Apparently Express Hires Unprofessional Drivers

DS

Fenderbender
Suppose Amazon builds a warehouse in Dallas, TX., and contracts with a local carrier to deliver exclusively within the Dallas metro area. You would not need a feeder network or infrastructure to accomplish this.
I may be wrong upstate,but ups or fedex could both do it cheaper.
Customers nowadays want to track their pkgs online,could a local courier do this?

vantexan

Suppose Amazon builds a warehouse in Dallas, TX., and contracts with a local carrier to deliver exclusively within the Dallas metro area. You would not need a feeder network or infrastructure to accomplish this.

But Amazon isn't building warehouses in higher cost metro areas. They are building regional distribution centers in lower cost small cities, same as Walmart has done. Strategically placed, they can reach anywhere in the U.S. in a matter of days, including overnight in a fairly large area for each center, using Ground. UPS too but Ground's prices are lower. If Ontrac can duplicate that for less cost great, but I doubt it. And FedEx keeps saying the shift in the industry is from overnight to slower, cheaper service. I think the idea that UPS and FedEx are going to get severely hurt by regional carriers is, for now, wishful thinking. Who knows in the future but it'll take a big investment on someone's part with a big risk of failure.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I highly doubt Amazon is gonna offer same day shipping. That would take moving heaven and Earth.
There's no way in heck, whether near a metro area or, out in the sticks that every warehouse is gonna stock at least 2 of everything Amazon sells so that it can be ordered, processed, picked, packed, sent out, del'd the same day. That's impossible.

Secondly, just b'c you order something tonight doesn't mean they're throwing it in box tonight. Don't they wanna process your order on your credit card and make sure that you've got the money first? That's gonna take about a day.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Semantics, maybe.

I don't think so. First you said it's free but, then we find out that you're paying $79 a year for a service whether you use it or, not. So, it's not free. You're paying $79 a year for the "free" shipping and the other two perks.

When I shop Amazon, I do try to get the free "super saver shipping" by buying over $25 worth of stuff which, 9 times out of 10 I am. If I'm not, then I put the item in my "wish list" and next time I decide I need something else, I just tack on the wish list item and bingo, I get free super saver shipping. Nothing I'm buying from Amazon is anything I need in less than a week. If I need it right now, I'm buying it somewhere that has it on the shelf right now.

vantexan

Just Googled OnTrac. Scrolled down and found Amazon customer discussion about OnTrac. They make the criticisms of Ground here look like tea time at the bridge club.

XFILED

I've had Amazon Prime free for years...Different ways to get it free are and were Amazon student,Amazon caregiver and I believe Amazon mom...plus all the free trials...
I order a lot from Amazon because of the free prime..

I've never had a problem with OnTrac's service...in fact when I saw it was shipping with OnTrac I was elated cause I knew I would get it fast and in one piece...I moved this past year and the service and quality from a different OnTrac delivery area was the same...

Out of all the carriers Amazon uses the very worse service has been Fedex Express..I've had boxes arrived smashed and ripped open...

Also the other day I was talking to the OnTrac guy on my route and I asked him about his route and his route was the size of 3 Fedex routes and he had like 120 stops in his van...Told me the day before he had 150 stops...I think the majority were Amazon..

vantexan

I've had Amazon Prime free for years...Different ways to get it free are and were Amazon student,Amazon caregiver and I believe Amazon mom...plus all the free trials...
I order a lot from Amazon because of the free prime..

I've never had a problem with OnTrac's service...in fact when I saw it was shipping with OnTrac I was elated cause I knew I would get it fast and in one piece...I moved this past year and the service and quality from a different OnTrac delivery area was the same...

Out of all the carriers Amazon uses the very worse service has been Fedex Express..I've had boxes arrived smashed and ripped open...

Also the other day I was talking to the OnTrac guy on my route and I asked him about his route and his route was the size of 3 Fedex routes and he had like 120 stops in his van...Told me the day before he had 150 stops...I think the majority were Amazon..

So I guess all those people complaining about OnTrac on the Amazon site were just making it up? 3 FedEx rts? Are we talking 3 very condensed city rts? One thing I saw on the Amazon discussion were people getting their pkgs after 8 p.m. With no ringing doorbell or knock. So they may very well be doing much larger rts but are working very long hrs. If we're worried about safety issues then how long until an Ontrac employee gets into a serious accident working 14 hr days?

newgirl

I highly doubt Amazon is gonna offer same day shipping. That would take moving heaven and Earth.
There's no way in heck, whether near a metro area or, out in the sticks that every warehouse is gonna stock at least 2 of everything Amazon sells so that it can be ordered, processed, picked, packed, sent out, del'd the same day. That's impossible.

Secondly, just b'c you order something tonight doesn't mean they're throwing it in box tonight. Don't they wanna process your order on your credit card and make sure that you've got the money first? That's gonna take about a day.

UPS Invests in Same-Day Delivery Service Shutl Ahead of U.S. Launch - Tricia Duryee - Commerce - AllThingsD

newgirl

So I guess all those people complaining about OnTrac on the Amazon site were just making it up? 3 FedEx rts? Are we talking 3 very condensed city rts? One thing I saw on the Amazon discussion were people getting their pkgs after 8 p.m. With no ringing doorbell or knock. So they may very well be doing much larger rts but are working very long hrs. If we're worried about safety issues then how long until an Ontrac employee gets into a serious accident working 14 hr days?

I don't know how most people do it, but I tend not to post comments when I get the service I expected.

newgirl

That's why amazon bought Kiva for almost 800 million dollars. You sit at your computer and you order your widget. Your order goes immediately through the "cloud" and to the Kiva robot that scurries off to pick your widget for the packer to pack.

XFILED

I'm sure their have been bad experiences but so far mine have been superb....

Yes city routes and I was surprised to hear him say that he was starting to have that many stops now because he used to tell me he did like 80 to 90 a day...Now with those extra 30+ stops he said he is done around 8pm...
Also he said they have regular pick ups now so I believe it when people say that they are getting their packages after 8pm..

SmithBarney

I've done this before, I hate doing it, I have one particular stop which really doesn't allow me the room to turn around in the lot

Hate 150lb Packages

I saw a Ground driver smoking while gassing. I do leave my vehicle running all the time, except when prohibited (jail, schools). I'm not lazy, I just drive a really bad vehicle. Several times this year I've turned off the truck and it wouldn't turn back on. I've seen drivers get work done on vehicles with packages loaded in the back, letting the mechanic drive it. I've seen drivers put hazmats in the cab, get in fights at the terminal, smash and throw boxes into oblivion.. Ground is a sham. Express is better, but pretty soon everyone will work for a contractor. It's getting better though: Why, just today the contractor here came in and announced two really good perks. He is providing health insurance next year at a discounted price. He said it's so affordable, he named it the affordable care act. What a swell guy. We are also getting paid sick time. The way it works is, if you get sick and come work a route, you get paid 100% of your normal rate. They also provided us a list of local doctor offices open on Sunday, and authorized us to go then.

P1 Failure

What I want to know is why the Ground guys leave their trucks running at stops,doors wide open and no seat belt on when driving? I'm talking about all you guys outta the Norcross terminal especially Prime Trucking. Will be a shame when your truck is stolen and used in a crime or accident that kills someone.