Any end to these long hours??

T

tieguy

I'm sorry kid I forgot your probably not that well versed on dot language. the 10 hours applys to actual time spent driving. The 15 hours applys to your total day. the 60 hours applys to the 7 day period. Your right your not required to carry a log book but then neither is the feeder driver with Ivis or the Feeder smart card. I don't think the package center has a means to document actual drive time up to 10 hours since the package driver is in and out of the car so much. The package driver should be working under the 60 hours in 7 day rule.

E

ezrider

How many of you posting on here have sat down face to face with the sups to discuss the dispatch concerns?I ask this only because I hear a few drivers I work with that voice displeasure to each other about it but never take it up with management.I only know how it is in the 3 or 4 buildings I've been in,but I do know that the sups I work with don't have the choice of how many loads are sent out.There have been numerous times when cars have been broken after already loaded by the preload due to drivers calling in sick or someone way higher up told the building sups to cut loads.It's very frustrating to an oncar-sup and a center manager to be handed that scenario with less than an hour before drivers are scheduled to leave the building.What they are left with is not many inviting alternatives.They can try to take some of the overflow themselves,but inevitably there will be the one driver who darn well never wanted any extra work to begin with that will file a grievance against the sup for performing union work.What my sups are usually left with is to go to the guys that have a track record of handling the heavy dispatch.The last thing my bosses want to do is risk alienating the most proven performers and they hate it coming to that point,but sometimes to get half the tasks that they have to get done in a day without having to go on/road themselves is to take the path of least resistance.Higher dispatches were here for a good deal of the summer and there was a real spike in July right around the time many of those year long contracts that many shippers signed with FedEx ran out,but once the vacations peaked there have been more loads built.Has there been a pattern over the years at certain times or is this the 1st dose of the heavy dispatches for any of you?Some of the start times I'm reading in these posts are just pathetic.Where I am,if you are really heavy they will many times let you get on the road as soon as the car is loaded,at least.

K

kidlogic

I didnt violate any rules because if you read my post a driver can drive for 11 hours not ten in a 12 hour period. Your wrong again!!!!Goto the link I left and see for yourself. We are not feeder drivers. Your not very well versed in package car DOT laws.

K

kidlogic

Ezrider...well there maybe instances that cause problems like you have stated. Given I have worked over 50 hours a week for 3 months I find it hard to believe what you have stated happened every day .

T

tieguy

Kid , your so far off base I figure your purposely trying to sound screwed up? I'd like to tell you your right again but that would mean you would first have to right at least one time.

D

deliver_man

Kid:
Tie works in feeders. Whether you like him or not is irrelevant. His position with the company makes it a necessity that he be well versed in DOT regulations.

E

ezrider

Kidlogic I was there too,not so much in the summer but just after the start of the new year.In February I had an average 11 to 12 hour a day load,sometimes 13 and 14,on a strictly residential no bussiness pickup route and getting an earfull for not particpating in the sales lead program.There were drivers who had thier kids calling them on thier cellphone crying because for the umpteenth straight nite they wouldn't be able to stay up late enough to see mom or dad.Kid how do you find the time to get these sales leads with the workload your pulling and that pitiful 910am starting time anyway?I'm telling you that would just put me over the edge.

E

ezrider

Kidlogic there's alot of guys on vacation in the summertime in my center.It's not uncommon to have high seniority guys with 7 weeks of vacation to be gone most of June,July and August.No new hires in my building essentially equates to squeezed staffing which means more volume for each car.All I'm saying is that it's typical for my building every summer for younger,and sometimes cheaper,drivers to expect long hot summers since nobody is going to get hired and trained for what management looks at as a temporary shortage of drivers until peak vacations die down after August.Now that I think about it I can't remember the last time I saw a "fresh brownie" get hired here in years.

D

dammor

ezrider, Hell yes we talk to the sups here about the dispatch face to face. Your post is accurate though about what comes down on them every morning. The God that lives 600 or miles away will call them and tell them to cut a run and all of a sudden more volume comes down the belt and we are all screwed. I think the local sups here do the best they can considering they have little say in the matter. It's frustrating for all...........

K

kidlogic

If you goto the U. S. Dept of Transportation website under the heading of Federal Motor Carrier Saftey Administration or click this link http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov Now click on frequently asked questions. Now goto question asked number 16 you will find that I was right.

K

kidlogic

Ezrider I turn in sales leads and I co_chair saftey with all the hours I work because I never want to be part of the problem. I dont view UPS as a giant that cant be beaten. Too many people believe that. Just doing my part to protect my own future.

T

tieguy

Deliver man - "Kid:
Tie works in feeders. Whether you like him or not is irrelevant. His position with the company makes it a necessity that he be well versed in DOT regulations."

The Kid - "If you goto the U. S. Dept of Transportation website under the heading of Federal Motor Carrier Saftey Administration or click this link "

Perhaps now some of you will see why I get so irritated with the kid. My feeder department actually went through a full blown Corporate feeder audit this year. Our DOT hours of service information is audited extensively. My department got the second highest score in the country for the past two years. And yet the kid who has absolutely no knowledge or experience with the issue has decided he is now the reigning expert on DOT hours. I'm sorry Kid your actions on this issue shows you lack any integrity with this issue and raises serious questions as whether you have ever been truthfull about any issue you've raised here. I'm done with you. bese me cula.

K

kidlogic

The reason Tie is so mad is because the question was for packagecar drivers not feeder drivers. When he went to the website of The dept of Transportation he realised he was wrong. Now instead of admitting he is wrong he cried and threw a fit. Par for the course.