Any musicians on browncafe?

raceanoncr

I was in a marching band, once, til they stopped and I didn't.

spike.jpg

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I'm probably lucky to get a month out of a set of strings, especially on the sixth string, from switching back and forth so much between standard and drop tunings.

DSCN2320.JPG

sailfish

Drop D rules.
I like going down to drop C# a lot too but that's about as low as I'll keep any of mine. I enjoy playing in drop A and B but you start to get the rubber band strings going at that point and it just sounds flat. Need a seven string to pull that off unless you want to completely change the set-up.

sailfish

You need more guitars! One for each favorite open tuning!
I agree. I got two Les Pauls so I've thought about just having the Ibanez restrung and set up for Drop B but I definitely still got a seven string on my to-do list. Proper drop A just sounds nasty (in a good way).

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I agree. I got two Les Pauls so I've thought about just having the Ibanez restrung and set up for Drop B but I definitely still got a seven string on my to-do list. Proper drop A just sounds nasty (in a good way).

You don't string your own?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Restrings, yes. But for a full set-up (strings, truss rod, bridge) I would have a professional do it.

You could learn how to do all that yourself.

Back when I first started playing, I got to know a guy who did all that and repairs. He wanted to teach me what he knew, but I was headed in a different direction. He offered me all his tools when he retired.

Oh, well. He fixed my old Harmony Sovereign more times than I can count. Still have that old stick.

sailfish

You could learn how to do all that yourself.

Back when I first started playing, I got to know a guy who did all that and repairs. He wanted to teach me what he knew, but I was headed in a different direction. He offered me all his tools when he retired.

Oh, well. He fixed my old Harmony Sovereign more times than I can count. Still have that old stick.
I could but I'm afraid of dicking something up.

sailfish

It's not that difficult.
I used to have a really nice Fender Jaguar that you actually had to take the neck off to adjust the truss rod (stupid ass design). It was the first time I tried doing a full setup and I ended up :censored2: it all up and have been afraid to do it again since. I was pretty depressed and bummed out about it for a while and I probably should've bought a flea market Squire or something to play around with first.

BUT, now that you mention it my Ibanez came with a folding tool with everything you could possibly need for setup as well as a detailed instruction manual, and setup on the Ibanez and Gibsons are a lot more straightforward than they were on that Jag. Maybe I'll give it a go and have a real nice drop B machine.