Any end to these long hours??

U

ups_gal_710

Dannyboy,

My question for you is did your sups ever think of D.O.T. laws??? You could have lost your job plus those sups who made you stay out on the road for that may hours... It is our place to know how many hours on road we can have in a day and a week. If we run out of time by DOT rules you have to call your sup and have them come get you and the truck. Hang in there

A

antimatter

ups_gal_710,

They only learn the hard way so....fire away! I'm 5 for 5 this year in the grievance catagory. Can't wait for the next one! I love the FREE money!

"Feeders darling. My sincerest best wishes. Its a shame it may take a grievance to fix it."

Tie, No Kidding! Feeder? I'm surprised! I expected you to be an on-road sup. I bet you're a dispatcher.

What region? We may have met.

A

T

tieguy

Atlantic. I'm guessing you live close to me. Such refined sarcasm would be wasted on the west coast?

D

dannyboy

No I didnt have to be at work the next day, it was on a friday. Look a bit closer to DOT regulations. You would be suprised as to how many loopholes there are for the job we perform. Just like OT. UPS would not have to pay us OT if it were not in the contract. Period. And the hours worked mostly apply to OTR drivers, there are many loopholes allowing local delivery drivers to work much longer hours. I have spoken with the DOT several times and even they admit that the laws are full of holes. All they do is enforce them, not write them.

Actually on that day I even skipped my lunch so I could done out that night because of our aniversary, and my wife and inlaws were at the center to pick me up. But since I was at that time the least senior driver in the building that was still on the clock.....

About the only way management would ever get into trouble is if they talked a driver working long hours to falsify their timecard.

By the way, you work as instructed, right or wrong, then file or do whatever to straighten out the problem. Of course things have changed in the last 20-25 years.

d

(Message edited by dannyboy on September 12, 2003)

T

toonertoo

Good points, I actually asked 3 supervisors what time I had to be off the clock one very late night, because I honestly did not know, and still dont, because they didnt.

D

deliver_man

DOT regs state you must have at least 8 hours off duty between shifts, so if your start time is 0830, you must clock out no later than 0030 that morning. I believe the regs also state that you cannot be on duty for more than 15 hours without an 8 hour break, but I'm not positive on that one.

D

dannyboy

Del man

You are correct on that one. Problem is that pertains to feeder drivers and not "delivery people" There are all sorts of loopholes that apply to us. Im just glad that the company and union have tried to address the problem formally. I know in several areas they work the drivers as long as possible every day, whereas in other areas they work with the drivers to get them in the 8.5-9.5 range. Maybe someday all UPS delivery drivers can have a life outside of UPS. I know the only reason I do now is because I am #1 in seniority, so I can choose the days off I need and want.......well ususally.

d

D

dammor

Where I work here in Texas no driver is every allowed to work over 12 hours. It has always been my understanding that that was a DOT law.
Those of you that are working over 12 need to do some research and and find out what the laws are there. I'll bet they are the same. As far as missing a delivery, when we have misloads, which is most days, and can't take care of it we are instructed to call the center. Sometimes they will take care of it, sometimes it's impossible. Missing a pickup is much worse. If you're in a bind and let the center know here they will get out there and do it themselves if no one else can. Point is, someone has to get it done. Sounds to me like some divisions have better management than others. I also think some centers have employees that know and respect each other and are willing to work together.
That makes a huge difference. If you ever have the opportunity to bid on an extended route take it. Especially if the others in that extended area are of the same mind set. It's amazing what you can get done if everyone cares.

R

rushfan

I worked 55 hours this week. Volume is up. 5 days planned day over 10 hours. Stop count is up. Used to be that preloaders were accountable for stop counts. Not any more. No one knows (or pretends to know) what the stop counts should be on each route.

All I know is I'm laughing to the bank, and people don't like when i'm over 9.5

P

proups

DOT Regs: 8 hours off between duty; no more than 12 straight hours, including non-driving work, in one day; and no more than 60 hours, including non-driving work, in a seven day period.

This applies to all drivers, not just feeder drivers.

T

tieguy

There has been some debate about the hours issue with delivery drivers. UPS applies the DOT requirements to delivery drivers but many believe it really does not apply since most delivery drivers do not drive more than 150 miles from the building.

T

tieguy

No more than 10 hours of driving in a day.
No more than 15 hours on duty.
No more than 60 in a 7 day week.
8 hours off duty soon to be upped to 10?

K

kidlogic

Those DOT rules dont apply to UPS drivers that deliver in a 100 air mile radius of their center. That is per the DOT not UPS.

P

proups

Kid - ask your Sup if they apply. You'll be told they do. UPS does this to protect you and the company. It is also your responsibility as a driver to keep up with your hours, and warn your Sup if you get close to violating (hey - might get out of some overtime!)

What do you think would happen if a UPS driver in any size vehicle got into an serious accident? The DOT may not ask, but the police will ask about the hours of service in their investigation.

L

local804

I know the 60 hour work week applies for sure and is enforced bigtime in my district.I really dont believe that the 10 hour one does too.There are plenty of guys that work well over 10 hours a day(excluding work and am,pm times).I dont think UPS would break it as often if it were a regulation.

T

tieguy

While there has some debate about whether the DOT rules apply to package drivers within x amount of miles of their building , UPS has chosen to apply those rules to all drivers therefore they do apply.

8up

the ERI has started, doesn't anyone in mgmt see the survey results on the Browncafe home page? in our center it will be hard to top last years 80% favorable while we are loading up cars to make the stops per car #. drivers figure with all the extra hours we might make 30%. this past year saw no ERI committee or any money spent to keep the driver group upbeat and positive. this years #'s shouldn't, although they might, come as a suprise to mgmt. fight fatigue, fight for under 9.5 dispatch.

L

local804

8up,
If there are numbers involved with the suits,they can be fudged and I am sure they will be.I can bet your center will be close to 80%.They will just have 60% percent participate,(goal is 90 i think) and the suits will do the rest of the surveys themselves. I wouldnt be too surprised.

K

kidlogic

There is no debate. I got this of the fedral DOT website https://web.archive.org/web/20031005131741/http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/Foia/Index.htm Does the driving time for 100 air mile radius exception drivers (require no log book) increase to 11 hours or is it kept at its current limitation of 10 hours driving?
A property-carrying driver using the 100 air mile radius exception is subject to the 11-hour driving time, 12-hour on-duty time, and 10-hour off-duty time requirements of the new rule. However, a passenger-carrying driver using the 100 air mile radius exception is subject to the 10-hour driving time, 12-hour on-duty time, and 8-hour off-duty time requirement of the old rule.
Given the fact that I have been working at least 53 hours a week for the last three months. Rushfan posted on this thread he worked 55 hours this week. If UPS was trying to keep everyone under Ten then how do you explain me and Rush. It's not like we had a one day blown stop count.
If your wrong then just admit to it and move on.

T

toonertoo

I think the ERI is meant to be a good thing, I think they want to fix things and improve the work environment. But I feel the way it is presently worded, it is redundant. If there is one bad mgmt person and 20 good, how do you rate managment, when they are rated as a whole. Even though we are driver groups, we are still evaluated separately. When you get a great truck 4 days and a bad one once a week, how can you rate the fleet? Why cant it have a place for added written comments, such as send the p500's to the boneyard, lower the steps on the p800's , or the handrail so you dont yank your shoulder out of its socket trying to use it? I feel that would solve the problems that need to be solved, although it would involve people and not machines to read the results. I dont feel it is fair to the mechanics to rate them on how they maintain vehicles, when they are doing everything in their power to try to keep some of the relics running. So if you say the maintenance is excellent, then there are no problems,So UPS thinks everything is fine with the vehicles. If you say maintenance is bad, it reflects they are doing a bad job, not that some of the equipment should be removed because of its age. For that reason I just dont participate. JMHO