Anyone have a federal vision waiver?

Bonbon

Well behaved women rarely make history
Illegal aliens?

Mr. Drunk driver!

Mr. Magoo?
He delivers in the hood, with all of the above, lol. Anytime I've ever had to deliver there I always ask him how the hell he's not gotten hit. Literally the dumbest drivers in our metro area. And trust me...I would know, I get around...not like that...

trickpony1

His depth...well apparently they adapt and rely on hearing and shadows a lot.

Is there such a thing as a "waiver of demonstrated ability" where, I think, a DOT examiner rides with him to determine his ability to drive safely?

Maybe a written endorsement from his optometrist and a demo ride with a DOT examiner would help.

trickpony1

Maybe a written endorsement from his optometrist and a demo ride with a DOT examiner would help.

I would seriously pursue this and ask questions at the local DOT office. I do know "waivers of demonstrated ability" can/have been given for other medical issues.

Bonbon

Is there such a thing as a "waiver of demonstrated ability" where, I think, a DOT examiner rides with him to determine his ability to drive safely?

I wish they did cuz they'd know he sooo safe. To get a waiver you have to have a letter written from your optometrist stating they consider you as safe as any other person with normal sight. Plus a notarized driving record from the dmv plus a letter from your employer saying they've witnessed your safe driving and want to continue to employ you. Plus a bunch of other :censored2:. Seriously....I've spent two full days running errands with him dealing with this :censored2:...my advice to anyone that ever has to deal with it?...memorize the :censored2:ing eye chart. Would have saved much trouble!

Bonbon

I would seriously pursue this and ask questions at the local DOT office. I do know "waivers of demonstrated ability" can/have been given for other medical issues.
The problem is that UPS requires a Federal waiver. A local state one won't work. Some issue about delivering goods that cross state lines.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
He's had monocular vision since birth. If you read up on it the only real impairment is depth perception and sometimes peripheral vision. His peripheral is great as he can see out of it kinda. His depth...well apparently they adapt and rely on hearing and shadows a lot. It's actually really cool how the human body adapts. According to the optometrist he's as safe as any other driver on the road.
I don't get why only now it's a problem?

Bonbon

All these years I thought the DOT was a federal agency. I guess I was wrong.
If your husband is a pkg driver, does he ever go out of state?
He is and no he doesn't but apparently it doesn't matter. He transports goods that come from out of state so a federal waiver is required.

Bonbon

I don't get why only now it's a problem?
Ha! When you figure that out let me know. He told HR when he applied, he told the nurse during his first dot exam...now at his renewal it's suddenly a big deal.

trickpony1

I'll find my DOT card and look.
I could be wrong but I'm almost sure there is a little box on it that says "intrastate only".

Indecisi0n

Has anyone applied for and successfully gotten a federal vision waiver for their dot card?
This guy did

1905160638440081.gif