Another Newbie Driver Helper question....

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I'm going out on a limb and say that you are totally correct. Driver helper is definitely not for the faint hearted. My driver is a bit abusive. I run most of the packages and when there is a stop with two addresses where we can actually split it, he usually gives me the one with the heavier/most packages and he also parks closer to his number than mine. Today, many helpers went MIA or called in sick.
The driver does that, not because he's a lazy A-hole, but because he should be back at the truck first to get ready to go.
I know you almost figured out the charade of seasonal driver help, but you need to just help and not analyze.

giphy.gif

Brownnie

The driver does that, not because he's a lazy A-hole, but because he should be back at the truck first to get ready to go.
I know you almost figured out the charade of seasonal driver help, but you need to just help and not analyze.
In my case it doesn't seem to make much of difference because I'm usually back first. Also out of 15 to 20 stops the driver may only help once. It gives that impression specially since helpers don't make nowhere near what a driver makes (permanent or temp).

Last edited:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
In my case it doesn't seem to make much of difference because I'm usually back first. Also out of 15 to 20 stops the driver may only help once. It gives that impression specially since helpers don't make nowhere near what a driver makes (permanent or temp).

Getting paired with a driver is a roll of the dice.
Half the time, you're going to get someone who is lazy or just miserable.
If you roll snake eyes, then you get the driver that's both LOL

AVL828

I ended up on here cause I was curious about OT pay but stumbled upon this thread, and decided to make an account just because damn OP if you don't sound like a big confused whiner. You probably aren't getting work and are getting cut more because you aren't as top notch as they need you to be.

We had 364 packages today and 211 stops, I ran at least 198 of those alone, and when I say I ran, I mean I jogged at a fast pace from the truck to the door or garage or whatever, dropped it, rang the doorbell or knocked, and ran back. I'm a 130 pound girl who is 5'5" and my driver (who is a man) will hand me a 50 pound package to run up a steep driveway because he knows I can do it and do it quick and get it done. Today was my second 10.5 hour shift of the week. Yesterday we ran 198 stops and then picked up 35 more after ours to help a fellow driver because she knew we could and we're willing to.

I'm just saying like get it together and stop complaining and overthinking and over analyzing the job. For 12.75 an hour I'll gladly take running packages and getting to bull:censored2: with my driver while I enjoy the wind from the open doors over any other seasonal job I've ever had.

Brownnie

I ended up on here cause I was curious about OT pay but stumbled upon this thread, and decided to make an account just because damn OP if you don't sound like a big confused whiner. You probably aren't getting work and are getting cut more because you aren't as top notch as they need you to be.

You are entitled to your own opinion. By the way who's saying I'm getting cut or not getting enough hours?.

We had 364 packages today and 211 stops, I ran at least 198 of those alone, and when I say I ran, I mean I jogged at a fast pace from the truck to the door or garage or whatever, dropped it, rang the doorbell or knocked, and ran back. I'm a 130 pound girl who is 5'5" and my driver (who is a man) will hand me a 50 pound package to run up a steep driveway because he knows I can do it and do it quick and get it done. Today was my second 10.5 hour shift of the week. Yesterday we ran 198 stops and then picked up 35 more after ours to help a fellow driver because she knew we could and we're willing to.

More power to you. Lifting 50Lbs or more was part of the job description so I don't know if you are implying that you are doing something exceptional or better than others. I don't know about you but my driver and I run about 230 stops or more (at least 2X or more packages each) in about 6 hrs. Mon-Fri.

For 12.75 an hour
Wow they pay you that much? :surprised: , Now I'm feeling like I'm definitely doing something wrong :wink-very:

Last edited:

AVL828

Question for well established/or senior drivers :raspberry-tounge:.

What could be the reason(s) of why they would be cutting the hours of a driver helper during this week/peak season? I was into thinking this week (closer to Christmas) was going to be the one with the most volume.

You said they were cutting your hours.

I'm just saying that you were talking about how he always gives you the heavier/most packages and parks closer to his stop than yours, but yeah I mean oh well if he does, that's your job to carry them, if you get heavy far away ones then that's that, no reason to talk about it.

My driver and I are in the boondocks for the first half of the morning so sometimes it takes 20 mins just to drive from one stop to another.

All I'm saying is it sounds like you're complaining about things that you shouldn't even be bothered by.

The Driver

I drive.

I'm just saying that you were talking about how he always gives you the heavier/most packages and parks closer to his stop than yours, but yeah I mean oh well if he does, that's your job to carry them, if you get heavy far away ones then that's that, no reason to talk about it.

My driver and I are in the boondocks for the first half of the morning so sometimes it takes 20 mins just to drive from one stop to another.

All I'm saying is it sounds like you're complaining about things that you shouldn't even be bothered by.

Stops 20 minutes apart? Holy crap

Brownnie

No, I said what could be the reasons in general. I have other friends that are driver helpers and may be having these issues. Where in that sentence do you see "Me, Myself or I" ?

It may or may not violate some of the 5 commandments for using a helper as seen here :teethy: : 5 Commandments for using a helper (On Topic)

so sometimes it takes 20 mins just to drive from one stop to another.
Even more surprises :surprised: Nice breaks.. Where do I sign up? :raspberry-tounge:

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Your way overthinking all this

Jmo

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

I'm just saying like get it together and stop complaining and overthinking and over analyzing the job. For 12.75 an hour I'll gladly take running packages and getting to bull:censored2: with my driver while I enjoy the wind from the open doors over any other seasonal job I've ever had.

I think iam in love!!

Wat up girl

Brownnie

When does the driver helper position usually ends at your hub?... I have been asked to work one more week which is perfectly fine just curious.

Brownnie

It's a bit weird. One of my friends (also a helper) this past Friday was his last day. Does it depends on the route/volume too I suppose?

Amerigirl

Drive safe and look twice...always! Slow down.
They stopped the cart drivers here today... after I drove all the way to the container to find my cart was still broke down from last Friday.
I am glad I am off the golf cart. That was twice that the carts broke down. I am not sure if they will call me to help in a PC or not. I told them I would if needed. I liked the cart, when everything went smooth. I didn't like it when the addresses and sequence numbers were all out of order on the DIAD, or I go back to get another load and more packages from areas I had already delivered to were taken to the pod. I didn't like it when my cart was covered up by packages while in the container, and I had to unload them all, and sort them to get my cart out, and reload my cart and trailer and get started late. I didn't like driving the cart after dark with no tail lights or reflectors on the trailer either. Yeah... I'm b-tchin. I have that right! I survived Peak and all the BS that was dealt. Carry on! Go forth and conquer! I am!:clap::clap::clap:

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Thanks!
Since there is no uniform (vest only) . I'm not too sure about the pants. Are cargo ok?
I worked as a helper two days last week. Felt naughty wearing blue jeans after 30+ years delivering in brown pants. Had it been a little warmer I would have worn a Hawaiian shirt to complete the uniform.