any advice for new cover driver?

D

dannyboy

Tia

WHat tie guy was refering to are customers that sign for packages, then typing in their name, and where the package was left, ie dock office etc. Some drivers have their customers do that but I find that the customer can not type in as fast as I and I do it while walking back to the truck. So for me it does not save any time.

As to your package not showing any movement. There are several possabilities. One is that QVC put it on a pallet for another carrier. That happens quite often. Atleast 3 days a week I go by the FDX ground office and pick up some of our packages that were mixed in with theirs, and on my way home at times I drop off Airborne and FDX air that are in our system. Another one is that they show it being processed that day, but it has never left their warehouse. Or it could have had the lable torn off, or any number of things could have happened.

AS to the MC woman, rule of thumb is that you either must hand it to a woman, or have one get it from where you left it before you leave. You MUST have had customer contact before you can use MC of any kind. Either as you leave the package or you see them pick it up where you left it. Other wise it would be a front porch, car port etc.

As to having codes, I have close to 30 for my route, and several are high security areas, such as airports chemical companies etc. Your driver should be more than able to help you come up with a solution that works for the both of you. I had one called Breast feeding Essentials. (I know, I can only think of one) They get any where from 5-30 packages in a day. For almost 6 months they had us put them on the front porch. One day I had 40, and asked the lady if there was a better place for me to leave them. She said "well, my husband has to move them down to the garage". Bingo. I just asked if it would not be better if I put them in the garage in the first place, and that is what we do now. It has worked much better, easier for me, much easier for her husband, and no way a package is going to get stolen. All the way around a win win situation!

Ask for input from your driver, he can help in your needs!

d

U

upsr

dannyboy, So you mean they just type in there last name on the same DIAD the UPS guy has w/him always, not that there's another one they have to save time. So it's basically like a really big Palm Pilot! I have one but don't use it...I got it for free from the Infiniti test drive awhile back, just didn't have time to figure it out, but I know of all the different programs people use for it especially I think it's called Handy List, Handy Shopper something to make lists it's a free downloadable program. I plan on using to make my grocery checklist it also totals your order too!

I'll see if I can talk to the
pkgcartiny.gif
driver I told you he's always nervous because they're watching him...so usually I'll go to the
pkgcartiny.gif
get my pkg.'s & forget to ask my questions cause he's in a hurry!

That's alot of pkg.'s @ one time for the Breast feeding Essentials. I would of thought of a better place to put them too! I think my garage would probably be the best place too! So if I give out the key to my UPS guy & the code to the alarm it wouldn't be a problem for him
pkgcartiny.gif
delivering my pkg.'s there!

That's a good question where my pkg. is
sleeping.gif
maybe since it's a fragile pkg. needs special care so it's all by itself! It could of gotten left out & still sitting in the warehouse.

I called QVC yesterday C.S. Rep. said they'd trace it & most likely it may have shipped but no tracking available on it! So like you said the label could have fallen off & it doesn't know where to go so it's lost or got put on the wrong
pkgcartiny.gif
truck heading elsewhere!

UPS Understanding Personalized Situations!

UPS guys are very understanding about where you'd like your pkg.'s delivered to, it's more of a personalized delivery then just drop & run because of a situation if the pkg.'s location isn't right for you!
happy.gif

You are allowed to make up your own set of coding too! WOW!....How kewl is that! That is a handy dandy gadget the DIAD! Now if only you could go surfing online w/it @ lunchtime!

I'll have to think of a few codes besides the garage. Are you allowed to input customer info to save it for
pkgcartiny.gif
pick-up/delivery info just based on the route? Like Name, Address, Telephone/Cellphone #'s (not that you can call without having a cell phone on the
pkgcartiny.gif
) Location to leave pkg.'s or just special requests info. or does the customer info only show up if there's a
pkgcartiny.gif
pick-up/delivery to be made? I don't want to sound tooo crazy but it would make sense instead of typing & re-typing info that's used quite often.

