Anybody ever get served summons?

satellitedriver

If you were a "victim"(off the clock, in your own vehicle) of an accident with a large company vehicle (perhaps fed-ex or a wal-mart vehicle) and it was their fault, and you were not so "injured" but you thought there could be a chance of getting a little something (say, 15,000 to 50,000 thousand dollars) wouldn't you contact a lawyer to see if you had a case?? anyone who says no is not being honest.
Anyone not so "injured" and sued just to try and get some quick money is the one not being honest.

upsdude

Now that you’ve been summoned, do not discuss the case/accident with anyone. As a former cop, I can tell you that anything you say about the situation could come back to haunt you. I agree with the others, UPS is the target, not you. The lawyers go for deep pockets, even if you’re a recent lottery winner UPS still has deeper pockets.

If your manager is a good one, he’ll make sure you have zero contact with the plaintiffs as their delivery driver.

If you’ve been summoned to give a deposition, be honest. If you don’t know the answer say you don’t know. If the case goes to trial, the answers you gave in the deposition are expected to be the same at trial. Anything different could lead to perjury charges. Think I’m kidding? It happens every day.

trickpony1

Your attorney (assuming one is provided by the company) will brief you on some of the strategies to use during deposition prior to the actual deposition. I would guess the company will provide you with an attorney who will be present during the depo because the last thing the company wants is you "winging it" and costing the company more money.
Simply answer the question with the shortest, most direct answer possible. DO NOT elaborate, embroider or embellish your answers. The opposing attorney will smile alot and act like he is your friend.......he isn't.
Generally speaking, attorneys will ask you questions they already know the answers to just to see if they can trip you up thereby giving them (the opposition) more ammunition to use against you and the company.
Feel free to ask for a break, go to the restroom and splash some water on your face and gather your thoughts.
THINK BEFORE SPEAKING.

trickpony1

ADDITION TO PREVIOUS POST:
The opposing attorney may also word his questions in a manner that is not easily understood by you. If he does either sit there and look stupid or simply say "I don't understand the question".
The opposing attorney may also try the "rapid fire" technique of asking you questions just to get you "flustered" and nervous.
The opposition may also try making veiled threats in an attempt to get you to blurt out an answer favorable to the opposition.
I've been to a couple of depo's. Keep your answers short and to the point. Don't try to impress the opposition with your intellligence and abilities.
Listen CLOSELY to the question! Be short and to the point and you won't give them anything.

HazMatMan

Not if I wasn't actually hurt!!! And I take offense to your statement about not being honest if anyone disagrees with your point of view. If you lie about being injured.....you're not being honest!!!!

Anyone not so "injured" and sued just to try and get some quick money is the one not being honest.

Wow did I strike a sensitive nerve or what?? Would you say a sprained ankle was an injury?? or perhaps a seperated shoulder?? and if I did happen to see a lawyer with my "minor" injuries and he says we had a case why is that not being honest on my part?? As for you taking offense to my "point of view" that is why we are on here to voice our opinions and points of views.. I take offense to your name actually, isn't a bong what you smoke pot out of?? Also I call your bluff about suing, if YOU got hit by a Fed-ex truck i'm sure dollar signs would be rolling around in your eyeballs, and you would be contacting a lawyer immediately.....

HazMatMan

Not if I wasn't actually hurt!!! And I take offense to your statement about not being honest if anyone disagrees with your point of view. If you lie about being injured.....you're not being honest!!!!

Also, some injuries take a few days to be detected, so while you are saying you are ok to the other party in the accident, and a few days from now might have you feeling some pain and then what would you do?? Hospital visits, doctor visits cost money, wouldn't you want the other persons insurance to pay for it?? (Oh but you can't because you already told that person you were not injured) Or are you so rich that you can afford to pay those bills yourself??? I welcome your comments, opinions, disagreements, bashings...

upsgrunt

Also, some injuries take a few days to be detected, so while you are saying you are ok to the other party in the accident, and a few days from now might have you feeling some pain and then what would you do?? Hospital visits, doctor visits cost money, wouldn't you want the other persons insurance to pay for it?? (Oh but you can't because you already told that person you were not injured) Or are you so rich that you can afford to pay those bills yourself??? I welcome your comments, opinions, disagreements, bashings...

