Anybody else get swarmed by Amazon?

Overpaid Union Thug

Listen its pretty simple, and I'm not the only business guy with any common sense around here. Amazon is inevitably going to flood the UPS infrastructure with volume and then rip the entire rug out from underneath the company. Leaving Abney with his dk in his hand for a quarterly wondering why nobody is playing fair. It's sharky business maneuvers but let's be real here UPS doesn't have any sharks at the helm anymore. Transformation is - Make UPS younger, dumber, and cheaper. Remove all the incentives to pursue a career and see what idiots stick around. They overlook their seasoned crowd and instead of managing them they shift gears to save themselves the leadership challenge. Couriers are easily replaced in the workforce. The majority of these guys have no college, or exit strategy and are straight stranded dropping off cardboard. That includes a lot of management thanks to that 70-20-10 model.

Amazon will devour this company in due time if UPS lets them. You don't "strike ground" on a 100 airplane hanger for fun... Watch them but understand unless the leaders at the helm don their shark suits this company is in for major headwinds. Universities aren't even suggesting UPS as a company to pursue for a reason. You don't need a Ph.D. to see what's going on here. Love him or hate him you have to respect Bezos' intelligence/tenacity. What pisses me off the most is that UPS has the talent they just don't know how to maximize on it and unless they revamp/gut their HR arm they are going to bleed out from within. They already are...I mean how many people can say with a straight face they respect, admire, or look to follow their center managers? It's in the single digits.. That man or woman should control the tempo of the results. Not walk their dog at whatever time they want to be done that day.

Atlanta is only focused on share holders and technology “upgrades” they can brag about on s social media and to tech magazines/websites. If they weren’t then they would have figured out that Amazon is playing them.

The Driver

I drive.
that's easy - short term corporate greed.
To them it's preferable to post good numbers next quarter, appease the shareholders, and cash in their bonus checks, than it is to think about what's going to happen 10 years down the road.
In the event that Amazon becomes a major competitor and UPS suffers because of it, it won't affect the ones who created that scenario.
The only thing that could happen to them is that they get :censored2:canned, and if that happens they'll just glide on the golden parachute into some other company where they can swing their dick around until they drive that into the ground too.

Scariest thing I've read all Halloween

Dumbperson

If I had to estimate, some of our destinations are 80% Amazon. If we lose them, I’d say we lose 80% of our workforce.

We haven’t really seen a drop in packages either. We’re at peak volume already. None of these packages are two day either. We’re forced to secondary sort out the amazon so we hold some of that volume to a later shift.

Does anyone know if one day shipping is one day to get it shipped out? Or is it from warehouse to your home in one day? We can’t really match that demand.

Amazon is pushing us to the brink of collapse. Half of our equipment is old and just crapping out. That’s amazons plan though. Use and abuse us until they’re up and running. Yet we continue to give them volume discounts that aren’t really helping us. We haven’t had a new tug in 15 years.
I get a tug in every lunch

ThePackageDeli

I want to quickly compare the difference between UPS and Amazon in terms of how each company gains new business:

In order to become a new UPS customer, you have to print off a label/ take your package to a UPS Store or other access point (Staples, Kroger etc.), or arrange for a pick-up || or order something from a company that already ships with UPS.

In order to become an Amazon customer, you have to order something from their website (which accounts for 50% of all e-commerce in the US. That's crazy!)

When you think about it, B2B should be UPS's bread and butter, while B2C should be steadily overtaken by Amazon.

watdaflock?

Record week in my hub last week. People going out with 300+ stops and it doesn't look like it's getting any better. So many Amazon packages
GS-4-nothing-to-see-here-folks-move-along.jpg

MattM

All time high of 5 jets for our gateway today. Peak would occasionally get three. Seven trailer pulls for area hubs. The norm is two pulls. Peak would occasionally see six

good luck today and the rest of the new peak. 50 days til Christmas.

was there some flash sales today or this past weekend?

Dumbperson

All time high of 5 jets for our gateway today. Peak would occasionally get three. Seven trailer pulls for area hubs. The norm is two pulls. Peak would occasionally see six

I think Amazon had one Friday

ThePackageDeli

Amazon is in a growth boom, and their new facilities need stocked with lots of supplies. Some of the additional volume can be attributed to that.

upschuck

Because Amazon is ordering product from companies that ship UPS? The route in my building that delivers to the Amazon hub gets dozens of pieces per day for them.
Also these marketplace sellers that use amazon fulfillment. Same stuff, going to multiple amazon warehouses.