Any of your centers...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
My old feeder department sent a message thru my son (he works there) asking if I'd be interested in working peak. Not delivering or driving, but sitting on the yard telling independents what to do, where to park, checking in loads, etc. I politely declined.
They are giving some ridiculous high bonuses to seasonal feeder drivers and good hourly rate... comes out to more than what we are making...

Future

Victory Ride
We were told that helpers would get $100 a week bonus just for working five days here.
B58FDF78-95D3-4FD4-84F4-FE1480D4E770.gif

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The union (local or otherwise) had to OK this arrangement in order to not disturb the retiree's pension. In other words, it has to be agreed to.

That's exactly it.

The Central States plan had pretty stringent re-employment rules.

The new UPS/IBT plan only had 2 requirements....

You can't work for UPS or a subsidiary, and your Local Union.

They waved that rule.

-Bug-

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
That wouldn’t be happening in a large feeder Dept but that :censored2: goes under the radar in centers where there is only one feeder and a backup ...

Not under the radar here

It’s happening with union approval

Talked to the BA about he said it’s better than paying a bunch of scabs

I have to agree

rod

Retired 22 years
We have a retired feeder driver get together every 5-6 months. It's at a nice pub that also sells food. I really look forward to those meetings. Haven't missed one since I retired. I do miss the people I worked with with only a couple of exceptions. I don't miss the company. Big difference. It's got nothing to do with UPS. The company rarely comes into the conversation. Mostly it's talk about grandkids, fishing, hunting, insurance, and whatever lies come to mind.

We have a retired hourly employee breakfast on the 1st Tues. every month at Perkins. They set up a big table for us in the back and one of the retired drivers ex-wives waits on us. In the history of our center there has only been 25 employees who have retired. UPS started here in 1962 I believe. We usually get about a dozen to 15 to show up. It depends on the time of year. A lot of them go south for the winter. The 1st guy ever to retire still makes it for most of the year. Three others have died. (retire as SOON as you can because you never know when your time is up). When I first started this get together 17 years ago we did talk UPS crap a lot but now days UPS seldom comes up. Basically all we do is solve the worlds problems and make up lies about what exciting lives we live. We have been know to every once in a while stay to long so we end up going to a saloon for a beer or 2.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
He’s a backup feeder driver... shouldn’t they be working before a casual???

He is working. In packages.

He is a package driver on the qualified list for feeders.

During the rest of the year, he stays in packages when there are no feeder jobs to cover.

During peak, contract says he stays in packages.

UPS wanted this because it's easier to cover a feeder job with a casual than it is to cover a package job.

It is what it is.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
He is working. In packages.

He is a package driver on the qualified list for feeders.

During the rest of the year, he stays in packages when there are no feeder jobs to cover.

During peak, contract says he stays in packages.

UPS wanted this because it's easier to cover a feeder job with a casual than it is to cover a package job.

It is what it is.
Glad we dont have that language here... yes it is what it is...