Any motorcyclists out there?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
enlighten me on this dual range transmission? ---thats a new one for me

Basically the same concept as a 10 speed bike. 2 shifters. A low set of 5 gears and shift the 2nd lever and get the same 5 gears in a higher setting. I basically just used the highest as a highway overdrive.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I kinda fancied the friend models 750,900,1100. I spotted yours so quickly because I had a neighbor in college who had one nearly identical except for the sissy bar. A handsome bike, but I wondered just how much that exhaust weighed.

I eventually replaced the exhaust with a 4 into 1 after the original rotted. I was shopping for an 1100F but decided to quit my job, get married and move. Traded the CB900 in on a 1986 Nissan Sentra.

rod

Retired 22 years
Basically the same concept as a 10 speed bike. 2 shifters. A low set of 5 gears and shift the 2nd lever and get the same 5 gears in a higher setting. I basically just used the highest as a highway overdrive.

I guess I could see a setup like that if it was designed as a combination off road/ trails/ drag/ cruiser bike for all occasions but it seems impratical/overkill on CB 900 road bike. Japan must have had a "Sheldon Cooper" working for them on that model.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I guess I could see a setup like that if it was designed as a combination off road/ trails/ drag/ cruiser bike for all occasions but it seems impratical/overkill on CB 900 road bike. Japan must have had a "Sheldon Cooper" working for them on that model.

Agreed! Kinda pointless on 900. Why not just a 6 speed? Interesting conversation piece, though.

barnyard

KTM rider
I had a 900c also. I never used the low range, my brother always did. He liked jackrabbit starts, I liked getting decent mileage. I replaced it with a 750F, that I liked much better. My brother had V45 and V65 Sabres. Those were even better (more comfortable, easier to ride and all that. I am way too tall to ride anything that even remotely resembles a cruiser.)

On another note...... I am in the middle of a winter storm warning for the weekend. I was hoping to go out with my 640A and pop some wheelies. 1/2 inch or so of ice will put the kybosh on that.

Might as well sit back and enjoy the state high school hockey tournament.

rod

Retired 22 years
Honda CBs were some of best bikes ever made. I never had one but for years they were the most common Jap bike.

Other that my 1958 Sears 50cc moped that I got the summer between 6th and 7th grade my first true motorcycle was a Honda CB350. I put lots and lots of miles on that Sears moped. In fact I took my official motorcycle drivers license test on it when I was 13 which is still to this day recognized as an official motorcycle endorsement. The test consisted of an examiner following me around in his car for probably 10 city blocks. If he honked once I was to turn left and twice meant turn right.

1958 Sears Alltate PUCH moped - YouTube

Listen to that 2 speed tranny wind out------I was one BAD :censored2: M/friend back them. I did learn the hard way that trying to stand up on the seat while doing 30+ MPH will hurt you (thanks Evil Knievel for that idea). I still have some scars on my knees and arms to show for it.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I had a 900c also. I never used the low range, my brother always did. He liked jackrabbit starts, I liked getting decent mileage. I replaced it with a 750F, that I liked much better. My brother had V45 and V65 Sabres. Those were even better (more comfortable, easier to ride and all that. I am way too tall to ride anything that even remotely resembles a cruiser.)

On another note...... I am in the middle of a winter storm warning for the weekend. I was hoping to go out with my 640A and pop some wheelies. 1/2 inch or so of ice will put the kybosh on that.

Ya the ice would make that a little difficult.
We got about 20 inches of snow yesterday, but gonna be warm today.
i got the carbs back on a bike I've been working on, so I'm gonna rip it up on some main roads today.
Pray for me, lol

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian

My riding buddy had a 700 Sabre for quite a while. Love those first generation Honda V4's, despite the cam issues. Was completely vibration-free at 5000 rpm. Would still like to find a clean Interceptor of any size.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Ya the ice would make that a little difficult.
We got about 20 inches of snow yesterday, but gonna be warm today.
i got the carbs back on a bike I've been working on, so I'm gonna rip it up on some main roads today.
Pray for me, lol

Just break out the sharpened sheetmetal screws. Ice Speedway anyone?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Other that my 1958 Sears 50cc moped that I got the summer between 6th and 7th grade my first true motorcycle was a Honda CB350. I put lots and lots of miles on that Sears moped. In fact I took my official motorcycle drivers license test on it when I was 13 which is still to this day recognized as an official motorcycle endorsement. The test consisted of an examiner following me around in his car for probably 10 city blocks. If he honked once I was to turn left and twice meant turn right.

1958 Sears Alltate PUCH moped - YouTube

Listen to that 2 speed tranny wind out------I was one BAD :censored2: M/friend back them. I did learn the hard way that trying to stand up on the seat while doing 30+ MPH will hurt you (thanks Evil Knievel for that idea). I still have some scars on my knees and arms to show for it.

Indian Larry killed himself with the seat standing stunt.

barnyard

KTM rider
I almost bought a really clean 500 Interceptor 2 summers ago. It was on CL for $1500. Went and looked at it, was a beauty. Went to go get some money and the seller called to say the next guy that looked at it bought it.

I snoozed, I loozed.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I almost bought a really clean 500 Interceptor 2 summers ago. It was on CL for $1500. Went and looked at it, was a beauty. Went to go get some money and the seller called to say the next guy that looked at it bought it.

I snoozed, I loozed.[/QUOT

DAMMIT! That's just what I was looking for. Most these days have either got all the corners ground off or are way overpriced. What a shame you missed out. Love the sound of those with a Supertrapp or Kerker on. Music! I woulda offered you 2K on the same day.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I know. I liked Indian Larry. I will say when I did it I was only about 12 or 13 (young and dumb you know) ---Indian Larry was old enough to know better.
I've got a few friends that go down to the Indian Larry block party every year. I'd like to go this year.
That guy was an artist with iron. I give him much respect.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality

I snoozed, I loozed.[/QUOT

DAMMIT! That's just what I was looking for. Most these days have either got all the corners ground off or are way overpriced. What a shame you missed out. Love the sound of those with a Supertrapp or Kerker on. Music! I woulda offered you 2K on the same day.
I usually carry a few extra $ in case I come across a deal. Flipping stuff like that a good way to make some coin

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Diamond plate seat?! Ouch! Love the old GS engines except for the charging system. So easy to do the valves. I do all my own tunes since I bought a manometer. How U like the Bridgestone S11's? They've been good to me.
Bikes all done today. Took it out for a few miles. Runs good, EXCEPT, it had a nasty exhaust leak on 1 cylinder! A little frustrated, exhaust was a pain to line up. It's got to come off to inspect header image.jpg
image.jpg