Anybody out there doing something different to save money on gas???

evilleace

I would hate to ride over him, but in South Carolina on vacation a few yrs back I rode about 2ft. from one in the bushes and didn't even know it.

Mike Hawk

Funny story: Just got a new road bike with the toe clips. Old bike was a Huffy mountain bike, which I always rode in 18th gear, even over a huge bridge. This new bike is like a Corvette, (no offense to anyone with anyone that would prefer I used a differnet car in this analogy). Anyway, I'm on my way home and come to a red light at a main intersection on US1 in Stuart Florida. I slow up so I can hover before the crosswalk. I end up going a little bit too far and am in the cross traffic lane. I try to use my momentum to wheel around but it's all gone. I attempt to pull my feet out of the toe straps (which I have extra tight for the up/down pedal motion. None of this works and I end up tipping and falling like a giant redwood tree right in front of the car that stopped next to me at the traffic light. Can you say, Embarassing? I quickly reached down, unstrapped my feet, hopped on the bike and as soon as the light turned green I was gone. If the traffic camera caught that, I'm sure to wind up on youtube.:surprised:
Go clipless Steve! Now days you can get clipless shoes that walk like normal shoes(not like road shoes/backwards high heels). I have Crank Bros Eggbeaters on my road bike and Mallets on my mountain bike, same cleat/shoe works with both.
eggmxr_silv.jpg

Eggbeater^
malletc_wht.jpg

Mallet^
They have other in between options better suited for the stop/go commuting.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Go clipless Steve! Now days you can get clipless shoes that walk like normal shoes(not like road shoes/backwards high heels). I have Crank Bros Eggbeaters on my road bike and Mallets on my mountain bike, same cleat/shoe works with both.
eggmxr_silv.jpg

Eggbeater^
malletc_wht.jpg

Mallet^
They have other in between options better suited for the stop/go commuting.
Thanks for the advice Mike. I'll definetly check into that, as my regular running shoes are too wide and I get some squeaking as they go past the pedal stem.

Last edited: