Anybody out there doing something different to save money on gas???

mikestrek

Both my wife and I traded in our two vehicles for smaller and better fuel economy. I had a full size truck and she had a SUV. We both did this on one of my weeks vacation. The pay off has been HUGE. Also, when we went to the Hybrid dealer. (at the time) There was a 4 month wait for a vehicle. And you should have seen the Large trucks and SUV's that were all traded in and lined up in the back of the lot. It's a big financial differense to trade in for a smaller vehicle or like STEVEN, Walk or ride a bike. Now I can make my Mortgage payment.

upsdude

If I did ride a bicycle it would have to be this one.....................
chopsickle.jpg

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
They said you ride to your office?
Yes sir, every morning, first to the gym though, and then back to the house after work.

22 mile commute . No way would I survive against all those unlicensed, just plaid stupid, and not caring drivers.
During my youth all I did was ride, covered in reflectors & lights at night & back then it was really rough many actually used me as a target to hit.
Today people on bikes scare me.....very few understand our traffic laws that state that a person on a bicycle ( a motorized vehicle ) has to follow the law just like a car or truck. Many fly thru red lights & stops signs with no regard. Crosswalks ( laws states that a pedestrian is some one with 2 feet on the ground ) any one riding on one is required to be walking, you should see the amount of fingers those riders flip my way when I have to honk at them as they fly thru them thinking that I am going to jam on my brakes.

I obey all traffic laws, with this exception. I leave a 5:15am, so I may not wait for lights at that time if no cars are coming. On the way home there's more traffic so I am strict in keeping with the law. Cars pass me close sometimes and sometimes I think it's on purpose, but I don't think they realize that I catch a good draft this way, LOL. Other than this I just put my head down and pedal and ignore everything that's going on around me. Funny story: Just got a new road bike with the toe clips. Old bike was a Huffy mountain bike, which I always rode in 18th gear, even over a huge bridge. This new bike is like a Corvette, (no offense to anyone with anyone that would prefer I used a differnet car in this analogy). Anyway, I'm on my way home and come to a red light at a main intersection on US1 in Stuart Florida. I slow up so I can hover before the crosswalk. I end up going a little bit too far and am in the cross traffic lane. I try to use my momentum to wheel around but it's all gone. I attempt to pull my feet out of the toe straps (which I have extra tight for the up/down pedal motion. None of this works and I end up tipping and falling like a giant redwood tree right in front of the car that stopped next to me at the traffic light. Can you say, Embarassing? I quickly reached down, unstrapped my feet, hopped on the bike and as soon as the light turned green I was gone. If the traffic camera caught that, I'm sure to wind up on youtube.:surprised:

pkg-king

We use a credit card that earns points towards free gas, we put every purchase each month on the card, and also pay it off each month. So far since may, we've earned $300 in gas. Now, if I'd only trade in my truck for Prius I could make that free gas stretch alot further.

evilleace

I haven't done much although I have thought about biking to work but I have to take a highway to get there, or go through a pretty rough part of town so I drive. Also I go to school after work so all the books would be kind of heavy.
Now I have cut down on unnecessary driving. I used to go to work then back home then to class back home back to school and back home again. total that was 42 miles a day. As opposed to now I go to school from work only 2 miles away, and shower there then I stay until all my classes are over and then I go home this way only 16 miles per day. Saves a lot. Also my Dad recently bought a scooter for his commute gets 70mpg and instead of $300 a month on gas he spends around $100 for scooter and his car a month.

I haven't done much although I have thought about biking to work but I have to take a highway to get there, or go through a pretty rough part of town so I drive. Also I go to school after work so all the books would be kind of heavy.
Now I have cut down on unnecessary driving. I used to go to work then back home then to class back home back to school and back home again. total that was 42 miles a day. As opposed to now I go to school from work only 2 miles away, and shower there then I stay until all my classes are over and then I go home this way only 16 miles per day. Saves a lot. Also my Dad recently bought a scooter for his commute gets 70mpg and instead of $300 a month on gas he spends around $100 for scooter and his car a month.
What did he have to pay for the scooter?

Billy

A scooter that can run on the highway is going to run you at least 4 grand. Some have heated seats, and grips with a large windshield. You could gear up and ride nearly all year round with one.

E

evillace

The scooter was $2000 it can go about 70mph and it is a blast to ride. There is no shifting gears and the windshield is big so you can probably ride in the winter to wouldn't recommend it in the snow though.

Fnix

You can get a used 250cc Motorcycle for under $2500. Gets around 60 mpg. If you use it to commute daily it can pay for itself shortly. And insurance on one would run around $150 per year.

The new 250 Ninja that Kawasaki makes looks exactly like the one in my avatar.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
These are all great ideas, aside from the kicking the tractor out of gear. I don't know how safe that is. And most of these won't wear you down while you save some cash. Here in Florida I can ride all year round, what's a little rain? Had the winds from hurricane Ike at my back on the way home today and on my last 2 1/2 mile of blvd, I was cruising at about 26mph. Fastest I've ever gone is downhill on the Roosevelt bridge here 44.1 mph. Thank God there was a green light at the bottom.:dead: