Any advice for improving my preload. On topic please.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Their expectations are unrealistic, and the more you do, the more they want. They need fresh meat so don't sweat it.

Overpaid Union Thug

We can call a truce on this because there are already plenty of good resources for finding a loading method that works
I would suggest looking at old posts by @jumpman23 and @Big Arrow Down...D since they both have made really good posts in the past relating to organized preload methods.

TL;DR the HIN system is kinda screwed up and you will never find a good compromise between sequence order and shelf density.

It’s no coincidence that preloaders drastically improve their load quality once an experienced driver shows them tips and tricks. Mine are simple.

Don’t waste space on the shelves.
Don’t wallpaper packages along the sides.
Labels out or forward.
Consider whether or not a box will fall once the truck turns.
And know what the bulk stops are.

Our center prints out those charts that has a list of the bulk stops at the bottom. I always tell my loader it’s ok to put those in RDR or RDL if they have to instead of stuffing them in the truck somewhere. If I don’t tell them then UPS methods will have them struggling to load around them on the shelf or floor. UPS’s way of “training” people is setting people up for failure.

KOG72

I’m full of it
New people usually get stuck on the crappy loads,once they hire somebody else you will probably get moved.

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
Dont not get caught up in PT Sup #s unless you are interested in management. Know and follow the methods. Work at a consistent and safe pace. Only fireable offenses going right now is physical altercations, not using Preload SmartScan, and being late to work.

KoennenTiger

It’s no coincidence that preloaders drastically improve their load quality once an experienced driver shows them tips and tricks. Mine are simple.

Don’t waste space on the shelves.
Labels out or forward.
Consider whether or not a box will fall once the truck turns.
And know what the bulk stops are.

Our center prints out those charts that has a list of the bulk stops at the bottom. I always tell my loader it’s ok to put those in RDR or RDL if they have to instead of stuffing them in the truck somewhere. If I don’t tell them then UPS methods will have them struggling to load around them on the shelf or floor. UPS’s way of “training” people is setting people up for failure.

I would like to emphasize this one right here:

This is horrible for a driver because we'll just have to pull the shelves down to try to find the one small Amazon package that fit so well in the morning before you buried it behind all the huge stuff.

Also try not to put anything behind other boxes unless the box in front has the exact same HIN or it is very very close.

And if you are one of the preloaders who don't misload I'll forgive so so much.

BiggieBrown

When I come in the truck in the morning and see the preloader struggling the first thing I do is tell them to watch as I instantly create lots of extra room by simply choosing the biggest boxes on the shelves and dropping them into spaces on the floor. It’s not rocket science. The look on their faces is always priceless.

Wow what a great tip!
Put big :censored2: on the floor!
Who would have thought of that??? I guess that's why you make the big bucks.

Yeah that must work really well if you're driving a cupcake route with 130 packages.
I'd love to see you come fix up my trucks when the floors are so blown out with oversized bull:censored2: mattresses trampolines and grills that you couldn't put a freaking paperback novel on the floor if you wanted to.

A

Article 3

Wow what a great tip!

Yeah that must work really well if you're driving a cupcake route with 130 packages.
I'd love to see you come fix up my trucks when the floors are so blown out with oversized bull:censored2: mattresses trampolines and grills that you couldn't put a freaking paperback novel on the floor if you wanted to.
Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't but for a newbie asking for help it works over 50% of the time.
Blown metro routes are a challenge most every day.
Any tips to the op are helpful even if we can't see his/her set volume thru this forum.

Overpaid Union Thug

Wow what a great tip!

I’ve turned plenty of preloaders into decent/awesome loaders by showing them these tricks. Days where the trucks ACTUALLY are overwhelmed with irregs are less stressful for them because they tend to use common sense and do their best to load them logically rather than wet their panties as they sulk and toss them wildly into the truck. The ones with smart assed malcontent attitudes such as yours never listen and typically quit eventually. Good riddance.

I would like to emphasize this one right here:

This is horrible for a driver because we'll just have to pull the shelves down to try to find the one small Amazon package that fit so well in the morning before you buried it behind all the huge stuff.

Also try not to put anything behind other boxes unless the box in front has the exact same HIN or it is very very close.

And if you are one of the preloaders who don't misload I'll forgive so so much.

I tell loaders to make it like a book shelf. Labels facing bulk head, out, or up. Wallpapering is stupid but management here trains loaders to do it.

:censored2: doesn’t have to be in perfect order. Just DON’T MISLOAD. We sort the truck several times during the day anyways.

If your shelves fill up and you have to start putting smaller boxes in floor spots. Just try to keep all the 3000s, 4000s, etc together.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Just develop good handwriting, take a peek at the physical address labels and line your stops up for now because it will accelerate your understanding of what you are handling a lot faster.

As a general rule of thumb, if it does not fit nicely into the shelf or floor like any other box, stack it out against the back of the package car. No need to trip over things or smash your face into things sticking out of the shelves.

Play a game with whatever you stacked out at the end of the day. The ones that look residential in nature need to get out of sight aka stuff them into the shelves diagonally or bury them under the shelves or off to the side and out of the way. The ones that look like businesses can then block the middle floor.
Stacking out is stupid