Of course I would want the other's insurance to cover any damages. What I'm talking about is: the lady's husband wasn't even in the car and he is suing also because-quote" he suffered a loss of consortium, including the love, guidance, society, companionship, and services of his wife that he would have received and was accustomed to receiving and would have received but for her injuries for the rest of his life."
So since this accident the lady doesn't love him anymore? It's the BS that makes it wrong just because people see it as a get rich quick thing. What's right is right, but just as equally is what is wrong is just wrong!

tieguy

Banned
Of course I would want the other's insurance to cover any damages. What I'm talking about is: the lady's husband wasn't even in the car and he is suing also because-quote" he suffered a loss of consortium, including the love, guidance, society, companionship, and services of his wife that he would have received and was accustomed to receiving and would have received but for her injuries for the rest of his life."
So since this accident the lady doesn't love him anymore? It's the BS that makes it wrong just because people see it as a get rich quick thing. What's right is right, but just as equally is what is wrong is just wrong!

Ugh how young is this couple that still engages in consortium activity.

Sir Thats not a package car driving by thats a pullman brown piggy bank loaded with loot.

satellitedriver

Wow did I strike a sensitive nerve or what?? Would you say a sprained ankle was an injury?? or perhaps a seperated shoulder?? and if I did happen to see a lawyer with my "minor" injuries and he says we had a case why is that not being honest on my part?? As for you taking offense to my "point of view" that is why we are on here to voice our opinions and points of views.. I take offense to your name actually, isn't a bong what you smoke pot out of?? Also I call your bluff about suing, if YOU got hit by a Fed-ex truck i'm sure dollar signs would be rolling around in your eyeballs, and you would be contacting a lawyer immediately.....
If you had struck a sensitive nerve I could sue you, by you standards.
In your original post you stated:
" and you were not so "injured" but you thought there could be a chance of getting a little something (say, 15,000 to 50,000 thousand dollars) "
This statement tells me you are willing to lie for money.
I take no offense to your "point of view" and you have the right to state them. Your "view" is common, yet morally corrupt.
No bluff on my part.

upsgrunt

Sir Thats not a package car driving by thats a pullman brown piggy bank loaded with loot.

At the risk of sounding stupid, what is consortium activity in layman's terms. By the way, they are late 20's.

tieguy

Banned
At the risk of sounding stupid, what is consortium activity in layman's terms. By the way, they are late 20's.

The injury of the wife now keeps her from being able to perform her sexual duties as a wife thus denying her husband this badly needed service.

I'm not a legal expert by any means but I always thought this loss of consortium was brought up in much higher dollar lawsuits.

DS

Fenderbender

Tie you remind me of Mr. Burnns from the Simpsons
Ah yes the beatles,I remember thier incessant caterwalling from the early 60's

RockyRogue

Agent of Change

Sue happy society, Grunt. I had two accidents in Illinois and to my knowledge wasn't sued after either of them. Then again, I was a teenager under my parent's insurance, so they might have settled out of court and my folks decided not to tell me. I rattle very easily :crying:.

LOL!:lol::lol:. Haven't heard this term used since a re-run TV show from the 60's!

At late 20's (I forget where I saw that...sorry), I'm really not surprised they're suing. Somebody sees a way to sock away a little money or pay something down or off. I think Grunt told me in the chat one night where he was in Illinois. My memory of property values is that these suing b*%$#es could probably pay off their home AND a large portion of their other debts from a $140,000 settlement. Time to reform the laws governing civil suits and have the losers pay the victor's legal fees.

cliffy in cheers was another one well versed in the fine art of verbal bovinity.

My father LOVED that show when I was a toddler. Years later, he'd stay up til it came on in re-runs late at night. I never really saw the humor, to be honest. Even now, I prefer a different kind of comedy. The Three Stooges ALWAYS had me in stitches, though! -Rocky

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
have note filled out b4 you even get to that house,ring bell once,bolt down stairs and screw !!! you made attempt,no answer ni 1 sorry your gone!!!! ups will defend you dont lose sleep these people want a free ride from brown not you. let us know how things progress good luck

upsdude

Since this thread has turned into an insurance fraud discussion, I’ll add a story.

Several years ago during my cop days I roll up to an accident involving a parked car and a drunk driver. The accident happened in front of a very fine establishment located in the city’s more prominent ghetto. Two fine young men in the back seat of the parked car were complaining of “neck pain” and wanted medical treatment. The car’s owner was absent. The drunk driver just wanted to go home. I had noticed the car the night before parked in the same spot. I was fortunate enough to find 3 witnesses that said the 2 injured fellows had taken a seat in the car after the accident. An ambulance transported the 2 fine young men to a local hospital.

The parked car came back as stolen 5 days prior from an adjoining jurisdiction. The drunk was charged with DUI and blew a .21 on the Breathalyzer. The 2 fellows in the parked car were charged with possession of stolen property and filing a false police report. The drunk was sent to an alcohol program and kept his drivers license. The “injured” parties were enrolled in the city’s landscape academy for a 30 day education.

HazMatMan

If you had struck a sensitive nerve I could sue you, by you standards.
In your original post you stated:
" and you were not so "injured" but you thought there could be a chance of getting a little something (say, 15,000 to 50,000 thousand dollars) "
This statement tells me you are willing to lie for money.
I take no offense to your "point of view" and you have the right to state them. Your "view" is common, yet morally corrupt.
No bluff on my part.

Oh, I beg to differ, I never said in any of my posts that I would be willing to lie for money. If you read it carefully I said "not so injured" I also asked what "not so injured" meant. A cracked rib, a sprained wrist could be construed as "not so injured". If a lawyer said all bills paid, car fixed, and 10 grand for your cracked rib, what are you going to say?? No thanks for the 10 grand, I just need my bills paid and my car fixed....I am just stating hypothetical scenarios, you may get squat for a cracked rib.... I just added my OPINION to this topic that is all...

HazMatMan

Since this thread has turned into an insurance fraud discussion, I’ll add a story.

Several years ago during my cop days I roll up to an accident involving a parked car and a drunk driver. The accident happened in front of a very fine establishment located in the city’s more prominent ghetto. Two fine young men in the back seat of the parked car were complaining of “neck pain” and wanted medical treatment. The car’s owner was absent. The drunk driver just wanted to go home. I had noticed the car the night before parked in the same spot. I was fortunate enough to find 3 witnesses that said the 2 injured fellows had taken a seat in the car after the accident. An ambulance transported the 2 fine young men to a local hospital.

The parked car came back as stolen 5 days prior from an adjoining jurisdiction. The drunk was charged with DUI and blew a .21 on the Breathalyzer. The 2 fellows in the parked car were charged with possession of stolen property and filing a false police report. The drunk was sent to an alcohol program and kept his drivers license. The “injured” parties were enrolled in the city’s landscape academy for a 30 day education.

Insurance fraud??? Wow, people sure take posts out of context....Interesting story though....

upsgrunt

have note filled out b4 you even get to that house,ring bell once,bolt down stairs and screw !!! you made attempt,no answer ni 1 sorry your gone!!!! ups will defend you dont lose sleep these people want a free ride from brown not you. let us know how things progress good luck

Thanks Woodsy! I'll give you any details as things happen. I've already been told that I will be represented by UPS lawyers and this kind of thing is not uncommon. All I know is it has never happened to me and it shook me up pretty good. Thanks for all the support and advice from all posters.:thumbup1: