Any drivers here been covering for over 10 years without a route?

barnyard

KTM rider
I have been covering for 13 years. There is 1 person with more seniority than me on the extra board. He has routes that he does and while I know them, I hardly ever do them. Usually on Thursdays, a supe PMs me the route choices for the next week and I pick from there.

Both me and the guy higher than I are also feeder qualified, so he does any feeder work if it is available. I work feeders if there are 2 feeders on vacation at the same time. Pretty sure I am done working feeders for this year.

And I am on the extra board by choice. There are at least 4 guys with less seniority than I that have routes. 1 of them I should have bid on, but there was 1 stop that I knew would be a problem for me, so I declined.

I have met a guy in another building that has been unassigned for over 20 years. He said that he will retire unassigned. I probably will too.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
I have been covering for 13 years. There is 1 person with more seniority than me on the extra board. He has routes that he does and while I know them, I hardly ever do them. Usually on Thursdays, a supe PMs me the route choices for the next week and I pick from there.

Both me and the guy higher than I are also feeder qualified, so he does any feeder work if it is available. I work feeders if there are 2 feeders on vacation at the same time. Pretty sure I am done working feeders for this year.

Was never able to bid ( as a swing driver ) on an open route because of the bid driver being on vacation. It was go where they send you, and often a different route each day. Once in a while you could catch a good route for a week.

I couldn't do it now; wouldn't do it now.

barnyard

KTM rider
I signed a bid for a route a month ago and another driver won the bid. At 1st I was kind of bummed, but now that I have been on 4 other routes, I am liking being on the extra board again. There are 3 routes that I am pretty much the only guy that covers. For them, I am as much the regular guy as the regular guy.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I planned to stay cover for life but actually got bumped out of cover believe it or not. I could have bid cover in 2 other centers or bid a few different routes. I picked a crappy route then made it good aside from the ghetto. Brought it from 140 stops to 95, got on the 9.5 list, etc. I might go back to cover next bid to get back in the woods in a few months but may stay on this city route.

FilingBluesFL

I'd bid a route, but there's always THAT ONE PERSON that just friend's it up.

So instead of seeing that same person for years and years, I only have to see them every once in a while, which makes them tolerable.

11 years as a cover so far