Anybody carry a blade?

Rack em

Made the Podium
We've heard it before..."UPS is a nonviolent company". In other words we are victims. I had a DM tell me that if i got jumped in the hood at night that I was not allowed to protect myself. He told me that I would get my job back in a hearing. Yeah, stupid maroon, i doubt I'd have the opportunity to sign the grievance form when I'm in a box at the funeral home. There were multiple (12) shootings and 6 people stabbed on my route in just a few weeks so the police department told the local management to get their drivers out of those areas after dark.
Did it happen? Nope.
I'd file for harassment and then drive out of that area any time it was dark. Safety first and ups can suck my nuts,

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
A shame how much HAND TOOLS are demonized just because of what they could be used for. Better remove belts from the uniform. Someone could strangle a sup. And ban bars of soap from the locker rooms. You could drop one in a UPS sock and really do some damage. And I've seen some pry bars in the mechanic's bay that would definitely leave you hurting. Can't have those either.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
A shame how much HAND TOOLS are demonized just because of what they could be used for. Better remove belts from the uniform. Someone could strangle a sup. And ban bars of soap from the locker rooms. You could drop one in a UPS sock and really do some damage. And I've seen some pry bars in the mechanic's bay that would definitely leave you hurting. Can't have those either.
I wouldn’t drop a bar of soap in the locker room....

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I have to agree with @sailfish here. I’ve had a pocketknife of some sort in my pocket all of my adult life, especially the 34 years I was at UPS. Everything from a Case penknife up to the Keyshaw clip knife I carry now. Not as any sort of weapon, but as a tool I use at some point every day

clean hairy

We've heard it before..."UPS is a nonviolent company". In other words we are victims. I had a DM tell me that if i got jumped in the hood at night that I was not allowed to protect myself. He told me that I would get my job back in a hearing. Yeah, stupid maroon, i doubt I'd have the opportunity to sign the grievance form when I'm in a box at the funeral home. There were multiple (12) shootings and 6 people stabbed on my route in just a few weeks so the police department told the local management to get their drivers out of those areas after dark.
Did it happen? Nope.
In that case you could file a grievance for being ordered to work in hostile environment?

purehavanne

As long as you're not at a center with metal detectors you'd have nothing to worry about carrying one anyway. If you did have to deal with the metal detector nonsense, maybe a Leatherman tool would get past the censors. The invention and use of tools is one of the things that separates humans from animals yet we live in a society where people cut things with their teeth and keys because they're afraid of said tools. It's ridiculous.
We have metal detectors. Does security use them? No

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
1605438583140.png

I carried that my whole career. Initially had it clipped to my belt, after they came up with some kind of knife ban (can't remember the details it was years ago) I kept it in my bag.

oldngray

nowhere special
We pretty much had to carry a knife when we had to cut COD tags off packages. Wasn't a problem. Just a tool. Not a weapon. When the policy changed most people still had knives but didn't openly display them as much. Although there were still a lot on belts.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
One is none...

But to the seasonal pt HR supes reading this thread...

No I don't carry anything other than a diad and water bottles...

tumblr_mrqco7HBcH1qadupho1_400.gif

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Seriously though...

I see some guys carrying pocket knives because they think it looks cool.

They haven't trained with it, sharpened it or even know it's multiple capabilities.

They'd probably be beaten half to death and never even think to use it or how to draw it...

Threads gonna get people hurt.

PCLoadPackage

^^ THIS

I've done some training with knives. That's enough to know that I never want to be in a knife fight.

For utility, I carry a Kershaw Cryo. I've carried a knife since I was in grade school. I've never been happier with a knife than I am with the Cryo. It's easy to open and close one-handed, even with my preload gloves on. It has holes tapped so you can move the clip for both left and right hand carry as well as tip-up or tip-down carry.

I use it daily at work. Sups have even borrowed it on several occasions when they're working close by. I can't imagine not being able to bring it to work. Our center has absolutely zero security, though. No guard shack. No badges. No fence. Anybody can walk right in with anything.

cryo.jpg