Anyone know of any good footwear?

Cementups

Box Monkey
Those Nike Acg Boots look too good to be worn to work. Can you tell me how long before they can get "broken" in... .

I wore them 2 days before I went on vacation and so far, so good. I would like to get a different insole for them but overall I think I like them. If I could have gotten them a half size smaller I would absoultelylove them but since no one make 12.5 I have to settle for 13's in a lot of different shoes.

I will vouch for Ecco shoes. I have owned a few pairs of Eccos, golf shoes, and LOVE them. They fit like a glove. I credit that to being made in European sizes which are more exact than our goofy American standard system. I can get a 46 which is just smaller than a 13 and is an awesome fit. Beware though, Ecco's are a little pricey.

Shoe buying advice: If you can afford to, when you find a shoe that you really like and fits nicely and last.....buy 2 or 3 more pairs to have on backup since styles never last long enough for you go back and buy another pair when the first pair is retired. Also, in case you didn't know already, shoes are a tax write-off, as are work t-shirts and other work specific clothes that you have to spend you own money on. save your receipts and give them to your tax guy at the end of the year along with your last check to show your Union
Dues paid out.

I once found a pair of New Balance shoes that I fell in love with immediately. I found a company online that had them in stock so I ordered 3 pairs of them (on top of the 1st pair I had purchased at a chain store). the next day they called me to clear up my error but I had to explain to them that I was indeed buying 3 pairs of the same shoe due to being a UPS driver and going thru shoes so often. they were more than happy to accomodate my needs. I wish they still made that shoe. I can still remember, it was a New Balance 801AB. Great shoe:bored:

SmithBarney

I agree, find a pair you like and buy several.. I did that with my timberlands
just wish I bought more... I went through 2 pair and then they stopped making them.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I Wear Open Toe Black Leather Pumps At Home ,but At Work I Wear Timberland Boots !!!! Sometimes In The Shifter When No Ones Looking I Put On A Nice Pair Of Fluffy Pink Slippers,but Only If Its Warm!!!!

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
I was turned on to some awesome tactical shoes. Best shoes I've owned in 18 years, and only boots I'll ever buy again. They take a bit to break in. But once you got them in, they are a dream. They are made by a company called 511. They are their 6" tacticals. Slip resistant, oil resistant, hold well on worn out diamondplating. Plus, held out over 6 months (I've burned rocky's, echo's, and wolverines in 3-4 months easy). Shoes run about $75-80, but worth every penny.

canon

I was turned on to some awesome tactical shoes. Best shoes I've owned in 18 years, and only boots I'll ever buy again. They take a bit to break in. But once you got them in, they are a dream. They are made by a company called 511. They are their 6" tacticals. Slip resistant, oil resistant, hold well on worn out diamondplating. Plus, held out over 6 months (I've burned rocky's, echo's, and wolverines in 3-4 months easy). Shoes run about $75-80, but worth every penny.
6 months? Are you wearing them outside of work too? My Asolo's generally good for 1.5-2 years depending on how much weekend hiking they also see. The last pair retired to do yard work.. still comfortable but no tread left.

Guess it depends on your route too... but even when I had the industrial/residential route it was 1-2 years duration. The 511's do look nice tho, but I go for something specifically designed for prolonged hiking/walking. The vibram soles on the Asolo and others make a huge difference in the long run.

The 8" tactical strike boots by 511 are appealing too. I wouldn't get them for work... but they'd be great for those nights when I have to go to a nice restaurant.

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
Canon, most of the drivers here only get a couple months out of their footwear. I'm on a business/industrial route doing alot of heavy walking all day (alot of office buildings) plus a resi area at the end of my day. Plus working the clutch all day takes a toll on our shoes. So even the people with the higher end shoes (echoes, etc) wear them out pretty quick. Plus, yes, we (myself included) also wear them around after work. I normally get longer usage when I buy two pairs at a time and alternate every week. Think last time around I got just a tad over a year out of two pairs of 511's alternating.

The 511 are designed for all day use. Gotta realize, these were designed for law enforcement and mostly military usage. My future brother in law (special forces here in WA) uses the 511 high tops for his patrol boots. Loved them to death. Just the initial break in period. He told me about them, then I used a source to get them cheap. Now, lost my source so have to pay about retail. Still not a bad price, and very durable (great on your feet, and made to pound the pavement).

brownieboy

I agree, the Eccos are high. But they make my feet and my back feel better. I buy them off Ebay for about 1/2 of store prices. Of course I wear a size 15 shoe, so I dont have a whole lot of competition in bidding on them.

canon

Canon, most of the drivers here only get a couple months out of their footwear. I'm on a business/industrial route doing alot of heavy walking all day (alot of office buildings) plus a resi area at the end of my day. Plus working the clutch all day takes a toll on our shoes. So even the people with the higher end shoes (echoes, etc) wear them out pretty quick. Plus, yes, we (myself included) also wear them around after work. I normally get longer usage when I buy two pairs at a time and alternate every week. Think last time around I got just a tad over a year out of two pairs of 511's alternating.

The 511 are designed for all day use. Gotta realize, these were designed for law enforcement and mostly military usage. My future brother in law (special forces here in WA) uses the 511 high tops for his patrol boots. Loved them to death. Just the initial break in period. He told me about them, then I used a source to get them cheap. Now, lost my source so have to pay about retail. Still not a bad price, and very durable (great on your feet, and made to pound the pavement).
I know about military boots, but never cared much for the army issued jungle boots. Thanks for the endorsement, will definately give them a look next time I'm in the market for some boots!

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
Ah, gotcha Canon. But why I mentioned the 511's, because they aren't issued boots (a bit more flexibility on footwear now, especially in the elite units). He prefers the 511's because of the way his feet feel and the durability of them after long/hard wear. I was convinced. Just a little bit more of a break in period (I wear them at least 2 weeks at home before putting them to use at work). Love these boots to death. They look just like a hiking boot, 6" so can be worn with the shorts (they do have the taller boots which can be worn in the military). I buy the 6" so I can wear them all year around (who am I kidding, I wear shorts all year LOL).

Don1010

Thank God for Dr Scholls, they are working wonders . 170stops today and still felt like i could run a couple of miles. They are great. I think i may have rescued my feet just in time . My right toe caught a cramp today but i think thats only because of those bad shoes i was wearing. The extra insole i added seems to put a lil more bounce in step. Heal Pain is completely gone. I surely recommend Dr Scholls .

daddaj

my dogs are howling so loud i limped my way to the finish line today. Anyone got any good ideas on footwear ?

UPS feet take a pounding, don't they? I highly recommend New Balance, they are lightweight yet plenty sturdy for the job. If feet are swelling to point your shoes feel tight, I suggest next width i.e. if your wear D width get E or EE. Wide range (no pun intended) of width sizes is another plus of New Balance. Since the job puts tremendous stress on your feet, purchase the premium insoles to replace the standard ones. Better yet if you can afford it get fitted for orthopaedic insoles. Constant impact may have caused trauma which may have changed shape of arches and/or to other part of the feet, and only fitted insoles will give your feet the support they need. Insurance may pay for custom insoles if your doctor says you need them, but that could send up a red flag. UPS may see you as potential worker's comp liability in near future, and probably try to get rid of you. If you find duration and intenity of pain is increasing, start thinking the worse, there maybe degenerative changes occurring and job is coming to an end. Keep track of all company doctor visits and diagnosis. Never, never, never make the suggestion, even as joke, you can no longer do the job. Let UPS say that, keep the ball in thier court. FWIW: The physical nature takes it toll on every joint and ligaments in your body but there four main areas more likely to undergo degenerative changes due to injury or repetitive stress; feet, knees, hips and back. On average, UPS drivers last only 16 years, notwithstanding everyone here believe they will make it to normal retirement pension rules.

Some others things you should do to keep feet healthy, no jumping out of package car ( I know, I know, easier said). When you get home, soak your feet daily in Epson salt before showering (inexpensive treatment), an old therapeutic home remedy but still the best around. Remove your shoes and socks whenever possible during lunch break and massage feet at start and end of break. Also good way to use the 15 minute breaks.

BTW: You can place your New Balance order through me, by......just kidding.

Smokin' Joe

Last edited:
C

canamjohn

In the 20 years i have been a driver the 511 sheild boots are the best shoe i have ever used. I am on my 2nd year with this pair, only replacing the insoles. They are a little hot in the summer. No more twisted ankles. Very lite for a boot. Other drivers in my center use them as well.

submarine

Banned
I swear by Red Wing boots.. they last forever, just keep replacing the sole. Free laces for the life of the boot as well.

Those are the BEST boots out there, for package, inside, or feeder. DON'T make the mistake of wearing tennis shoes! You will have a lifetime of foot problems and related pain. Redwings in one of the only shoe store that will take the time to actually fit the shoes to your feet, and their new insoles that heat-mold to your feet work better than any orthotic I have ever had. Well worth the money, American and UNION Made!

Cape Shoes are good too and also American and Union made. Wish they would have a retail store in Arizona and I would alternate every year.

tjb

Yes eccos are great shoes I get the track II model.It comes in black or brown lo cut or booy versions.There $190 ang re-solable for $70 per pair I just buy new ones.When they resole they use a different sole which is not the two density original.They only come in full sizes but run wide.I take 2E in new balance andthey fit fine.They also gortex which=dry feet but their also a little warmer.
Amother great shoe is the new balance mw925bk,comes in multiple withs and is made of real leather so it breathes well vs sinthetic shoes.
If you have tried lots of different brand name shoes and your feet still hurt step up to some good insoles.Most shoes come with filler insoles,wich mean no suport what so ever.A brand named sole makes so nice ones.You put then in youroven at 200 degrees untill a small grey dot turns black,then you put them in your shoes and wear then around for 5 minutes or so and their customized to your arch.
Just my .02 or more like a buc fifty.I can't help in I sold shoes during my college days.