Any Irreg drivers out there?

blue efficacy

I just recently became a part time Irreg driver at the Night sort at my hub. I absolutely love it, much better than any other HUB job, and I have done pretty much all of them at least once.

And one night, I doubled and loaded package cars. Talk about night and day! Preloading is definitely the worst job I have ever done.

So does anyone else do irregs, or has anyone done them in the past?

OldManAllowance

Don't feel bad, most hub guys wilt on the preload, they can't take it. Being on the preload is like being in the marines...too tough for some people!

Keepingthemhonest

Bring'n sexy back
I work the preload shift and did irregs for about 6 months. Our former sups thought it was a good idea to move me around to the areas they have problems at because I busted it out and fixed it. Now someone with about 13 more years senority is doing incomps and he basically just walks around and retapes heh. It's a pretty sweet job, but then again my job currently being SPA (the guy that puts the PAL label on the package) is pretty sweet too...I rarely touch a package, only if the unloader doesn't get his label up or to help taking off irregs...you get the picture

Megansman

I work the preload shift and did irregs for about 6 months. Our former sups thought it was a good idea to move me around to the areas they have problems at because I busted it out and fixed it. Now someone with about 13 more years senority is doing incomps and he basically just walks around and retapes heh. It's a pretty sweet job, but then again my job currently being SPA (the guy that puts the PAL label on the package) is pretty sweet too...I rarely touch a package, only if the unloader doesn't get his label up or to help taking off irregs...you get the picture

Stop putting the #@$%^&*@*^% labels on the bar code I gotta scan

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
When I first started working for UPS it was at the Atlanta Hub as a loader on the Midnight Sort. I was hired as a Loader, but was soon working Irregulars with some Full-timers. This was in 1975, we didn't have the Taylor "Irregular Trains" back then. We had to push Hand Carts or "Floats" around that building full of 5 gallon buckets, crates, bumpers, etc., I can still remember those Mack truck leaf springs the Automotive Dept. would ship out to other Centers. We also had an old P400 that was painted yellow that we could drive around the yard to deliver to the far side of the Hub. I remember one winter the windshield was busted out, I can still remember how cold it was. It was great when we finally got the electric trains, you guys have got it easy these days. Back then the weight limit was fifty pounds, except for all the heavy truck and trailer parts UPS shipped.:laugh:

Overpaid Union Thug

There is no such thing as irregs in my building. They are treated like any other package. I remember irreg drivers from when I worked in a hub. They pretty muched walked around, or drover around, and talked all night.

disneyworld

When I first started working for UPS it was at the Atlanta Hub as a loader on the Midnight Sort. I was hired as a Loader, but was soon working Irregulars with some Full-timers. This was in 1975, we didn't have the Taylor "Irregular Trains" back then. We had to push Hand Carts or "Floats" around that building full of 5 gallon buckets, crates, bumpers, etc., I can still remember those Mack truck leaf springs the Automotive Dept. would ship out to other Centers. We also had an old P400 that was painted yellow that we could drive around the yard to deliver to the far side of the Hub. I remember one winter the windshield was busted out, I can still remember how cold it was. It was great when we finally got the electric trains, you guys have got it easy these days. Back then the weight limit was fifty pounds, except for all the heavy truck and trailer parts UPS shipped.:laugh:
Yeah,and it was uphill both ways around the building.

Keepingthemhonest

Bring'n sexy back
Stop putting the #@$%^&*@*^% labels on the bar code I gotta scan

You mean IE didn't create a timestudy for that and allocate time to manaually peal off the pal label and key the tracking#...NOWAY!?!?!?! I guess that could account for the drivers pissing in pop bottles and leaving them in the car...I guess a bathroom break just wasn't sequenced in EDD drats:mad:

browniehound

yeah spa guy, why on gods green earth to you continue to put the label over the barcode. The barcode takes a small percentage of the package surface area, yet you continue to put it here. If you were ever in my vicinity while i came across a label that was over a barcode and i had to key-enter the 1z, i'd throw the package off your stupid head.

blue efficacy

There is no such thing as irregs in my building. They are treated like any other package. I remember irreg drivers from when I worked in a hub. They pretty muched walked around, or drover around, and talked all night.
Thats how it is in my hub, lol!
There's a couple of hard working full timers, and a couple hard working n00bs. Everyone else is pretty relaxed in their work attitude. Two part timers above me regularly go on "road trips" in the building, or just go hang out, perhaps park their set in between the boxlines and chill in a package car.

LKLND3380

On our sort the unloaders do not know how to put a label up.

They do know how to pull down a wall of packages so that they land on the belt every which way. We were due to have a Keter Audit and now management wants them to use unload stands...

LKLND3380

I guess your drivers need to review their HABITS. One preloader here did not find a pop bottle but a Gatorade bottle of piss in a package car.

Stay Hydrated and Gatorade is healthier than pop.

You mean IE didn't create a time study for that and allocate time to manaually peal off the pal label and key the tracking#...NOWAY!?!?!?! I guess that could account for the drivers pissing in pop bottles and leaving them in the car...I guess a bathroom break just wasn't sequenced in EDD drats:mad: