Anybody carry a blade?

Faceplanted

So, at my building we had a span about a year or so ago that we were told knives would no longer be allowed to come into work. I haven’t heard anything since. Maybe it was the flavor of the month. On to my question

what is the official ups and teamster policy on a 3.25ish inch folding knife? I cannot find any real info in writing.

also, for those who carry a blade, what do you prefer and why?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Just carry it unclipped. What they don't know can't hurt them. But I wouldn't be able to do my job if I didn't carry one. The venerable Chris Reeve Sebenza always finds a place in my pocket in some variation or another.

dXkvM4C.jpg

Faceplanted

Just carry it unclipped. What they don't know can't hurt them. But I wouldn't be able to do my job if I didn't carry one. The venerable Chris Reeve Sebenza always finds a place in my pocket in some variation or another.

View attachment 317503
Nice piece. I’m curious as to the different rules in different areas of the county. I know most good ol boys always carry a knife. I work at a urbanish hub and was taken back by the “knife ban” they announced. Like I said that was a year or so ago and I havent heard anything since. I’m wondering if there is any backing to this threat from UPS.

542thruNthru

So, at my building we had a span about a year or so ago that we were told knives would no longer be allowed to come into work. I haven’t heard anything since. Maybe it was the flavor of the month. On to my question

what is the official ups and teamster policy on a 3.25ish inch folding knife? I cannot find any real info in writing.

It's in the Business code of conduct book. I can show you if you'd like.

sailfish

Nice piece. I’m curious as to the different rules in different areas of the county. I know most good ol boys always carry a knife. I work at a urbanish hub and was taken back by the “knife ban” they announced. Like I said that was a year or so ago and I havent heard anything since. I’m wondering if there is any backing to this threat from UPS.
As long as you're not at a center with metal detectors you'd have nothing to worry about carrying one anyway. If you did have to deal with the metal detector nonsense, maybe a Leatherman tool would get past the censors. The invention and use of tools is one of the things that separates humans from animals yet we live in a society where people cut things with their teeth and keys because they're afraid of said tools. It's ridiculous.

Faceplanted

As long as you're not at a center with metal detectors you'd have nothing to worry about carrying one anyway. If you did have to deal with the metal detector nonsense, maybe a Leatherman tool would get past the censors. The invention and use of tools is one of the things that separates humans from animals yet we live in a society where people cut things with their teeth and keys because they're afraid of said tools. It's ridiculous.
We do have metal detectors.

542thruNthru

A classic SAK on your keys would probably never get a second look.
The questions is more about risk/reward in my opinion.

I think it's idiotic to say we can't have a knife (especially since we have box cutters) but is the risk worth the reward of sneaking one in?

Faceplanted

I think it's idiotic to say we can't have a knife (especially since we have box cutters) but is the risk worth the reward of sneaking one in?
This is a very valid point. I worked in the hood for years, people knew me, never had any issues. My concern has been, and is getting more and more towards Civil unrest. I just feel as a human I should have a right to defend my self with a tool if I am minding my business not looking for a fade. Ups gun policy it’s obvious, it seems they can’t differentiate between box cutter, letterman, and a pocket knife (all the same) though.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
We've heard it before..."UPS is a nonviolent company". In other words we are victims. I had a DM tell me that if i got jumped in the hood at night that I was not allowed to protect myself. He told me that I would get my job back in a hearing. Yeah, stupid maroon, i doubt I'd have the opportunity to sign the grievance form when I'm in a box at the funeral home. There were multiple (12) shootings and 6 people stabbed on my route in just a few weeks so the police department told the local management to get their drivers out of those areas after dark.
Did it happen? Nope.

sailfish

I guess I'm coming from a biased perspective. Not a day goes by that I don't use mine for work all throughout the day and everyone knows they're just tools as necessary to the job as any other.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
This is a very valid point. I worked in the hood for years, people knew me, never had any issues. My concern has been, and is getting more and more towards Civil unrest. I just feel as a human I should have a right to defend my self with a tool if I am minding my business not looking for a fade. Ups gun policy it’s obvious, it seems they can’t differentiate between box cutter, letterman, and a pocket knife (all the same) though.
Funny, fedx can carry. Oh wait, they're not unionized. Maybe the management can ride with the drivers in the hood after dark and show us how to take command of situations.
Screenshot_20201114-230055.png

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

No weapons at all. 7 years ago or so we had a preloader cut his hand with a box cutter.

Big PCM the next day on no knives at all blah blah blah. 28 year driver (biggest safety freak you will ever meet) hands over a pocket knife the size of my pinkie. Apologizes profusely about carrying it for the past 28 years.

Top 5 funniest things I’ve ever witnessed here.

sailfish

Oh my God. This actually triggers me. I've carried one every day since I was 13 and have never had an issue. Everything's gotta be neutered for the lowest denominator of idiots.

Faceplanted

Oh my God. This actually triggers me. I've carried one every day since I was 13 and have never had an issue. Everything's gotta be neutered for the lowest denominator of idiots.
You must be one of those proud boys! On a serious note, people are illogical and it’s getting worse.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Thank goodness we don't have to pry off cod tags anymore. Or cut competitors shipper addresses for our mandated sales lead for the week.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
No weapons at all. 7 years ago or so we had a preloader cut his hand with a box cutter.

Big PCM the next day on no knives at all blah blah blah. 28 year driver (biggest safety freak you will ever meet) hands over a pocket knife the size of my pinkie. Apologizes profusely about carrying it for the past 28 years.

Top 5 funniest things I’ve ever witnessed here.
The closer they get to retirement the greater the spine disease.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger

That’s a tiny one.