Anybody else get swarmed by Amazon?

Poop Head

Judge me.
And now a Wallation... (®Wally)

My friends,

As an Amazon employee in a distribution center, let me offer some inside perspective as it relates to UPS.

Our independent contractors are not earning as projected. One is walking away as of tomorrow. These small business owners are bleeding money, incurring large losses for vehicle damages.

There are many service failures as well, with some routes missing pickups repeatedly. Our routes are dispatched with only an average 45 stops daily.

Lmfao!!!

MattM

From these statements, I suspect that both of you went through common core math.

Depending on which numbers you believe, Amazon is 8-10% of our volume.

So, losing 10% of our volume equates to losing 80% of our workforce?

That's common core for you....2+2=5

I’m at an air hub where we physically touch every box for many destinations that then get loaded on a feeder plane. Of 400 pieces, 320 are easily amazon branded. Many feeder planes are built to hold maybe 300 pieces, so we sort out and hold about 100 Amazon boxes.
The alternate reality without amazon is a $3,000-$4,000 feeder flight that has 80 non amazon pieces. For now, they’re helping us pay the bills. But we’re being pushed to our limits daily. I don’t think we run things for 80 pieces. Operation shut down.

Before the big one day push, we were seeing a solid 50/50 mix between amazon and non amazon at many destinations. Volumes were lower as well. For the same flight above with 400, we would get about 300 total, and 150 of them amazon. Everything would fit and no overflow.
Amazon volume in my parts have easily doubled.
80% loss of a workforce may seem extreme. But I’m comfortable saying as much as 50% of our workforce could be gone without amazon.
——
8-10% may be true for the company as a whole. But specific feeder destinations in the sticks are pushing 80%. Without them, we are working with a skeleton crew.
So right or wrong, we’re prioritizing non amazon customers.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
But specific feeder destinations in the sticks are pushing 80%. Without them, we are working with a skeleton crew.

Yes, some buildings were built just for Amazon, and could see a higher layoff rate if we lost all Amazon.

But I’m comfortable saying as much as 50% of our workforce could be gone without amazon.

Still sticking to that common core math I see.

Your building could see 50%, but not even close as a whole.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I’m at an air hub where we physically touch every box for many destinations that then get loaded on a feeder plane. Of 400 pieces, 320 are easily amazon branded. Many feeder planes are built to hold maybe 300 pieces, so we sort out and hold about 100 Amazon boxes.
The alternate reality without amazon is a $3,000-$4,000 feeder flight that has 80 non amazon pieces. For now, they’re helping us pay the bills. But we’re being pushed to our limits daily. I don’t think we run things for 80 pieces. Operation shut down.

Before the big one day push, we were seeing a solid 50/50 mix between amazon and non amazon at many destinations. Volumes were lower as well. For the same flight above with 400, we would get about 300 total, and 150 of them amazon. Everything would fit and no overflow.
Amazon volume in my parts have easily doubled.
80% loss of a workforce may seem extreme. But I’m comfortable saying as much as 50% of our workforce could be gone without amazon.
——
8-10% may be true for the company as a whole. But specific feeder destinations in the sticks are pushing 80%. Without them, we are working with a skeleton crew.
So right or wrong, we’re prioritizing non amazon customers.

UPS had 400K employees in 2010, pre Amazon.

They have 480K today.

A lot of those extra 80K came from Amazon, but not all.

I'll let you do the math.

Lose Amazon, and what percentage may be laid off?

MattM

UPS had 400K employees in 2010, pre Amazon.

They have 480K today.

A lot of those extra 80K came from Amazon, but not all.

I'll let you do the math.

Lose Amazon, and what percentage may be laid off?

I don’t doubt those figures one bit. But many accounts who shipped through ups on their own for years, now use amazon fulfillment centers. There is minimal growth outside of amazon labeled packages. I think you’re underestimating Amazon’s presence with us.

Of those 400k workers now, how many have amazon on their routes or in their trucks. The hurt would be real. I think we’re looking at the numbers in different ways. They’re suffocating the whole system and they won’t just let go of the ‘new’ 80k workers. Amazon is too ingrained now imho.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Probably 50%

Common core math?

By saying that we would lose 50% of our Workforce if we lost all of Amazon, is the same as saying our Workforce doubled because of Amazon.

That would mean we should have about 800,000 employees right now.

. I think you’re underestimating Amazon’s presence with us.

Nope.

Even those you say outsources to Amazon are included in that 10% of our volume.

If we did lose all of Amazon, yes, it would hurt.

To lose 10% of our total volume, yes, it would cause layoffs.

In the range of 50 to 80%?

I want some of those drugs you're doing.

Last edited:

ThePackageDeli

UPS is looking to recoup what it will lose with Amazon through drone deployment and other hopefully profitable endeavors.

As a company, we are probably in really good shape.
But, as far as the individual is concerned, I smell layoffs.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
UPS is looking to recoup what it will lose with Amazon through drone deployment and other hopefully profitable endeavors. Y5

As a company, we are probably in really good shape.
But, as far as the individual is concerned, I smell layoffs.

We only make around $25M a year profit from Amazon.

That's a lot for one shipper, but a drop in the bucket compared to $4B yearly net profit.

The layoffs will more than make up for the lost revenue.

They will still make $4B without Amazon, just with a few less employees.

And no, I do not want to see layoffs. But it's bound to happen if we lose Amazon.

Rack em

Made the Podium

That's a lot for one shipper, but a drop in the bucket compared to $4B yearly net profit.

And no, I do not want to see layoffs. But it's bound to happen if we lose Amazon.
We need to drop amazon asap!

Rack em

Made the Podium
FedEx did

The USPS raised Amazon's rates.

It could be an epic fail Christmas for Amazon if they didn't have us.
That's exactly why we need to dump them, they can't survive without us. A couple weeks after people can't get their amazon crap because amazon isn't able to deliver it themselves and their reputation will be in the toilet. I don't understand why Ups continues to help amazon establish themselves as our competitor. We need to drown them now before they become unstoppable and that isn't too far away.

Air Recovery

That's exactly why we need to dump them, they can't survive without us. A couple weeks after people can't get their amazon crap because amazon isn't able to deliver it themselves and their reputation will be in the toilet. I don't understand why Ups continues to help amazon establish themselves as our competitor. We need to drown them now before they become unstoppable and that isn't too far away.

I see what youre saying and I'm curious as to why we haven't. I don't trust the company's analysts. They :censored2:ed up and accidentally raised every new hire in our building from 10.50 to 16.00 permanently last peak. I question their strategic prowess

PAUPSGuy

Listen its pretty simple, and I'm not the only business guy with any common sense around here. Amazon is inevitably going to flood the UPS infrastructure with volume and then rip the entire rug out from underneath the company. Leaving Abney with his dk in his hand for a quarterly wondering why nobody is playing fair. It's sharky business maneuvers but let's be real here UPS doesn't have any sharks at the helm anymore. Transformation is - Make UPS younger, dumber, and cheaper. Remove all the incentives to pursue a career and see what idiots stick around. They overlook their seasoned crowd and instead of managing them they shift gears to save themselves the leadership challenge. Couriers are easily replaced in the workforce. The majority of these guys have no college, or exit strategy and are straight stranded dropping off cardboard. That includes a lot of management thanks to that 70-20-10 model.

Amazon will devour this company in due time if UPS lets them. You don't "strike ground" on a 100 airplane hanger for fun... Watch them but understand unless the leaders at the helm don their shark suits this company is in for major headwinds. Universities aren't even suggesting UPS as a company to pursue for a reason. You don't need a Ph.D. to see what's going on here. Love him or hate him you have to respect Bezos' intelligence/tenacity. What pisses me off the most is that UPS has the talent they just don't know how to maximize on it and unless they revamp/gut their HR arm they are going to bleed out from within. They already are...I mean how many people can say with a straight face they respect, admire, or look to follow their center managers? It's in the single digits.. That man or woman should control the tempo of the results. Not walk their dog at whatever time they want to be done that day.

ThePackageDeli

ThePackageDeli

*When we lose Amazon.

Listen its pretty simple, and I'm not the only business guy with any common sense around here. Amazon is inevitably going to flood the UPS infrastructure with volume and then rip the entire rug out from underneath the company. Leaving Abney with his dk in his hand for a quarterly wondering why nobody is playing fair. It's sharky business maneuvers but let's be real here UPS doesn't have any sharks at the helm anymore. Transformation is - Make UPS younger, dumber, and cheaper. Remove all the incentives to pursue a career and see what idiots stick around. They overlook their seasoned crowd and instead of managing them they shift gears to save themselves the leadership challenge. Couriers are easily replaced in the workforce. The majority of these guys have no college, or exit strategy and are straight stranded dropping off cardboard. That includes a lot of management thanks to that 70-20-10 model.

Amazon will devour this company in due time if UPS lets them. You don't "strike ground" on a 100 airplane hanger for fun... Watch them but understand unless the leaders at the helm don their shark suits this company is in for major headwinds. Universities aren't even suggesting UPS as a company to pursue for a reason. You don't need a Ph.D. to see what's going on here. Love him or hate him you have to respect Bezos' intelligence/tenacity. What pisses me off the most is that UPS has the talent they just don't know how to maximize on it and unless they revamp/gut their HR arm they are going to bleed out from within. They already are...I mean how many people can say with a straight face they respect, admire, or look to follow their center managers? It's in the single digits.. That man or woman should control the tempo of the results. Not walk their dog at whatever time they want to be done that day.

Abney is retiring next year. We can pretty much not even consider him.

The Driver

I drive.
I'm heavier than ever. Going out with almost 500 pieces everyday now.

As a layman I wonder if Amazon's volume growth will outpace their ability and desire to spend as much money expanding their network nationwide, especially if the economy turns downward. The ultimate question is: will they need UPS in some major capacity for as long as they are a company?

AwashBwashCwash

. I don't understand why Ups continues to help amazon establish themselves as our competitor.

that's easy - short term corporate greed.
To them it's preferable to post good numbers next quarter, appease the shareholders, and cash in their bonus checks, than it is to think about what's going to happen 10 years down the road.
In the event that Amazon becomes a major competitor and UPS suffers because of it, it won't affect the ones who created that scenario.
The only thing that could happen to them is that they get :censored2:canned, and if that happens they'll just glide on the golden parachute into some other company where they can swing their dick around until they drive that into the ground too.