I'll let ya know if I get my pkg.!

Have A Great Day!
icon45.gif

TIA!
icon604.gif

D

dannyboy

YEs there is a place for personal information on each stop. Likeon delivery stops where the customer wants them left at certain places, or on pickup accounts the area where the packages will be, phone numbers, contact person etc is all entered in the board. There is even a place for a note on special conditions like biting dogs, to warn other drivers of the problem.

Entering the area where left is easy, you just pick the number or letter that fits where you left the package. Like MC woman is shift button 2, Carport is big arrow down A. So it is not really that hard to do once your fingers get to know their way around the board.

d

U

upsr

dannyboy, I guess for my address then in the special conditions note field it must say MCWOMAN meets driver @
pkgcartiny.gif
LOL!
clapbounce.gif
since I go get my pkg.'s when I hear the
pkgcartiny.gif
& my dogs go crazy barking....so I escape all that noise inside!
happy.gif
To see my UPS guy bringing me all my goodies I ordered! Yep... I'm happy to see him. He puts a
happy.gif
smile on my face & makes me laugh! Teasing me about all the stuff I buy on QVC! One-day I had to leave before the
pkgcartiny.gif
showed up so I left a note taped to the front door w/my cell phone # just incase any problems delivering if I needed to sign for something I was still in the neighborhood...but I forgot to think not everyone has a cell phone...so he can't call me & then I also feel kinda stupid now he's probably wondering why I left my cell # do I want him to personally call me to go out or something like that & maybe that's why I left my # not that it was just for my pkg.'s! Do you think this is why he's always nervous around me? I'm afraid to ask him any questions, thinking he'll get the wrong idea. Maybe it's listed on my acct. for future reference! Since I signed up for UPS tracking by wireless phone I thought the tracking # could be scanned by the driver & then I'd know if he left my package or @ least attempted a delivery. I didn't know I have to call from my cell # to give the Z# then get my reply from UPS! My pkg. got left between my 2 front doors & on the website it said FS does this mean Front Steps cause then later it got changed to BHND FD which probably means behind front door right!

TIA!

D

dannyboy

Tia, Steam is correct, we derailed the thread. But I will try and pull it back together.

I never show a package left at front door unless i can place it between the screen door and the main door. In all other cases it would be porch.

Let me see, bringing it back on thread. I had an entry on one stop that got packages at least 2-4 times a week. She would hear me coming down the road for blocks, and be waiting for the delivery, much like Tia, but minus the clothes. Made a sport of it to see what kind of reaction she would get. I had them put that info on the diad so that the cover drivers would know not to let on like there was anything different at her stop.

d

F

feederdryver

Here's some better advice..

Skip packages and the cover thing all together..and just go out and get your CDL..then you can cover runs while in the Feeder dept.
Of course... you won't be called in to cover anything anytime soon, since your the new bottom guy..then you'll be considered laid off and you can go back to the HUB and be the bottom guy in there too...(yes even if you have 20 years already as a part timer) How does that sound?????????
.....WhoooooHoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

U

upsr

dannyboy,
happy.gif
Well pkg. placement between the screen door & main door is considered FRONT DOOR! Then why do they list BHND FD on the website when leaving it in the same place? This doesn't mean Behind Front Door!

What does FS stand for?

I guess that lady probably thought differently after getting no real response from the cover drivers! I wouldn't do that....I'm embarassed enough just getting the door in my PJ's for some of my morning "surprise" deliveries....wouldn't want the driver to get the wrong picture of me or they may totaly "freak out" then I'd be really missing my pkg.'s getting no deliveries @ all!

I guess the customers never know what "top secret info" is stored in each DIAD per route! It can be amazing.

Storing an alarm code wouldn't be a problem then cause the cover driver will also be able to view it!

The DIAD & the
pkgcartiny.gif
go together per route but the driver's can be different or do they both change accordingly?

