Applying to UPS for Feeder with Preventable Accidents on only company record

Should he go for it?

• Yes

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

Inevitable

Hello, I work at FedEx Freight and have a good friend and coworker who is stubbornly refusing to hold back on trying to become a UPS feeder driver. The primary reason I try to convince him otherwise is because he still has preventable accidents (though minor) on company record (his MVR is clean). I believe all of his accidents except 1 will become over 3 years old at the beginning of 2020 thus allowing him to get back into the driving program. But it would likely be a year til he reached the top of the pay scale - likely by that time he would become a linehaul/road driver which rivals the pay of UPS feeder according to what I have researched (about 80-120k/year depending on bid).

With all of that being said, we have seen several drivers go to competitors after becoming disqualified, never admit to the minor preventable accidents (as they were only on company record), and never have an issue.

I don't want to see my friend end up with no job. He seems to think that I'm being paranoid but I'm merely telling him he should play it safe. At the same time, going from second year freight handler at $21.xx/hr to starting $28.xx/hr (according to him) as a feeder driver will help his finances out significantly.

Has anyone heard of UPS or any trucking company finding out about an applicant's omitted preventable accidents - though they were only listed on the previous company's internal record? Can anyone weigh in on this?

Hello, I work at FedEx Freight and have a good friend and coworker who is stubbornly refusing to hold back on trying to become a UPS feeder driver. The primary reason I try to convince him otherwise is because he still has preventable accidents (though minor) on company record (his MVR is clean). I believe all of his accidents except 1 will become over 3 years old at the beginning of 2020 thus allowing him to get back into the driving program. But it would likely be a year til he reached the top of the pay scale - likely by that time he would become a linehaul/road driver which rivals the pay of UPS feeder according to what I have researched (about 80-120k/year depending on bid).

With all of that being said, we have seen several drivers go to competitors after becoming disqualified, never admit to the minor preventable accidents (as they were only on company record), and never have an issue.

I don't want to see my friend end up with no job. He seems to think that I'm being paranoid but I'm merely telling him he should play it safe. At the same time, going from second year freight handler at $21.xx/hr to starting $28.xx/hr (according to him) as a feeder driver will help his finances out significantly.

Has anyone heard of UPS or any trucking company finding out about an applicant's omitted preventable accidents - though they were only listed on the previous company's internal record? Can anyone weigh in on this?
Number one don't lie
Not sure if the rules for feeder are different than a package car driver. Can't have no accidents or tickets for one year and no DUI or reckless driving tickets for 3 years

Maybe some of the feeder drivers can weigh in (no pun intended)

@over9five

@DriveInDriveOut

@HEFFERNAN

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Previous employers typically won't say anything other than when you worked there and what your position was. It's a liability issue for them, libel lawsuits and such.

If it's not on your MVR don't mention it.

KoennenTiger

I ain't sure what the starting pay rate is anymore but I really don't think it's $28 an hour.

It's a gamble, for sure. While the conventional wisdom would be that employers typically don't disclose anything other than when/where/what you worked as @Jones mentioned; there seems to be a level of protection against such lawsuits with regard to commercial vehicle history.

Reference sections of 49 CFR § 391.23 - Investigation and inquiries.

(g) After October 29, 2004, previous employers must:

(1) Respond to each request for the DOT defined information in paragraphs (d) and (e) of this section within 30 days after the request is received. If there is no safety performance history information to report for that driver, previous motor carrieremployers are nonetheless required to send a response confirming the non-existence of any such data, including the driver identification information and dates of employment.

(2) Take all precautions reasonably necessary to ensure the accuracy of the records.

(3) Provide specific contact information in case a driverchooses to contact the previous employer regarding correction or rebuttal of the data.

(4) Keep a record of each request and the response for one year, including the date, the party to whom it was released, and a summary identifying what was provided.

(5)Exception. Until May 1, 2006, carriers need only provide information for accidents that occurred after April 29, 2003.

Inevitable

Thank you so much for the replies. Does anyone know the safety requirements/policy (# of preventable accidents allowed in x amount of years, etc.) for becoming a UPS feeder? I have heard of a couple of companies (including UPS Freight and Saia I believe) hiring FedEx disqualified drivers who were HONEST about their accidents, but, of course, I'm sure that depends on the quantity, age and severity of the accidents.

Maplewood

Its 1 year with no tickets, moving violations, to qualify for feeder here in the west. Accidents where you weren't cited dont mean :censored2:.

Thank you so much for the replies. Does anyone know the safety requirements/policy (# of preventable accidents allowed in x amount of years, etc.) for becoming a UPS feeder? I have heard of a couple of companies (including UPS Freight and Saia I believe) hiring FedEx disqualified drivers who were HONEST about their accidents, but, of course, I'm sure that depends on the quantity, age and severity of the accidents.

Definitely won’t be Saia. They wouldn’t take me with a non preventable that I disclosed from January this year.

Inevitable

We are in Colorado. What states do the "West" encompass? It may be better for him to simply be upfront about it.

I read through the regulations that 0702 linked and prospective employers are REQUIRED to request information on any accidents (whether DOT accidents or very minor [though, they would only be required to report info on minor accidents if they already keep a record of the minor accidents]) occurring in the past 3 years from previous DOT regulated employers. In addition, the code says that previous employers are REQUIRED to respond with ACCURATE information. This is also required to happen within about 30 days of employment by the new employer. On top of all that, the prospective employers are protected from lawsuits as brought up earlier in the thread though it doesn't seem to say anything about protection for the previous employer interestingly enough (you would think they would be the ones needing the protection).

I don't think the guy that got into Saia recently has been disqualified an entire year, but it is possible (meaning all of his preventable accidents would then be over a year old). Difference in region (desperation for drivers) could be a factor. I just spoke to him yesterday and he said he was UPFRONT with Saia. I also recently spoke to a disqualified driver that got into YRC a while back - it sounds like he put information on accidents in his application but they never asked him about it in the interview or since.