Another retro check thread

Zenkenite

I'm one of the unfortunates that was overpaid... is what it is and it sucks but my concern is this... I paid taxes on what I have to pay back, and I owe them back quite a bit... so it was a lot of tax money paid. I haven't had anything taken from my check yet (just signed the paper yesterday) but I'm hoping it is deducted from the gross pay... otherwise I'll be paying taxes twice on money that they say isn't mine. I don't trust them to alter the income they have claimed to pay me on my W-2 after this correction to be the correct amount. I mean come on, look at how much they screwed up already. And if it does get taxed again and the W2 is correct, I have to wait for a tax return to get the tax money back... so I basically have to wait almost 2 years for my retro pay. After what they want back, I only got about $100 in my pocket (because of being out the overpaid tax money) from the retro... so this sucks.

Bottom rung

I'm one of the unfortunates that was overpaid... is what it is and it sucks but my concern is this... I paid taxes on what I have to pay back, and I owe them back quite a bit... so it was a lot of tax money paid. I haven't had anything taken from my check yet (just signed the paper yesterday) but I'm hoping it is deducted from the gross pay... otherwise I'll be paying taxes twice on money that they say isn't mine. I don't trust them to alter the income they have claimed to pay me on my W-2 after this correction to be the correct amount. I mean come on, look at how much they screwed up already. And if it does get taxed again and the W2 is correct, I have to wait for a tax return to get the tax money back... so I basically have to wait almost 2 years for my retro pay. After what they want back, I only got about $100 in my pocket (because of being out the overpaid tax money) from the retro... so this sucks.
I was overpaid also, they say they will adjust tax withheld from the next few pay periods to even out what you've paid already. If you know an accountant I highly suggest speaking with them regarding this matter as I firmly believe the payroll dept. is incompetent. I haven't signed anything yet. There are guys who have to pay back more than they took home. they got a check for 1300 gross took home 900 and were only supposed to get $100 before taxes. They could just have the employees pay back the net. The company could get the money back from the feds and state as it's in the current tax year. Then re-issue the check....But that's too much work according to our center manager. Like I said. Contact an accountant. I'm positive they'll screw this up also.

Zenkenite

It's very frustrating... and unfair as they should have had their act together... It's a big deal to be out a few hundred for someone like me who works 3 jobs and still struggles to make ends meet. Thanks a lot UPS.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
They can go to court, and then tack on court fees to what they owe.
I'm not saying the company isn't entitled to be repaid in a reasonable period of time--just that it is illegal in most states to just suck the money out without permission. If someone decides to refuse to repay the overpayment and the company has to file suit in civil court then yes the court can order legal fees if the company is successful and they likely would be.

laffter

Regarding the scan I posted in this thread, my "owed" amount was Gross, not Net- according to my shift manager. When it comes to reality... I guess I'll see what happens.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Im inclined to agree. UPS wants every single dime due them. Now they trip over dollars to get to dimes every day but when an employee is overpaid all bets are off. They eventually get their money back one way or another. When they handed out the overpayment sheets the other week there was a driver in our center overpaid by $1.86 and that is not a typo. UPS came a calling for that pocket change.

They overpaid me $0.32. Yes, that is 32 cents. I am waiting for them to ask for it back. I will let them have it back, in 32 installments.

Zenkenite

Regarding the scan I posted in this thread, my "owed" amount was Gross, not Net- according to my shift manager. When it comes to reality... I guess I'll see what happens.
My owed amount is gross too... I talked to my union guy today about it... we will be going over some things in the next few days. I am concerned about how the taxes I paid on money that's "not mine" will be handled. I'm out over $250 in taxes... so I don't think I'm being silly being worried about that.

UPS4Life

As I don't have much more info than what's posted I too am having issues and will give feedback as I find anything out. Glad I'm not the only one refusing to sign until I get a better explanation as I was suggested to do so by both parties because sadly mine isn't for $.38. So clearly somebody dropped the ball here, do you think anything will happen to them or are we just getting shafted

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My owed amount is gross too... I talked to my union guy today about it... we will be going over some things in the next few days. I am concerned about how the taxes I paid on money that's "not mine" will be handled. I'm out over $250 in taxes... so I don't think I'm being silly being worried about that.

You have not actually paid any taxes just yet. Kae3106, who is our resident payroll expert, has already posted that payroll will be making the proper adjustments to your YTD taxes before the quarter is over.

Zenkenite

You have not actually paid any taxes just yet. Kae3106, who is our resident payroll expert, has already posted that payroll will be making the proper adjustments to your YTD taxes before the quarter is over.
ok, so how will it work that I should have taken home over $400 (after taxes), but after paying this overpayment back, I'll have less than $200 in my pocket... someone, somewhere, has the rest of my money.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Why would you?
1341804404073_3956244-1.png