TIA!
icon604.gif

S

steelheader69

Hey Feeder, wish it was that easy. We are all but embargoed from going into feeders in our center. Only 6 in last 20 years have been pulled, and now they've pretty much have made it impossible due impart by main feeder division being in one union local and our center in another. In fact we have 3 guys who have CDL's who have such low seniority they will never see feeder until time to retire. I have 15 years in, and have virtually no chance of going in (last guy who made it in had 26 years in w/company to get the spot). But I digress, most of our feeder drivers who retire have over 35-40 years of service in. They won't give them up anyways.

Now, onto upsr. Alot of times it's the call of the UPS'er in question how they code things out. In our division, we are NOT supposed to put ANYTHING into the screendoor, UNLESS it will close on it's own safely. Long story, won't go into it. But I myself will put denote screen door if in screen door (usually a letter). I use DR porch for most. I ONLY use DRFD (front door) if I'm actually leaving it at front door. That is the VERY rare occasion where the homeowners have no front porch, a small entry way big enough for packages, and unviewable from street due to some sort of bush/tree/etc. Like others on here, I started out on paper (I was the last driver in my center to be hired before they switched over to the DIAD). So I was used to DRMCM, DRMCW, DRMCB, DRMCG, DRFD, DRSD (which is DR side door), and etc etc.

F

feeder

Stelleheader! Its funny how other centers and hubs arounds country have their hard to get feeder driver jobs, but in my bldg, no fulltimer would sign the qualified list so now they are training part-timers for the qualifed list positions for feeders..

U

upsr

steelheader69
happy.gif
Wow! You still did it the old way back then! I remember the clipboard paper I had to sign years ago.....but now I never get to sign anything so I really don't know what the DIAD really looks like close-up just a view of it while the driver's holding it. I call it his clipboard PC! Since it's a handy dandy gadget!

What type of items can't be left w/o a signature? Just wondering if there was any!

Those are good codes you set up before the DIAD! I could figure them out!
biggrin.gif

TIA
icon604.gif

F

feederdryver

"But I digress, most of our feeder drivers who retire have over 35-40 years of service in. They won't give them up anyways."

Yes Steel.. that is a sad sad thing isn't it?
In my Hub..we have begun re-constructing half of our customer service counter to an "in-hub morgue". This way, when they kick over, we can preserve the bodies for their families more cost-efficiently until the coroner arrives. heh

F

fups

well i got about 20 or so days in so far...... its tough too... never thought it would be this hard.... hell i've always seen drivers packed in eating lunch everyday thinking... dang they don't do nothing,, man was i wrong. running about 95 stops a day, lots of bulkstops, picking up about 200 to 300 packages a day... no under yet...getting close...... and no lunch , man does that suck,,

waiting to see what happens after my 30 days is up.... Peace

F

feederdude

fups,
Hang in there, you'll do fine. Keep in mind that when you do get to running scratch, and after you are qualified, that you will need to take a lunch break. As you become more efficient, make your meal time a part of your routine. This is critical to your long term success. Taking a rest period will help you avoid injuries throughout your employement.
Good luck,
Feederdude

L

lifer

fups hang in there brother---it'll get easier.

just try to get a little better at methods every day and a little better area knowledge. spend as little time in the back of your truck as possible.

good luck.

D

dannyboy

As others have said, it will get better. You will become smooth in your methods, and things will become 2nd nature. Once you learn its not how hard you work, it how you do the job that makes the job hard. You will get there. The only ones that dont are the ones that dont want to!

d

T

tieguy

Hang in there Fups , methods and area knowledge will make it easier. I stunk it up pretty good for the first twenty days and then it seemed like everything started to fall in place.

R

rushfan

Most important item-Know where the bathrooms are on the route.

F

feederdryver

Fups-

"You must become one with the brown force"

"Try? there is no try..just Dooooooooo"

- the Brown Yoda

F

fups

oh yeah..... its coming. 4 over the other day...almost.

As for bathrooms... i hear ya brother, you gotta know where they are and you better use them too.