting in line that I'm in? I don't quite remember if they told us not to call the coordinator during orientation to double check but from what I've read is one of those things that is damned if you do or damned if you don't. I'm just trying to get a wider perspective of things. Any ideas or comments are welcome.

Thanks!
They will call if they need you. End of story

IESucks

Not necessarily but if it happens, I welcome it with open arms. Also, I totally understand the whole concept of one must walk before flying.

I was just reading another thread and the OP wrote the following: "At the end of the day I feel a sense of accomplishment, a sense of being a hard worker for my money, and a sense of comradery."

I think something like this is what I'm after.
That's not UPS. Go to college

Papa-D

How come the 3 locations they gave you were not possible?

Sounds like the works there for ya, you just have to go get it

Or keep mooching off your girl

I made it clear in the interview that I will not have a vehicle to drive to meet locations. That I can do this based on being able to walk some 40 steps from my door to the main road that almost every northbound PC takes to get to its route and hop on any one of them that needs me (and yes I know I don’t get ride time).

That said:

Location 1) 13 miles away
Location 2) 7 miles away
Location 3) 5 miles away

I did my part for 17 years walking 3 miles one way, rain and warm or butt cold and snow and a 45 minute train ride and continued to provide the main income off investments after I semiretired. So, I resent the mooch assumption.

Brownnie

Question for well established/or senior drivers :raspberry-tounge:.

What could be the reason(s) of why they would be cutting the hours of a driver helper during this week/peak season? I was into thinking this week (closer to Christmas) was going to be the one with the most volume.

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Is there any reason of why the could be cutting the hours of a driver helper during this week/peak season? I was into thinking this week closer to Christmas, was going to be the one with the most volume.

Probably not worth a crap

Is there any reason of why the could be cutting the hours of a driver helper during this week/peak season? I was into thinking this week closer to Christmas, was going to be the one with the most volume.
They want to use the helpers as little as possible. Too many BS comp claims

It's unbelievable how many get "hurt"

IESucks

What could be the reason(s) of why they would be cutting the hours of a driver helper during this week/peak season? I was into thinking this week (closer to Christmas) was going to be the one with the most volume.
As always...profit

IESucks

IE says the volume isn't there to justify the hours, ofcourse they don't see the blown out trucks!

Heavy Package

Forget seasonal driver helper. It's a sham job. Apply for a part time job at UPS and start there as the real thing. Then we can laugh with you when you post - instead of laughing at you.

Brownnie

Forget seasonal driver helper. It's a sham job. Apply for a part time job at UPS and start there as the real thing. Then we can laugh with you when you post - instead of laughing at you.

I'm going out on a limb and say that you are totally correct. Driver helper is definitely not for the faint hearted. My driver is a bit abusive. I run most of the packages and when there is a stop with two addresses where we can actually split it, he usually gives me the one with the heavier/most packages and he also parks closer to his number than mine. Today, many helpers went MIA or called in sick.

Brownnie

I'm in no position to talk about this but... Can someone explain to me what exactly is a misload? I keep hearing about it, just curious :confused2: