Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Written warning

Votes: 45 57.7%
  • Termination

Votes: 13 16.7%

• Total voters

satellitedriver

Sat

I have no issue with your post as a whole, except that you do not recognize the law when you see it.

The law states (notice it says nothing about speed limits) that you are to stay in the right lane except to pass. Then and only then are you to venture into the other lanes.

All driving manuals state the same thing. So even a new driver knows where he is suposed to be unless passing.

In this case, they were looking for a story, and unfortunatly, the UPS driver played right into their hands.

I have seen too many drivers trying to impose thier "green" outlook on life by driving 50-55 in a 65, and blocking all those that would try and get around.

Those people are 1, breaking the law, 2 creating a situation where accidents will happen. And that is my point with these two knuckleheads.

They made a story, and got Gomer to play the part, and he did not disapoint.

d
Dan,
I also do not have an issue with the majority your posts,except, when you say that it is an offense of law to not yield the right of way, for someone who is breaking the law.
The officer will ticket me, but not the speeder/tailgater?
If that isn't a screwed up way to enforce the laws of the road, well I don't know what to say.
To me, that is like arresting a bank teller for not giving the robber the money fast enough, because, they were endangering everyone else in the bank by keeping the armed robber there longer.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
when you say that it is an offense of law to not yield the right of way, for someone who is breaking the law.

In our country, we are suposedly a group of law abiding citizens. We conduct ourselves in accourdance with that theme. When someone breaks the law, does that make it alright for us to break it as well. No it does not.

In the case of the cyclist and the UPS truck, the fact that the driver did not see the cyclist has no bearing on the issue. There was traffic approaching the intersection that should have been seen and reacted to. Pure and simple. And they had the right of way.

Now, the fact that the cyclist was speeding, does that then remove his right to the right of way? No it does not. He has the right of way. Period. And the fact that we did not see him does not relieve the driver from that fact.

Now, they did not charge him with that accident (the police) and that was well and good. But the fact remains that he was hit by a vehicle in an intersection that had the right of way through that intersection. and I would like to think that had he seen the cyclist, he would have given him that right of way. If not, that would be negligent homicide.

d

over9five

Staff member
"The law states (notice it says nothing about speed limits) that you are to stay in the right lane except to pass. Then and only then are you to venture into the other lanes.
All driving manuals state the same thing. So even a new driver knows where he is suposed to be unless passing."

That is incorrect. The SC drivers manual says:

Know Your Lanes
Driving in the proper lane on a interstate is a “must” for safety. The
extreme right lane is usually for slower speeds and also for entering and
leaving the interstate. The other lanes are usually for motorists who
want to drive and maintain the posted speed limit.

"Drive and maintain the posted speed limit." Exactly what the reporter was doing.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The reporter did nothing wrong. Our guy did nothing right. He deserved the termination. He should be thankful it ended the way that it did with no one hurt or any property damaged.

local804

Im not sure what UPS should do but I would remind that feeder driver that he gets paid by the hour and to slow the hell down. I know tie said he was a long road driver but I find that totally unacceptable. The cut off move that he did was the icing on the cake. The person getting cut off could have been any one of our parents DOING the speed limit or one of our children. The speeding part we can question but the wreckless driving is out of control. Who cares about the packages, take a break and look at your life.

local804

I have always felt that discipline should be consistent (all things being equal). I think it would be extremely hard to prove gross negligence based on the tape I saw.

I don't think there are grounds for termination. How do you think you can make a termination stick? What am I missing? There was no result of an injury or accident.

The favorite choice here is failure to follow instructions.
They dont have to use this incident to fire him. They will just use typical UPS tactics when they need to remove an employee and start thier game plan.

1timepu

I myself am a Feeder driver, no way in the world I would do that, in fact for my safety I never leave the furthest right lane and always 5 to 10 below the speed limit, this creates a big cushion in front of my vehichle, making it safe for me if I ever had to adbrubtly stop. We always have guys like this and I could never understand their thinking.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I never leave the furthest right lane and always 5 to 10 below the speed limit

Now, you are a running road block for the rest of the traffic. And since others want to move along, they have to use the other lanes to pass. but wait, there is a maroon that is blocking that lane too. What is the big guy gonna do?

Not supporting the way he drove, just understand the frustration when those that do not move with traffic do not go to the right of the road.

d

1timepu

Not really a road block, if the traffic is that HEAVY then it aint moving that fast to begin with, also 2:00am in the middle of the night hardly anybody on the road, except a few, and guess what ....knock on wood I have 20 years safe driving so I must be doing something right.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Sorry, I drive a lot too. 2 am around hotlanta, and if you are doing 80, you better be in the slow lane, cause they WILL run you over.

BTW, 10 MPH under the speed limit? Feeder driver? Hmmmm, is that a work slowdown?

No wonder our feeder loads dont make it on time. And we have a late start time every day. And we deliver half of our air past commit.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dear Fredly ad nasuem

Those of us that quote law find it interesting when those like you make statements that show how little you really know.

For instance, in CA, one of the more liberal states

(c) A vehicle subject to Section 22406 shall be driven in a lane designated pursuant to Section 21655, or if a lane has not been so designated, in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb. When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, the driver shall use either the designated lane, the lane to the immediate left of the right-hand lane, or the right-hand lane for traffic as permitted under this code. If, however, specific lane or lanes have not been designated on a divided highway having four or more clearly marked lanes for traffic in one direction, a vehicle may also be driven in the lane to the immediate left of the right-hand lane, unless otherwise prohibited under this code. This subdivision does not apply to a driver who is preparing for a left- or right-hand turn or who is in the process of entering into or exiting from a highway or to a driver who is required necessarily to drive in a lane other than the right-hand lane to continue on his or her intended route.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 300, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005.

And one from NC
(h) No person shall operate a motor vehicle on the highway at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law;
And
shall be driven in the right‑hand lane then available for thru traffic, or as close as practicable to the right‑hand curb or edge of the highway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn.

Now, that all being said, the UPS driver was in violation of the aggressive driver and wreckless driving statutes, and that is a crime.

So I agree with Tie. Fire them both.

d

Griff

Are you people clinically insane? Nothing happened beyond a feeder driver failing to follow methods and instruction. There was no accident, so how the hell are you trying to justify a firing? We have a procedure for discipline at UPS, figured I'd remind you of this since everyone here obviously has amnesia. I would go after backpay if I was this driver and if they try to make it stick I'd get a lawyer. I'd never be in that position though, driving like that doesn't save enough time to be worth the risk.

tieguy

Banned
Are you people clinically insane? Nothing happened beyond a feeder driver failing to follow methods and instruction. There was no accident, so how the hell are you trying to justify a firing? We have a procedure for discipline at UPS, figured I'd remind you of this since everyone here obviously has amnesia. I would go after backpay if I was this driver and if they try to make it stick I'd get a lawyer. I'd never be in that position though, driving like that doesn't save enough time to be worth the risk.

interesting argument. So if the driver came in and started shooting at everyone and in the process did not hit anyone or damage anything then he should not get fired either?

Griff

interesting argument. So if the driver came in and started shooting at everyone and in the process did not hit anyone or damage anything then he should not get fired either?

Thanks for answering the first sentence in my post.

paidslave

The car clearing provoked the feeder driver by not moving to the right lane and the driver flashed his lights letting him know of his presents. Slower drivers are supposed to move to the right lane!

This is a provoked incident and the driver should be written up at most!

Besides who drives around with a video camera? I am sure this is only part of the tape and there is always two sides to every story! The video guy was driving around provoking drivers!

myopinion!

paidslave

Well maybe you should try this? Well actually don't because you probably would be arrested! Walking around shooting at people?

You probably drive everyday like most of us and you should get fired just for making this comparison. You didn't hit anyone either speeding to work or running next day airs by 10:30 but you should be fired anyway. The driver was clearly in a hurry to make time commitments for the company! This driver of the car probably drives in blind spot too and when he gets cut off he doesn't know why!

You don't make any sense!

Sorry...

Last edited:

local804

BTW, 10 MPH under the speed limit? Feeder driver? Hmmmm, is that a work slowdown?

No wonder our feeder loads dont make it on time. And we have a late start time every day. And we deliver half of our air past commit.

d

If you ever worked the load/unload/smallsort area you would see the reason why the loads dont make it on time. Werent you on the safety committee when you worked at UPS? Do you remember space cushion? btw, didnt look like it was night time in the video and doing 80 and still getting run off the road? lol

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
1 He was not saying he needed one, he said he deliberatly made one. Big difference. Now everybody is passing him and pulling in front of him again, getting rid of his space cushion.

And yes, I was on the safety committee. and I do believe in using the cushion. But to allways drive 10 MPH below the speed limmit is just as bad safety wise as driving 10 above.

2 as far as the 80 MPH statement, two different times and places. That was my personal experience around Hotlanta at 2am.

d

raceanoncr

All I can say is this:

"I had no idea this guy had a camera in his car and was a reporter. Had I known this, I woulda put some duct tape on the logos. Problem solved!"